U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:30 PM

15,083 posts, read 19,531,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Diamond Bar and Claremont are in Los Angeles County so would that be considered part of the Inland Empire though?
I believe so. The name "Inland Empire" is not an official term used by any government entity and there are no official boundaries unlike Los Angeles or Orange Counties. If I understand it correctly, "Inland Empire" was a marketing term used to sell or boost the region and help differentiate it from the (more) urbanized coastal regions of Southern California. Geographically, I've always understood it as anywhere between the Santa Ana Mountains on the south/west and the San Gabriel Mountains on the north, and San Bernardino Mountains on the north/east.

Using this definition, Claremont and Diamond Bar are in the Inland Empire. Whether those who live there think so is another matter entirely. Therein lies the problems with these physical distinctions. Psychologically/philosophically residents in Diamond Bar might feel a closer 'connection' to Orange County. I grew up in Pomona; Diamond Bar always seemed to me to be the 'overflow' from Orange County (not saying that's a bad thing). Claremont always seemed to have more in common with other "Foothill" communities - Foothill as in cities along the base of the San Gabriel Mountains such as Upland, Glendora, Arcadia, and, further west, Pasadena.

The flip side of the Inland Empire definition is, if we stick with it, then communities north of the San Bernardino Mountains in the High Desert such a Victorville, Adelanto, Hesperia, and Apple Valley, and those south of the Santa Ana Mountains such as Temecula and Murrieta, would not be considered to be part of the Inland Empire. It could be argued whether they are in or out of the Inland Empire but I'll leave that for another thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 AM

419 posts, read 1,389,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Diamond Bar and Claremont are in Los Angeles County so would that be considered part of the Inland Empire though?
If you ask them, no.

If you ask folks in LA, yes. They're on the outermost edge of LA.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:32 AM

419 posts, read 1,389,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
Not everyone commutes.
Like I said, the exception -- not the norm. If you're willing to think a second time, spend a few morning minutes on the 91.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
From my experience the majority of "affluent" folks out here (Temecula/Murrieta) or local business owners or have been in the valley for 20+ years and held land before the area grew exponentially.
The "majority"? Have you counted the stucco boxes? There are simply too many of them compared with the number of local establishments, which are overwhemingly dwarfed by chain stores.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM

453 posts, read 1,241,532 times
That is an interesting topic in itself on what really constitutes the Inland Empire. Generally speaking, it would include areas in the 909 and 951 area codes. But, I think within the Inland Empire, there are subcategories as I would put it.

Diamond Bar, San Dimas, La Verne, Pomona, Claremont are in eastern Los Angeles County, but for the most part in the 909 area code. These areas may seem have to more in common in feel with other parts of Los Angeles County than see a place like Rialto, Colton, San Bernardino.

I grew up in Upland which is a foothill community that borders Claremont on the west, Rancho Cucamonga on the east, Montclair on the southwest, Ontario on the south. The local newspaper- the Daily Bulletin would dub the eastern part of Los Angeles County (Diamond Bar, San Dimas, La Verne, Pomona, Claremont) and the western part of San Bernardino County (Chino, Chino Hills, Montclair, Upland, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga and event Fontana) as the “Inland Valley” a subsection of the Inland Empire (see Inland Empire (California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)) . This is sometimes referred to as the “Pomona Valley.” (see Pomona Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which lies east of the San Gabriel Valley and sometimes can be seen as transition point between the Inland Empire and the eastern San Gabriel Valley.

Growing up in Upland, I felt the western part of San Bernardino County foothill areas (Upland, Rancho Cucamonga) had more in common with eastern Los Angeles County. I did not feel a connection with San Bernardino and hardly went there. I went to grade school in Upland and Pomona (a private school), junior high school in Upland and high school in Upland and Claremont. When I used to give out my phone number and gave it with the 909 area code, people would think I was from San Bernardino or Riverside (Riverside also used to be part of 909, now it is part of 951) and I hated that connection and assumption).

Thus, my point is the Inland Empire is a broad category and needs to be subdivided.

Okay, enough of my rambling. This actually could be another topic.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 PM

816 posts, read 3,639,856 times
When I was a kid, the area west of the 15 (back when it wasn't a freeway all the way) was called the West End, and Riverside-San Bernardino-Redlands was Tri-Cities. The term Inland Empire wasn't used that much. And the High Desert is not part of the IE.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:45 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,808,975 times
Temecula Wine Country, & the hills above Temecula, known as De Luz
The hills above Murrieta, known as La Cresta
Multimillion dollar homes in these areas. Oh yeah, and in the La Cresta / De Lux hills, a few lucky people get distant ocean views . I was shocked when I saw photos for some real estate related work I was doing.

Edit: I would choose Temecula over Phoenix any day. Lumping all of the "IE" together is a bad idea. It's boring where I live, but not the dumpy sticks or ghetto that people imagine all of the IE to be.

Last edited by orangeapple; 12-17-2008 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 05:46 PM

35,660 posts, read 62,958,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Riverside: Hawarden, Canyon Crest, Arlington Heights, Orange Crest, Lake Hills Reserve, Mockingbird Canyon
Corona: Sierra del Oro, The Retreat, Dos Lagos, parts of Eastvale
Norco: Norco Hills
Chino Hills: Most of the city
Chino: The parts closest to Chino Hills
Redlands: Southern Redlands
Rancho Cucamonga: Alta Loma (near the mountain)
Moreno Valley: Reche Canyon (albeit more middle class, still contains some higher end housing selling in the 800k), Northern part of Rancho Belago (again same situation, mostly higher end horse ranches).
Lake Elsinore: Tuscany Hills, parts along the Ortega Highway
Temecula: Wine Country
Murreita: Take Clinton Keith Rd. Southwest in the hills.
Wildomar: Hills above Lake Elsinore (very small pocket of million dollar listings, rural estates)
Upland: San Antonio Heights
San Bernardino: Northern SB
Ontario: Areas closest to Rancho Cucamonga

All these areas are above upper middle class. Some more than others. For example, the Moreno Valley, Wildomar, Lake Elsinore, San Bernardino, Ontario areas are closer to upper middle class, but still on the higher end. The majority of the IE is middle class. There are a lot more upper middle class areas. Most families in the IE make between 50-90k. Again though, the area has grown in affluence, but still mostly middle class in character.

Downtown Riverside is the only place that is undergoing any sort of gentrification. This is not on the same scale as downtown Los Angeles. Gentrification implies age and urbanicity. Most of the IE is too young and still too rural/suburban in many parts to experience gentrification.

I still would choose the IE. Cooler weather, closer to the ocean, and close to other entertainment.
great info.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:03 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,235,193 times
That was great info. ^

Does the Palm Springs area have good schools? Public or Private?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:40 PM

214 posts, read 1,040,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
Like I said, the exception -- not the norm. If you're willing to think a second time, spend a few morning minutes on the 91.

The "majority"? Have you counted the stucco boxes? There are simply too many of them compared with the number of local establishments, which are overwhemingly dwarfed by chain stores.
About 60% of the residents commute out and it is fairly evenly spread between OC and San Diego (you can attribute much of the 91 traffic to Riverside/Corona/Norco). 40% is the exception, but still a fair number.

I said the "majority" of affluent - majority was being used as an adjective to modify "affluent". I was in no way implying that the majority of residents in general were affluent, it is a solidly middle-class area. You seem to be solely focused on retail ownership ('dwarfed by chain stores'). Temecula has a well established and growing industrial base with a mixture of regional and local firms.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not saying Temecula or Murrieta can compare to LA/OC/SD in terms of affluence, but when speaking in relative terms there are "more affluent" neighborhoods and areas with actual wealth, custom homes with land and luxurious appointments.

You also have to understand that affluent folks in this area are much less concerned with keeping up images or appearances that would be demanded upon them in the coastal areas. It is less pomp and circumstance and flashy displays of wealth, but there are plenty of high net worth people that call the IE home.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 PM

32 posts, read 111,578 times
It is hot in Phoenix. Hotter than here. Depends on what type of weather you like. I like the climate of the inland empire, overall. Tough choice between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties