U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM
 
196 posts, read 604,713 times
Reputation: 106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Temecula: Wine Country
I'll elaborate a bit more on Temecula. Even though the wine country areas of the city have some of the largest homes in the Inland Empire, other very affluent areas of Temecula also include Morgan Hill, Santiago Estates, Meadowview, and to a lesser extent Crowne Hill.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2008, 04:37 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
214 posts, read 1,040,244 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
I'll elaborate a bit more on Temecula. Even though the wine country areas of the city have some of the largest homes in the Inland Empire, other very affluent areas of Temecula also include Morgan Hill, Santiago Estates, Meadowview, and to a lesser extent Crowne Hill.
There is also Bear Creak in Murrieta. Exclusive, very rich area.

Temecula has unique characteristics because it is geographically seperated from most of the San Bernardino/Riverside metropolis which has a large Los Angeles influence (and feel). Temecula has been largely inhabited by folks from San Diego and Orange Country and have thus demanded a life style similar to that.

Temecula is also unique in the fact that we actually get ocean breezes through the Rainbow Gap (it is the reason we can actually grow grapes good enough for wine). We're also fairly close to the coast (about a 25 minute drive to Oceanside with no traffic) I don't know of any other IE city that shares those qualities. Because of that there are far more affluent neighborhoods in Temecula than other cities in the IE.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,639,067 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
There is also Bear Creak in Murrieta. Exclusive, very rich area.

Temecula has unique characteristics because it is geographically seperated from most of the San Bernardino/Riverside metropolis which has a large Los Angeles influence (and feel). Temecula has been largely inhabited by folks from San Diego and Orange Country and have thus demanded a life style similar to that.

Temecula is also unique in the fact that we actually get ocean breezes through the Rainbow Gap (it is the reason we can actually grow grapes good enough for wine). We're also fairly close to the coast (about a 25 minute drive to Oceanside with no traffic) I don't know of any other IE city that shares those qualities. Because of that there are far more affluent neighborhoods in Temecula than other cities in the IE.
Chino Hills and Canyon Lake are technically more affluent.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
214 posts, read 1,040,244 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Chino Hills and Canyon Lake are technically more affluent.
I agree. I am not sure why Chino Hills has constantly stood out from the rest of the IE but I am inclined to think it has to do with the proximity to Brea/Fullerton/etc as well as having geography that demands a premium (hills/view lots) and good city planning? These are all guesses however.

Canyon Lake is a special case, being a "private" gated city has it's advantages when it comes to affluence levels.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 PM
 
816 posts, read 3,640,070 times
Reputation: 425
Affluent and expensive, especially when it comes to the Inland Empire, are not one and the same. Yes, there are areas in both counties that have high-end homes and incomes. But I would say that there aren't any areas that would be considered affluent in the general sense. Where are the limos? top-of-the-market boutiques? celebrities? penthouses? True affluence needs an aspirational quality.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,639,067 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Affluent and expensive, especially when it comes to the Inland Empire, are not one and the same. Yes, there are areas in both counties that have high-end homes and incomes. But I would say that there aren't any areas that would be considered affluent in the general sense. Where are the limos? top-of-the-market boutiques? celebrities? penthouses? True affluence needs an aspirational quality.
Affluent in the general sense is not limos, celebs, penthouses. If this were, this would exclude old money (I've seen old money, it's not celebs and limos. It's more business/dignitaries/politicians and more subtle forms of transportation).

Santa Barbara, for example, has few high end stores (go on State St. or Coast Village Rd. in Montecito). Yet, the mansions would indicate that it is a wealthy area. The big purchases are not done in Santa Barbara, but the day to day or simple luxury purchases are done here. This is because the area can't sustain a Chanel, there are simply too few people living here. OC and LA have numerically more people, thus can sustain a Chanel.

Affluence is simply being significantly above the norm financially. With that said, high million dollar listings and strong incomes are affluent. Chino Hills has a median income that is significantly higher than the national median. In fact, it is slightly lower than Beverly Hills. It is slightly lower than Yorba Linda's and Newport Beach's (104k Chino Hills, 110k BH, 113k YL, 150k NB). Since the median income is considered at the top 20% mark of the nation, it would be considered affluent. Because it is the median, that means 50% of the population make more than 104k. Snoop Dogg lives in Chino Hills, so I guess that is a celeb.

The IE has affluent areas, but, since they do not contain a lot of people they can't sustain the very very very high end shops. But, still there are some affluent areas.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
 
1,831 posts, read 5,089,254 times
Reputation: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
If you had a choice between living in Phoenix, Arizona and the Inland Empire, which would you select?
Tough call ... both are really hot and smoggy during the summers.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
419 posts, read 1,389,268 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The IE has affluent areas, but, since they do not contain a lot of people they can't sustain the very very very high end shops. But, still there are some affluent areas.
Truly, the exception and not the norm.

There are some enclaves (The Country in Diamond Bar, for instance) that are quite deluxe. Claremont has some posh stuff. A more common/accurate stereotype of "affluent" IE dwellers consist of ex-OC and LA poseurs that want to live the luxe life and suffer the commute consequences.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
214 posts, read 1,040,244 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
Truly, the exception and not the norm.

There are some enclaves (The Country in Diamond Bar, for instance) that are quite deluxe. Claremont has some posh stuff. A more common/accurate stereotype of "affluent" IE dwellers consist of ex-OC and LA poseurs that want to live the luxe life and suffer the commute consequences.

Not everyone commutes. From my experience the majority of "affluent" folks out here (Temecula/Murrieta) or local business owners or have been in the valley for 20+ years and held land before the area grew exponentially.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
2,498 posts, read 11,003,854 times
Reputation: 1619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
Truly, the exception and not the norm.

There are some enclaves (The Country in Diamond Bar, for instance) that are quite deluxe. Claremont has some posh stuff. A more common/accurate stereotype of "affluent" IE dwellers consist of ex-OC and LA poseurs that want to live the luxe life and suffer the commute consequences.
Diamond Bar and Claremont are in Los Angeles County so would that be considered part of the Inland Empire though?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top