Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:02 PM

14 posts, read 72,941 times

Advertisements

So, I have my third interview coming up for a job in Barstow... From what I have read on these posts and what I can see from many pictures... I dont really want to live in Barstow, Victorville, Apple Valley, or Hesperia... Does anyone live in Big Bear? Has anyone traveled from Big Bear to Barstow or vise versa?

All info in appreciated... Even if there are nice places to live in any of the above places I mentioned... Let me know, I do appreciate it very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,128,158 times
It's at least an hour one way under best circumstances.

And you do realize that Big Bear is a ski resort, right? Meaning that it SNOWS up there, at least three months a year? And all that entails - 4x4, snow tires, chains, having to go 25 mph (i.e. your one hour commute has the potential to become 1.5 to 2 hours one way).

Also, being a resort town, Big Bear is not exactly cheap, and living at 7000 sf altitude has its drawbacks.

That said, it's an intriguing option, I'd recommend to try that commute in person a few times. Live as far northeast as you can. Off the northeast coast of Baldwin Lake is the best option.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:35 AM

26,573 posts, read 26,433,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
And you do realize that Big Bear is a ski resort, right?
There are many people who live there year round. Of all your options, it's certainly the nicest. It's absolutely beautiful there.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,502,217 times
Big Bear is very beautiful, as for commuting to Barstow that would be a "BEAR" in itself. The high desert has "Pockets" of great places to live. My advise live close to work.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Big Bear is a great area, but commuting to Barstow, no way!!!

Nita

Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
If you have 4 WD and the right tires, go for it. What you give up in terms of an at times rough commute you can make up for with mid week ski / boarding sessions. And in summer? Sweeeeeeet!

Old 05-27-2009, 02:10 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,502,217 times
Coming down Big Bear the back way through Lucerne Valley going to Barstow will be heck! Those hair pen turns and narrow two lane road is killer. I would totally not recommend that. Unless your a pro in the black ice and snow during the winter. The Spring and Summer driver is beautiful...however now'a days you can't pull over the side of the road and look at the view without a Wilderness Pass. Another program your state of California added to rake in the $$ to tax payers.

Adventure pass is what they call it now....

San Bernardino Mountains Forest Service

Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 PM

15 posts, read 39,082 times
Default Moving to big bear lake

Hello all,

Would like any advice or opinions on living in big bear and commuting down the hill. I work 3 days (12 hour shifts), but am interested in seasonal problems with road conditions.

Thank you very kindly.

Mike.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:12 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,128,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trontrader View Post
Hello all,

Would like any advice or opinions on living in big bear and commuting down the hill. I work 3 days (12 hour shifts), but am interested in seasonal problems with road conditions.

Thank you very kindly.

Mike.
Down the hill in which direction?

The commute north towards Lucerne Valley is the only manageable option. During the winter (particularly, going uphill on Friday evenings and downhill on Sunday evenings), both southbound routes are packed with tourists. High traffic volume is compounded by occasional poor weather conditions. Chains may be required from time to time. On one occasion it took me something like 3 hours to get from Big Bear to San Bernardino.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
RE: Chains required - typically only true for 2WD, with non mud and snow rated tires. With M + S tires and 4WD, chains would almost never be required on any road under Cal Trans jurisdiction. Before the road would be so bad as to require chains with 4WD and M + S tires, they'd would close the road outright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties