Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 PM

5 posts, read 6,074 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in San Diego but recently I've decided to relocate to a much cheaper area. I've been researching different areas around California, and it seems like the Inland Empire is the only area I can afford within my $400-600/month budget (preferably less, but doubtful ). I'm also a college student so I'd like to avoid long commutes to school.. after all it's hard enough getting up in the morning as it is! So with all that being said any suggestions on nice, affordable cities would really help me out tons. And if you have any other areas in mind other than the I.E. please let me know as well.

Also, I'd like to avoid finding a roommate. Been there, done that- never works out!!

Last edited by TawnyC; 11-25-2008 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
400-600 for what? an apt?

you'd have a better chance of finding a room for rent close to school at that price

Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
Where do you go to school? That will help with the commute concern. This is the problem with being young, without money yet, and going to college in SoCal....any place that's fun and interesting is too expensive and the places you can afford are too far from any good schools and tend to be dull for a person in that stage in life. Maybe try renting a room as bhcompy suggested, but for me that causes other kinds of worries and concerns.....

Old 11-26-2008, 04:20 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Umm, I don't know what resource you've been looking at, but there's nothing in the IE for $400-600/mo, unless, maybe if you rented a room in the Rialto area, which is one of the worst areas. The average monthly rent for a tiny apt in a nice area of the IE is $1000+/mo.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:11 AM

I've actually seen a couple of listings around Victorville, Hemet, Needles, etc. Also more up north like Chico, Modesto, Fresno... I'm sure the living quality in these places aren't top notch, but for $600 I can't exactly complain. I was just wondering if there were any other cities I could add to my list of places to research, but apparently not?

Also, I would just be attending the nearest community college at whichever city I find the most affordable rent

Old 11-27-2008, 01:14 AM

And I'm really surprised that a place in the IE would cost $1000, since that's approximately how much rent would cost for a decent place here in San Diego... From what I've been hearing, it seemed to me like the IE had much cheaper and affordable housing

Old 11-27-2008, 11:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TawnyC View Post
And I'm really surprised that a place in the IE would cost $1000, since that's approximately how much rent would cost for a decent place here in San Diego... From what I've been hearing, it seemed to me like the IE had much cheaper and affordable housing
The Inland Empire is like anywhere else with a range of housing costs. Ten years ago when my brother was renting a one bedroom apartment in Rancho Cucamonga he was paying around $925/month. I don't know what it is now but $1000/month does not seem to be unrealistic. What is unrealistic, in my opinion, is the expectation of renting (without roommates) a place (that is clean and safe) for $400-$600 per month.

Are you from San Diego, i.e. "native" with family in the area? If so, why not stay with the family while in school and then worry about housing costs after you finish school?

Old 11-28-2008, 11:50 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I agree w/ MIKEETC. I'm at an age where I should have been out of my parents' house & living on my own, but rent is so darn expensive & I'm in school & have an on-call type job, so there's no way I can afford to be out on my own.

Hopefully w/i the next 2-4 yrs, I can buy a place. I don't want to rent. Rent's way too high to be paying month after month & NEVER owning anything. I want to own something!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,954 times
I currently rent rooms to students in Yucaipa in large home. Where are you a student?

Old 11-29-2008, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,954 times
I also lived in san diego and worked for 25 years. I currently rent to a student and is working out great. I have just contacted loma linda for info to rent rooms to students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties