Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:55 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,205 times

Advertisements

If you're hesitant about the OC lifestyle, then you probably won't like Temec. Same traffic, materialism, and crowds. Lotsa fake tans, fake boobs, and fake personalitites.

From what I've heard, a lot of the influx of people moving here have been from OC & SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:12 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Every SoCal suburb is essentially the same. There is little difference between suburban Temecula to suburban Santa Clarita to suburban PQ to suburban Yorba Linda to suburban Chino Hills...hell even nice suburban parts of San Bernardino are comparable. It's all pretty much the same in SoCal.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM

58 posts, read 372,493 times
Ok. Maybe I was a bit harsh on Temecula. However, Murrieta is right next door with the same population, and "Rural Riff-Raft" elements that I spoke of. It is changing however. Maybe I should move to Bear Creek.
At least Barry Bonds found that area home for awhile.

I agree with the person who spoke of Lake Elsinore. You hit the nail on the head. But Santa Ana is in the middle of a giant metropolis, and Elsinore is still rural (IMHO...my opinion). I would not compare those two.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 PM

32 posts, read 204,620 times
Ok now you're re-hashing an incident from FEBRUARY OF 2005 !. You're making out like this was all just frequent...Digging up old news from almost 4 years ago like if this the current on going thing. Pretty retarded if you ask me.

News Flash for you......The lifted truck desert bro's with lot of tats...is a entire Southern Cal Fad going on now.......the creators of that fad are a band called the KOTTON MOUTH KINGS FROM O.C....They started the SKIN and SRH clothing line which is the biggest and most popular clothing line for all of the lifted truck tatted bro's..and a multi million dollar industry....they started and created the whole culture of that in Southern Cal.......I'd rather live in quiet Temecula than Superficial O.C with their plastic fake people who have no individuality of their own because they live in the plastic bubble with their stuck up close minded personalities and look down on anyone less fortunate than them and look down on people who are minorities that serve them their fast food to their gluttoness desires because they're not of caucasian descent......and last thing O.C isn't all some great place in general......there are many many gangs in O.C from being a part of the LA area and there are more drugged out low life dope heads in Huntington beach and other nasty area like Garden Grove and Santa Ana than Temecula will ever have.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Airport View Post
Why do people compare Orange County and Temecula? THERE IS NO COMPARISON!
OC doesn't have all the tattooed tough guys in Big Trucks like Temecula does.
OC doesn't have all the lower class rural "rift-raft" that Temecula has.

I would take OC any day over Temecula. My girlfriend bought a place here, and I can't wait to get out of here.

I also heard about the Skinhead problem in the Murrieta and Temecula schools that was in the past. See article and link from below. I know the article is from 2005, things are getting better but I think people should know about intolerance issues in the past in Temecula / Murrieta. (If any high school kids would like to share stories please do so) All you have to do is google it and something will come up.
Inland Empire Sees Rise in Hate Crimes, Bucking Trend in State - Los Angeles Times

Archive for Monday, February 28, 2005
Inland Empire Sees Rise in Hate Crimes, Bucking Trend in State
By Lance Pugmire and Janet Wilson
February 28, 2005 in print edition B-1

Note This article includes corrections to the original version.

When a teen lifted his baggy shorts and flashed a swastika and German army tattoos at Kenny Turner outside his high school last June, the popular black Lake Elsinore senior just kept walking.

“It was the second-to-last day of the school year,” recalled Turner, now 19. “I didn’t want to be in trouble with one day left.”

But Turner and two witnesses said the young man, armed with an ice pick, ran after him and stabbed him while screaming a racial slur. It’s an incident that, although rare, is emblematic of a growing problem in the Inland Empire, authorities say.

The number of reported hate crimes in Riverside and San Bernardino counties has risen sharply in recent years, fueled in part by dramatic demographic changes that experts say are bringing more minorities into a region that has long been home to pockets of white supremacists. Other growing Southland suburbs – among them Santa Clarita, Lancaster and Simi Valley – have also had high-profile racially motivated crimes and incidents in recent years.

Although hate crimes declined 10% statewide in 2003, they rose a combined 19.5% in Riverside and San Bernardino counties, according to the most recent data from the state attorney general’s office.

As part of crackdowns by the FBI and sheriffs in the Inland Empire, 42 people associated with white hate groups have been arrested in the last 13 months on suspicion of weapons possession, drug dealing and other crimes.

Authorities announced in January that an alleged white supremacist in Riverside County’s Menifee was recruiting players on a local high school football team. Educators and prosecutors promptly vowed to work jointly to combat hate crime on campuses.

In the last two years, incidents in that county have included teens parading with a homemade flag emblazoned with swastikas in front of Lake Elsinore High School, and the beating of two black students by four white students at Murrieta Valley High School.

Last year, a black Norco High School junior found song lyrics on her desk about gunning down blacks. In May, a melee among 200 students at Temescal Canyon High School in Lake Elsinore was triggered by racial slurs. In March, Corona police arrested a dozen Centennial High School students after a racially motivated fight broke out.

In fast-growing Riverside County, experts and law enforcement officials say, rising racial hostility has been triggered by increasing racial diversity among newcomers.

Although the county’s white population rose 7% from 1990 to 2000, the number of blacks grew 61%, and Latinos and Asians increased 82% and 62% respectively, said James P. Allen, a Cal State Northridge professor who analyzes racial and ethnic data.

“Any kind of major demographic change has the potential to spark racial turbulence and hate crimes,” said Mark Potok, who monitors hate crimes nationally for the Southern Poverty Law Center in Birmingham, Ala. “Very often, hate crimes are someone acting out in response to some kind of real pressure, including sprawl and economic pressures.”

Despite the disturbing incidents and high-profile arrests, some local officials urge perspective. “We handle 15,000 felony cases a year, and we’re talking about less than 100 hate crimes we deal with for the entire county,” said Riverside County Dist. Atty. Grover Trask. He said he had seen an uptick in all categories of crime because of the fast-growing population.

In San Bernardino County, tract homes are springing up even in once isolated desert areas that can be attractive to gun-toting white supremacists. A task force of FBI agents and specially trained sheriff’s deputies teamed up in November 2003 to track white supremacists. So far, the investigation has yielded 24 arrests of members of the High Desert Freak Boys and Angry Nazi Soldiers. Using routine weapons and drug charges, authorities say, they have crippled the groups.

In other cases, authorities have used anti-gang laws to charge suspected white supremacists, seeking stiffer penalties and bans on congregating.

“Anywhere in the county where we see a problem, whether it’s street gangs, outlaw biker gangs or these white supremacists, we are going to do whatever we can to combat the crime and violence that they bring with them into our communities,” said Cindy Beavers, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.

Among the factors experts attribute to the rising hostility include absentee parents who commute long hours to coastal jobs, alienated kids finding “street” families in gangs, and the longtime local presence of Tom Metzger, the former Ku Klux Klan grand dragon.

“The unfortunate reality is that this [southwest] corner of Riverside County is California’s own northern Idaho,” said John Ruiz, an assistant county district attorney who successfully prosecuted young alleged Hammerskins white supremacists in 2002 for attacking a black man with beer bottles, boots and razors in Temecula wine country.

Metzger, 66, who now leads the White Aryan Resistance from his home in Fallbrook, said southwest Riverside County’s “chemistry is perfect for more racism.”

“There are a lot of white people in Temecula, people who have fled Orange County or Los Angeles County with the code phrase that they were ‘fleeing from crime,’ when in fact the majority were fleeing nonwhite crime,” Metzger said. “The growing pains of throwing kids into forced integration causes a negative reaction in this burgeoning area that’s becoming more nonwhite.”

Three black Murrieta Valley High School students last year filed lawsuits against their district and several white students for $2.8 million, alleging that they were taunted and beaten.

The suits allege that on Aug. 20, 2003, a black student was violently fouled by a white student during a basketball game, prompting another white student to yell racial slurs. Later that day, the suits allege, two of the white students confronted one of the black students outside the principal’s office and barked out more racial slurs. When the black student tried to walk away, he was knocked to the ground and severely beaten.

The school district’s attorney did not return repeated phone calls to his office. Janine Hall, mother of two of the white boys named in the suit, said her sons “keep getting crap everywhere they go,” insisting that “their story hasn’t been told straight” but declining to elaborate.

Alan Young, director of student support for the Murrieta Valley School District, said he could not discuss the case, citing the lawsuits, for which hearings are set in early March. But Young said hate crime complaints were down sharply, from about 50 last year to a dozen so far this year.

“I think there are racial tensions in every high school in this country,” Young said. “We actually see evidence that really is kind of declining here.”

Sharron Lindsay, superintendent of the Lake Elsinore Unified School District, said she was “outraged” by the stabbing of Kenny Turner in front of his high school and by the swastika flag paraded in front of school. But she said 99% of students in the integrated, 140-square-mile district got along well. The district has swelled from 14,000 six years ago to 20,000 now. Many new arrivals are minorities.

“I’m proud of our students,” she said. “This school district has rejoiced in its diversity.”

Business leaders, educators and students met last summer to discuss how to work and live together, she said. In her district and others nearby, students have formed “unity groups” and hold forums on how to break down racial barriers. More than 7,000 residents held a parade for tolerance on Lake Elsinore’s Main Street in November, she said.

She said the area clearly had “isolated pockets” of white supremacy because of its history as a rural area with Ku Klux Klan activity.

Last month, Armando Perez, 19, pleaded guilty to a felony hate crime assault for stabbing Turner. Perez could not be reached for comment.

Quinn Baranski, the assistant district attorney who handled the case, said that when a judge asked Perez if the attack was based on race, Perez replied, “It definitely was,” in a proud, defiant tone. Earlier, Perez told sheriff’s deputies that he is white, Baranski said.

Perez was sentenced to two years in prison, but between time served and possible time off for good behavior, he could be free in six months.

Turner, now a freshman at Mt. San Jacinto College, says he feels let down by the criminal justice system, and by his school.

“To think he could be out in six months, that seems to be part of the problem,” Turner said. “These guys keep getting away with things. So much of what they do, nobody notices or realizes. They either don’t want to see it, or don’t pay attention to it

For the record
Hate crimes – An article in Monday’s California section about hate crimes in the Inland Empire said the Southern Poverty Law Center is in Birmingham, Ala. It is in Montgomery, Ala. ↩

Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDude View Post
Ok now you're re-hashing an incident from FEBRUARY OF 2005 !. You're making out like this was all just frequent...Digging up old news from almost 4 years ago like if this the current on going thing. Pretty retarded if you ask me.

News Flash for you......The lifted truck desert bro's with lot of tats...is a entire Southern Cal Fad going on now.......the creators of that fad are a band called the KOTTON MOUTH KINGS FROM O.C....They started the SKIN and SRH clothing line which is the biggest and most popular clothing line for all of the lifted truck tatted bro's..and a multi million dollar industry....they started and created the whole culture of that in Southern Cal.......I'd rather live in quiet Temecula than Superficial O.C with their plastic fake people who have no individuality of their own because they live in the plastic bubble with their stuck up close minded personalities and look down on anyone less fortunate than them and look down on people who are minorities that serve them their fast food to their gluttoness desires because they're not of caucasian descent......and last thing O.C isn't all some great place in general......there are many many gangs in O.C from being a part of the LA area and there are more drugged out low life dope heads in Huntington beach and other nasty area like Garden Grove and Santa Ana than Temecula will ever have.....
Is there a better place to live than Temecula in your mind?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 PM

214 posts, read 1,083,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Is there a better place to live than Temecula in your mind?
Not in mine...at least not right now. Affordability vs quality of life, Temecula is a great bet. You can get a nice, large newer home for 2.5 to 3x your income and live in a relatively safe and beautiful area with beach access less than 30 minutes away. It is hot in the summer and local jobs aren't plentiful but you have access to jobs in SD, OC and the outer edges of LA. There's plenty to do in town, restaurants, shopping, outdoor activities, good schools, etc etc. All of the *nice* parts of So Cal for cheap and with driving access to world-class dining and entertainment (San Diego, Los Angeles, Hollywood). You can live the "So Cal" life out here but at a slower pace and for much less.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 PM

jobs in oc and outer edges of LA?...Lets face it Temecula is far away from everything

Old 02-21-2009, 01:14 AM

214 posts, read 1,083,851 times
Quote:
jobs in oc and outer edges of LA?...Lets face it Temecula is far away from everything
Depends what "everything" is. It might be far away for *YOU* but that just means the area might not be right for *YOU*. I commuted to South OC for several years and never had any problems (CA 74). Also worked in North SD and had a quick 45 minute drive. I now work at home along with most of my friends out here. My neighbor works for a local software company. My friend's parents work at Abbott...all of our parents live out here, our wives and girlfriends, friends, etc. So our *everything* is right here and it's awesome. If your life (work, friends, family) are somewhere else then it doesn't make sense to move to Temecula for its affordability. I'm just saying it's an excellent place when compared to the alternatives.

The times I didn't work at home, I had the option of commuting to SD or OC for work. There isn't another suburban area with the same quality of life, access to large job markets for a comparable price. Sure, we don't have world class amenities but we aren't far enough away to make them prohibitive. I regularly take weekend trips to Balboa park or go see shows in Hollywood or have a nice dinner in Laguna Beach. And I get the pleasure of a nice relaxing drive back, listening to music and coming home to my tidy cul-de-sac and my cheap mortgage payment. Would I rather live in South OC for the same price? Of course! But I also won't overextend myself and pay more than 2.5x my income for a tract home.

So yes, if your entire world is somewhere else and you'd like to stay there, then Temecula probably isn't an option. If you're starting fresh or if you have family/friends in the area or a job offer then it is an awesome area. If you have the income or would like to stretch yourself to live somewhere "better", then by all means do it. Temecula is a value option, but a very unique value in the fact that it has a sense of place, good schools, low crime and numerous amenities.

I think the main problem is that people have a very narrow view of their own areas. Anything outside of *their* turf is far away and inferior. I sometimes recognize this in myself but I try to purposely open myself to the views of people in other areas. Corona for example - it's not my idea place but I can definitely see how folks really like the area. It is a great choice if your life is in LA or OC but you'd like a more affordable option.

My favorite thing to do with old friends that visit for the first time from LA/OC is to take them down to the beach from Temecula. After trekking an hour+ on the 15 and 91 and getting to this *remote* place, I take a short jot down the 76 and we're looking at the pacific quicker than it takes them in LA. Most people just don't realize how close to the coast we are. Jaws have dropped. But it illustrates a point I try to drive home. Just because the area is far away from *you* doesn't mean it is far away from *everything*. The world really doesn't revolve around *you*

Old 02-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
Depends what "everything" is. It might be far away for *YOU* but that just means the area might not be right for *YOU*. I commuted to South OC for several years and never had any problems (CA 74). Also worked in North SD and had a quick 45 minute drive. I now work at home along with most of my friends out here. My neighbor works for a local software company. My friend's parents work at Abbott...all of our parents live out here, our wives and girlfriends, friends, etc. So our *everything* is right here and it's awesome. If your life (work, friends, family) are somewhere else then it doesn't make sense to move to Temecula for its affordability. I'm just saying it's an excellent place when compared to the alternatives.

The times I didn't work at home, I had the option of commuting to SD or OC for work. There isn't another suburban area with the same quality of life, access to large job markets for a comparable price. Sure, we don't have world class amenities but we aren't far enough away to make them prohibitive. I regularly take weekend trips to Balboa park or go see shows in Hollywood or have a nice dinner in Laguna Beach. And I get the pleasure of a nice relaxing drive back, listening to music and coming home to my tidy cul-de-sac and my cheap mortgage payment. Would I rather live in South OC for the same price? Of course! But I also won't overextend myself and pay more than 2.5x my income for a tract home.

So yes, if your entire world is somewhere else and you'd like to stay there, then Temecula probably isn't an option. If you're starting fresh or if you have family/friends in the area or a job offer then it is an awesome area. If you have the income or would like to stretch yourself to live somewhere "better", then by all means do it. Temecula is a value option, but a very unique value in the fact that it has a sense of place, good schools, low crime and numerous amenities.

I think the main problem is that people have a very narrow view of their own areas. Anything outside of *their* turf is far away and inferior. I sometimes recognize this in myself but I try to purposely open myself to the views of people in other areas. Corona for example - it's not my idea place but I can definitely see how folks really like the area. It is a great choice if your life is in LA or OC but you'd like a more affordable option.

My favorite thing to do with old friends that visit for the first time from LA/OC is to take them down to the beach from Temecula. After trekking an hour+ on the 15 and 91 and getting to this *remote* place, I take a short jot down the 76 and we're looking at the pacific quicker than it takes them in LA. Most people just don't realize how close to the coast we are. Jaws have dropped. But it illustrates a point I try to drive home. Just because the area is far away from *you* doesn't mean it is far away from *everything*. The world really doesn't revolve around *you*
and.....this is YOUR opinion!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 PM

32 posts, read 204,620 times
Quote:
and.....this is YOUR opinion!
How is it his opinon???? It was his reality....He has lived and worked in these places from years....I'd take his input of his LIVING REALITY EXPERIENCES in these places over your actual opinion of thought guessing facts any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties