Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,858 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Needles and lived there for about 20 years. Anyway, I have personally seen the thermometer read 132 degrees in the shade of my parents front porch. My parents were kind enough to NOT get any type of air conditioner until AFTER I moved out of the house (I am the baby of the family). While it may be a DRY heat - the hottest time of the year occurs during monsoon season (early July to late August) - swampers (evaporative coolers) are absolutely USLESS for cooling - basically live in the river or your bathtub (that includes the baby). Pets need to be given COPIOUS amounts of cool water and shade if they cannot be in the house. Most locals end up staying indoors during the day and come out at night - have you noticed that most stores are open 24 hours??? It gets really entertaining when a monsoon breaks - everyone comes out of their houses and runs crazy up and down the street, but as soon as the rain stops - everyone is gone. Another issue that can be annoying is the Santa Ana winds during the winter - they start up and continue to blow for about 72 hours straight. Hope the info helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:27 AM

18 posts, read 22,682 times
Im planning a move to Needles myself this year. Ive been watching the rental market for over a year now. I think it may be an affordable place for someone on SSD like myself.

I agree Living in Kingman Arizona now the heat is a drag. And Swamp coolers are CRAP dont ever believe anyone promoting a swamp cooler. My house had a new one installed last summer...I turn it on an the digital thermometer on my AC unti goes UP 5 degrees...I use the Window shaker AC units an pay 125.00 a month for power to run them...Its Much more comfortible then sitting in a pool of your own sweat with a swamper blowing hot wet air on you....YUCKKKK....trust me..

One drag of Needles is only one grocery store...I hope Basha's doesnt close it down..the last I read the company was going to keep it open due to 5000 people depending on it solely...But ..Money talks I may have to pack coolers an buy food in Bullhead...I hope not.

Im a little leary of the hospital situation, However I have heard good things about it.. Its not far from bigger facilities so Im not gonna freak out over it.

I do have one issue I would like some input on..I like many are makin this move to California for Prop 215 Medicinal Marijuana laws. Is this an Issue with Landlords in california?..I would of course follow the laws to the letter. Nobody would know except the landlord of my status. Is this something most landlords ask or inquire about?.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAKMAN View Post

I do have one issue I would like some input on..I like many are makin this move to California for Prop 215 Medicinal Marijuana laws. Is this an Issue with Landlords in california?..
It's an issue with most law enforcement agencies.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 PM

18 posts, read 22,682 times
Really...The local law in needles dont honor the states law?. I know San Bernadino was a holdout county. Since the entire state is now under prop 215 law enforcement "cant" legally discriminate against the now "law abiding card holders".

I never considered the police as a problem after the law was finalised. I was wondering how landlords were reacting to housing Legal smokers of Medical Marijuana in their rental properties.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:13 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
I'm a teacher and so is my wife, out southeast, and we are thinking about moving to Needles. We love hot weather and the desert. We want to be in California because it is a state that actually values education and teachers.

I'm just assuming, but the cost of living in Needles has to be a lot less than living on the cost in or next to urban areas? My dream is to build a new home and have it completely powered by solar. I figured I wouldn't have a problem doing that in Needles.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:00 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a teacher and so is my wife, out southeast, and we are thinking about moving to Needles. We love hot weather and the desert. We want to be in California because it is a state that actually values education and teachers.

I'm just assuming, but the cost of living in Needles has to be a lot less than living on the cost in or next to urban areas? My dream is to build a new home and have it completely powered by solar. I figured I wouldn't have a problem doing that in Needles.
Where did you get that silly notion?

Old 10-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Where did you get that silly notion?
Compared to other states. I guess I should have clarified.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:07 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Compared to other states. I guess I should have clarified.
I would bet we're near the bottom of the pile. Administrators though still get to keep their jobs and even get salary increases. Amazing how that happens, while teachers and all other staff that work directly with the students get cut.
Have no illusions about what it's like working in education in CA. I've worked in other states and it seems universally better everywhere else (at least in most western states).

Old 10-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I would bet we're near the bottom of the pile. Administrators though still get to keep their jobs and even get salary increases. Amazing how that happens, while teachers and all other staff that work directly with the students get cut.
Have no illusions about what it's like working in education in CA. I've worked in other states and it seems universally better everywhere else (at least in most western states).
California still pays really well. I'm stuck on first year pay after 3 years. We have to pay a lot more for health care now, too.

I'm interested in Needles because I love heat and the desert. I just figured that the cost of living way out in the desert would be a lot cheaper than living on the coast. So I thought the cheaper cost of living, with a better salary, and the climate I love would add up to what I'm looking for.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:13 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
California still pays really well. I'm stuck on first year pay after 3 years. We have to pay a lot more for health care now, too.

I'm interested in Needles because I love heat and the desert. I just figured that the cost of living way out in the desert would be a lot cheaper than living on the coast. So I thought the cheaper cost of living, with a better salary, and the climate I love would add up to what I'm looking for.
Some things are cheaper in the desert, some not. But there's plenty of desert out here

Besides Needles, there's also Palo Verde Unified School District in Blythe (south of Needles). You could check out other districts in Imperial County, Riverside County, and San Bernardino County.

Good luck in your search!

As for pay scale - my salary has been frozen for 5 years. No step raises, no COLA's, no nothing. And our H&W has also gone up. Hiring has been "frosted, not frozen" for 3 years. Meaning every single job from part time custodial to full time faculty has to be justified and approved by the Executive Committee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties