Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 02:34 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,284 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Chino Hills. It's really nice, trendy, conservative, clean and not very diverse. I left there as quickly as possible when I was 21 because I hated how boring it was there. I liked another person's suggestion for Pasadena. That sounds like a very good fit for you Chris. Pasadena is nice, diverse and close to LA. The 909 area is less of a Los Angeles area and further away from it. It takes me about an hour or a little less to get to LA from Chino Hills with little traffic but let's face it, there's usually lots of traffic. I would try suburbs of Los Angeles and try going north as well. There is Northridge and Chatsworth/ Van Nuys to the north and it takes about 30 min. from there as well. I drive from Simi Valley now to get into the financial area of Los Angeles and it takes almost an hour to get to work. Anyway, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 01:36 PM

66 posts, read 409,074 times
Yucaipa and Calimesa are both nise towns. Riverside is very nice in most parts.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:30 PM

59 posts, read 222,518 times
Hi,

I agree with most of the advice that you have been given. Chino hills is a nice area, Rancho Cucamonga as well. However, you will pay for what you get, bottom line. Pasadena is nice however, apartments are very pricey there also. You may want to consider the 951 area code. 951 used to be 909 until the split caused by excessive cell phone numbers and the influx of new phone numbers that had to be issued because of the growth of people moving out to the 909 and 951 area codes. Areas in the 951 I would suggest Lake Elsinore and Murrietta. Now Corona by far is very nice, but pricey in some areas. I know of some nice apartments in Corona that you may be able to get into for around 1100.00 a month. You may also want to try and rent a condo or townhouse from a private owner. Sometimes you can get lucky that way. I suggest that you go on www.pe.com for the classifieds in these areas. If you need more info, just let me know. I will be happy to assist you with as much information as I can. I know how challenging it can be to try and find an area to live in from another state. Take care and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Girl View Post

Old 10-12-2006, 04:45 PM

32 posts, read 101,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Girl View Post
Yucaipa and Calimesa are FAR!! That's about a 2 hour commute to L.A. My suggestion is Claremont, San Dimas, La Verne or Glendora if you are looking for a "decent" lower crime area in L.A. County. Chino has its really ugly side and its home to all three prisons (Men, Women and Juvenile Detention). If you are ok with a longer commute and would be ok with the metro link-- Rancho Cucamonga is your best bet, but like others have stated--it's probably the pricier of all of the S.B. County options but it has a nicer amenities, its cleaner and has newer malls.

As for the "951" ... Corona, Murrieta and Temecula... you're closer to San Diego at that point than you are L.A.... if the goal was to stay close to L.A. I would pick Rancho because the 210 fwy gives you a straight shot into pasadena and the L.A. freeways. Rancho also borders the 15fwy which gives you easy access to Orange County and San Diego County.

Stay Away from the High Desert. Bad traffic and I know people that are fleeing the area because of the crime and the meth labs.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,750 times
Default try Diamond Bar

The closest city in the 909 to L.A. is Diamond Bar. It is very diverse and very safe, a great place to live. Not alot of apartments, mostly single family homes and condos. You might be able to rent a 1 bedroom condo for around $1100 to $1200/month. Just up the 57 freeway, the city of La Verne is also very nice and quiet with alot more apartments because near the University of La Verne. That might be more affordable for you.

Good Luck.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:13 PM

9 posts, read 165,094 times
The papers suggested are probably a great idea. You might have to go a little further than 45 minutes though unless a roomate is another option for you. Papers you can look at are: San Gabriel Valley Tribune, The Daily Bulletin and The Press Enterprise. You can also find some lease info on my website but most of the data as homes and condos is likely to be more than you wish to spend. It might give you an idea of local pricing though. Also, Lewis Apartment Communities has apartments in both Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, Chino Hills and others. Some communities like offer what is called Bond rates (like Evergreen in Rancho) which means that you have to make a minimum income to qualify and not exceed a maximum income to qualify. If you qualify, the monthly rent is lower than regular published rates but they can only rent a % of their inventory at Bond rates so timing is everything. Good Luck in your search. Moderator cut: no advertising

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-01-2007 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: ad

Old 04-30-2016, 11:28 AM

266 posts, read 319,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
I was born and raised in Chino Hills. It's really nice, trendy, conservative, clean and not very diverse..
You can't be serious.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
if you want low crime, again, stay away from rialto, south fontana, san bernardino, ontario, pomona.....rancho cucamonga, alta loma, chino hills, north fontana are all very nice....a little pricey, but out here you get what you pay for. as for your commute...you could live 20 minutes from LA and it will take you 1 hour to get there in traffic....the farther away you go, the better, but you will have to sacrifice the commute....we have metrolink train that is pretty good......it will take to from rancho cuca. to la in no time.....or you could leave early like 5:00 a.m. to beat the real traffic????
I'd avoid Perris as well. Ontario and Fontana have bad reps but don't seem to have very much crime

Old 05-01-2016, 11:38 PM

817 posts, read 921,551 times
Look on the data side of city-data.com to find information on income, education level, and housing values, as well as the ethnic composition of the cities you are considering. That along with the information you get on the forum will help you make a choice.

When looking in the newspaper
1. Inland Valley Daily Bulletin and San Bernardino County Sun both have the same ownership, so you would probably get duplicate information.
2. Riverside Press Enterprise is independent.
3. No one knows less about the IE than the LA Times

Rancho Cucamonga is a seperate case since it was three distinct unincorporated areas glued together during an incorporation effort in 1977. So the three areas of Alta Loma, Cucamonga, and Etiwanda have their own personalities.

Also some of the cities in the IE are over 30 square miles and populations from 75,000 to the mid 100,000s. Being on one side or the other can change your commute by 15 minutes. There is a lot of diversity in the IE but in different ways. Both the White and African American population lags behind the US average, but there are still numbers enough for all groups and there are churches which serve each ethnic group, including mosques and Jewish congregations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
I was born and raised in Chino Hills. It's really nice, trendy, conservative, clean and not very diverse. I left there as quickly as possible when I was 21 because I hated how boring it was there. I liked another person's suggestion for Pasadena. That sounds like a very good fit for you Chris. Pasadena is nice, diverse and close to LA. The 909 area is less of a Los Angeles area and further away from it. It takes me about an hour or a little less to get to LA from Chino Hills with little traffic but let's face it, there's usually lots of traffic. I would try suburbs of Los Angeles and try going north as well. There is Northridge and Chatsworth/ Van Nuys to the north and it takes about 30 min. from there as well. I drive from Simi Valley now to get into the financial area of Los Angeles and it takes almost an hour to get to work. Anyway, good luck.
Chino Hills according to C-D is 32.8% White, 30.5% Asian, and 30% Hispanic, so it is a very mixed population.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 PM

817 posts, read 752,441 times
Didn't anyone of the last 3 posters notice this thread is 10 years old?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties