Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:15 PM

67 posts, read 324,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude25 View Post
Redlands has 2 gangs that work for the mexican mafia in the north. and the southern part also has increasing gang activity.
Are there no gangs in Rancho?Not being sarcastic just curious......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:57 PM

41 posts, read 106,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jookie View Post
I will be moving to the IE in June along with my wife and three kids for a one year stint. My job will be in Fontana but I am considering living in either Redlands or Rancho Cucamonga.

Is one of these towns more of a "community"? It seems that Redlands has more family type activities available but am not sure if RC is as well represented on the internet for family activities.

Will the daily commute from Redlands to Fontana be that much longer than from RC to Fontana (Sierra just off the I-10)? Granted, I read of many people driving for 2+ hrs into LA but I am hoping to have it less than 30-40 minutes each way.

Any other pros and cons about these two towns I should know about?

Thanks.

Redlands is overall a nicer town. I think they are having issues keeping business in the downtown area.
Some beautiful homes in Redlands.
Positives: Nice place, low cost of living.
Negatives: Smoggy, long commute to LA (if you're commuting), San Bernardino and Riverside economies, are sinking faster than SoCal as a whole.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:14 AM

73 posts, read 306,020 times
Wow, Redlands must've changed a lot since the last time I lived in the IE (over 15 years ago). Redlands back then was considered very undeveloped and barren. "Beverly Hills of the IE"? No kidding. I must now investigate.

Anyway, R.C. is developed, established, and one of the crown jewels of the IE (Chino Hills covets the top spot). R.C. is also crowded and has a mall that draws all the riff raff from bordering cities.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsigma View Post
Wow, Redlands must've changed a lot since the last time I lived in the IE (over 15 years ago). Redlands back then was considered very undeveloped and barren. "Beverly Hills of the IE"? No kidding. I must now investigate.

Anyway, R.C. is developed, established, and one of the crown jewels of the IE (Chino Hills covets the top spot). R.C. is also crowded and has a mall that draws all the riff raff from bordering cities.
Did you actually ever spend much time there? Redlands is and has always been a city with a small town atmosphere, but a fairly upscale living experience.

To the Op (which actually posted almost a year ago) the difference: Redlands is charm and small town, RC is new, lots of comtemporary housing and shopping and doesn't have quite the personality. Both offer very good schools.

Nita

Old 11-01-2009, 11:27 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
I'd vote for redlands as well (even seeing this is an old thread, you may have already picked one?)

Old 11-01-2009, 01:51 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsigma View Post
Anyway, R.C. is developed, established, and one of the crown jewels of the IE (Chino Hills covets the top spot).
Eeeek. Developed and established, as opposed to Redlands? Depends on what you're looking for. Rancho Cucamonga may be the crown jewel if you're looking for tract houses, big box retailers and lots of chain restaurants. You can't even compare these two cities.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:29 PM

19 posts, read 86,369 times
Curious to know if you have made your choice and moved yet? We are considering a move also and looking at the same areas....either Rancho Cucamonga, Redlands, Upton....not positive yet. My husband will be working in the Fontana/Rancho Cucamonga area and was wondering what the commute is like and the overall feel of the area? We also have 2 young children so living somewhere with a "family" feel and is overall a safe area are high priorities. Any info or opinions you could share would be most helpful.....we have never been to the area and are currently living out of state, Thanks!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:49 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore3305 View Post
Curious to know if you have made your choice and moved yet? We are considering a move also and looking at the same areas....either Rancho Cucamonga, Redlands, Upton....not positive yet. My husband will be working in the Fontana/Rancho Cucamonga area and was wondering what the commute is like and the overall feel of the area? We also have 2 young children so living somewhere with a "family" feel and is overall a safe area are high priorities. Any info or opinions you could share would be most helpful.....we have never been to the area and are currently living out of state, Thanks!
My advice: Don't listen to the naysayers who tell you to "avoid all of Fontana", the lion's share of whom don't even live here. Take it from a Fontana resident... there's nothing wrong with North Fontana, as far as ghettoness, blight and crime go. It's not my style of living mainly because I don't like new "master-planned" sterile neighborhoods with tiny yards, but that's simply personal preference.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:56 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My advice: Don't listen to the naysayers who tell you to "avoid all of Fontana", the lion's share of whom don't even live here. Take it from a Fontana resident... there's nothing wrong with North Fontana, as far as ghettoness, blight and crime go. It's not my style of living mainly because I don't like new "master-planned" sterile neighborhoods with tiny yards, but that's simply personal preference.
Nothing wrong with south Fontana either - isn't Southridge a master-planned community also?

(Not my preference either!)

Old 11-07-2009, 04:03 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Yeah, but it has crime problems that come with Section 8, lots of bank-owned homes and transient apartment dwellers.

I'm in my own little world here in the flats South of the freeway... only one next door neighbor, an old farm house, 2 acres and lots of fruit trees and grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties