Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 79,332 times

Advertisements

I stumbled onto this website city-data.com and found the boards. I noticed a lot of people are very knowledgeable and have a lot of insight on the high desert area of SoCAl. I was wondering if you could help me with some info...

I live in OC, but would like to invest in land parcels in
Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville, Adelanto, Phelan, Oak Hills, Desert Knolls, Spring Valley Lake, Lucerne Valley or thereabouts.

Specifically, start with a subdivided lot in an area where homes already exist, and build a house to sell. My husband is an architect and will provide the plans. This weekend we are planning to drive to Adelanto and check out the area.

I have begun the research process, but maybe you can help me as far as best area, where there is not an excess inventory of homes, and land with infrastructure is readily available, etc. Unfortunately, the data on this website is very old. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
sanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,472,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post
I stumbled onto this website city-data.com and found the boards. I noticed a lot of people are very knowledgeable and have a lot of insight on the high desert area of SoCAl. I was wondering if you could help me with some info...

I live in OC, but would like to invest in land parcels in
Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville, Adelanto, Phelan, Oak Hills, Desert Knolls, Spring Valley Lake, Lucerne Valley or thereabouts.

Specifically, start with a subdivided lot in an area where homes already exist, and build a house to sell. My husband is an architect and will provide the plans. This weekend we are planning to drive to Adelanto and check out the area.

I have begun the research process, but maybe you can help me as far as best area, where there is not an excess inventory of homes, and land with infrastructure is readily available, etc. Unfortunately, the data on this website is very old. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
sanda

The area is absolutely beautiful, and you are completely away from the California congestion. I went there as a young child, and it's an awesome place. There is hardly any traffic, the summer's are extremely warm, but it does cool down at night. The low for the winter months is 31 with a high of about 60. The low for the summer months is about 61, with the high being 99 as a dry heat(weather.comApple Valley). I know little more, but head up there, I think you will like it alot.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 PM

852 posts, read 3,818,376 times
Do your homework in these areas, and avoid Adelanto at all costs. Desert Knolls also has a crime problem.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 AM

892 posts, read 2,373,476 times
Oak Hills, Phelan and Hesperia are the nicest in my opinion. Alot of people like and are moving to Apple Valley too. Nice town but too far up the hill for me. I'm not sure what I think of Victorville, I hear alot of bad about it. And Adelanto I'd definetly stay away from. I drive thru it alot and would not live there.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 PM

96 posts, read 751,616 times
Victorville is growing very fast, with housing tracts and shopping centers popping up left and right everywhere. All this new development gives the impression of a nice, clean area, but be careful. There's a lot of rundown neighborhoods amongst all the new, as well as a lot of questionable people. You can go into any grocery store up there to see who your neighbors will be if you want to get a really good idea, and decide for yourself. A lot of people seem to like it because it offers affordable housing in California, away from the congestion of LA. I, however, believe that in 10 years' time, it will be rundown just as it was before the housing boom hit, because you can build new as much as you want, but it is what it is and always will be. Also, it's a huge hike to get to the freeways from just about anywhere you'd live.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 PM

76 posts, read 400,478 times
I wld avoid Adelanto and Victorville, especially if you are plannning on a more upscale property to build. Hesperia can get pretty sketchy also although it has some nicer areas also.

Oak Hills is nice and growing but I think lots have gotten pretty expensive out there and it has so many houses being built a lot are sitting for awhile now adays.

I wld highly suggest Phelan if you want to go out that way to build. Can get large lots still and the school district is one of the best out that way, good selling point. It is more rural still which seems to attract people and still close enough to the shopping in Victorville, and down the hill, it is also a great commuter location 395 to the 15.

A lot of the high desert is very gang infested. A memer of the San Bernardino gang unit recently told a friend of ours that works up there as a principal that they spend over 75% of their man power hours in Adelanto. When I use to work up there in education we were told by the police that Adelanto (high desrt in general) was the Meth capital of the US.

Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:46 PM

Thank you all for the feedback, it's really appreciated. No wonder Adelanto has the cheapest land. However, it is not for me to live there, I just want to build to sell. So regardless of the area, the house can be adapted to existing demographics. What I was wondering is which areas have more of a need for new housing, and has less existing inventory...WNYerinSOCAL, thanks for the info. Please, keep the suggestions coming, i am eager to learn more, especially from the locals.
sanda

Old 02-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for the feedback, it's really appreciated. No wonder Adelanto has the cheapest land. However, it is not for me to live there, I just want to build to sell. So regardless of the area, the house can be adapted to existing demographics. What I was wondering is which areas have more of a need for new housing, and has less existing inventory...WNYerinSOCAL, thanks for the info. Please, keep the suggestions coming, i am eager to learn more, especially from the locals.
sanda
I only know about Victorville, but I can tell you that it's being bought out like crazy by major developers, so there probably isn't as much opportunity for land pruchases there, as might be the case in other areas in the high desert. However, you may be able to get a deal on something on the outskirts of the mass developments, giving you a golden opportunity to take advantage of an area that seems to be the trend of thousands of home buyers right now. Good luck to you.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeast View Post
I only know about Victorville, but I can tell you that it's being bought out like crazy by major developers, so there probably isn't as much opportunity for land pruchases there, as might be the case in other areas in the high desert. However, you may be able to get a deal on something on the outskirts of the mass developments, giving you a golden opportunity to take advantage of an area that seems to be the trend of thousands of home buyers right now. Good luck to you.
Thank you bkeast. I am looking at East Apple Valley now. Do you know anything about the new E-220 (aside from what's on the Apple Valley city website?)
sanda

Old 02-15-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you bkeast. I am looking at East Apple Valley now. Do you know anything about the new E-220 (aside from what's on the Apple Valley city website?)
sanda
I'm not familiar with it, but my husband might know something, as he travels around a lot for work. I'll ask him and let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties