Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times

Advertisements

Definitely avoid DHS unless you like living in a wind tunnel. Not only that, but if you see it for yourself, as the poster who called the rest if us "ill informed" suggested, you will see that almost every house has bars on the windows and security doors. Those people don't have that stuff for no reason!!! There is also a HUGE drug (meth) problem in DHS. Sure, they have drugs in other places too - it's just that DHS has more of it than other places. Sure, DHS is cheaper than say, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage or La Quinta - and there's a reason for that too. But, I agree - DO take a ride out there to see it for yourself. See what DHS is all about. Then come back here and let us know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 14,664 times
all this information is good to know, iam moving to the area of palm springs my husband is going to work in a hotel in the area of la quinta, Iam looking to rent a aparment around this area that Is not to costly.Iam also looking for a good high school and a good elementary school

Old 09-19-2007, 08:36 PM

You will find Palm Desert and La Quinta schools to be the best in the desert. Both Palm Desert Middle and Palm Desert High were recently bestowed with the status of California Designated Schools. La Quinta schools have the designation of being International Bacclaureate schools. You can't go wrong with either of these school districts.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 AM

Thank you for the information is being very helpful. Iam moving from Puerto Rico you think any of this school has ESL. My kids were born in the island and their english is not that good.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:28 AM

I need to mak a correction to my earlier post. The designation given to the Palm Desert schools is California Distinguished School. Yes, the Palm Desert and La Quinta schools have ESL programs, as do other schools in the area.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:21 AM

I will like to know if South santa fe Ave San jacinto Area code 92583 is a good place to live please let me know.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 670 times
Hello all,
First let me apoligze for posting as a noob without introducing myself first and following protocall and for my terrible spelling.
And also for digging up this long dead and buried thread. This thread is over 10 years old and this person mentioned 5 or 10 years so my question is has DHS change? Better or worse

Thank you for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeCalifornia View Post
During the 8 years that I lived in the Coachella Valley, I don't believe that I ever heard Desert Hot Springs referred to as a jewel, except by those hardcore city boosters that were convinced they had found paradise. A casual drive through the place by an objective observer would tend to support the view that most (including myself) have expressed here.

When you watch the local news or read the local paper, the stories relating to drug busts, meth labs, shootings, and bodies being found dumped on the side of roads by and far mention Desert Hot Springs, Indio, and Coachella more than any other desert city. People that I knew that lived in DHS had no higher opinion of the local police than they did of the sheriffs department when it patrolled the city.

Yes indeed it is a favorite of many snowbirds, Canadians and otherwise. The main reason being that as few as 4 years ago you could buy a 1970's vintage single wide mobile home for as little as $3,000. Homes could be purchased in the low $100,000. Now if you want to live on the cheap, as many retirees need or desire to, then DHS was a bargain compared to all the other desert cities. But that is changing fast. DHS is following the trend of Palm Springs, etc., in being over-hyped and overpriced.

DHS is certainly growing with many developments springing up all over. But it isn't because DHS is any more desirable than it was before. It is simply a matter of DHS had more land available at lower prices than any other city in the desert, save Indio or cities further east.

And as the one poster mentioned it is not always easy to get in and out of DHS, but that isn't only because of new development. There are basically only two ways in and out of DHS. And if you get a really good rain, you can pretty much forget about getting out of DHS and into Palm Springs using Indian Avenue.

I guess the term "resort" has different meanings to different people. If a 1950's or 1960's era hotel with hot water pools is your idea of a "resort" then that's fine. I don't really think though that anything currently located in DHS does or ever will compare to the real resorts located in say Rancho Mirage or Palm Desert.

Beyond Starbucks, which they honestly will build anywhere, what does DHS offer as far as amenities, high end shopping or what have you? The short answer, nothing. There is no mall in DHS. There is no charming downtown area to stroll through like in Palm Springs or Palm Desert.

Yes, DHS has wonderful views. Yes, it has great water. But beyond that it is still on the lower end of the scale of desirable places to live in the Valley. It is changing, for the better, but I personally would not expect DHS to come into it's own for at least another 5 to 10 years.y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties