Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
We're cooped up inside maybe 3 weeks of the year (right now, in fact) where it doesn't really cool down at night, instead of 6 months in AZ
Agreed. This is the worst time of the year, but it doesn't last nearly as long as AZ, nor is it as "painful" (usually it does cool off at night!). June is actually pretty lovely. It's end of August and September that are the worst, so don't come over tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,980 times
I think you'll find it much cooler in CA than in AZ...it's not unusual to be able to open your house in the evening...it's only during our brief monsoonal season that we seem to get these days that you have to leave the A/C on at night!

Of course, some people never turn off the A/C at night, even when there is a nice breeze and it's relatively cool. Guess it's up to each individual to decide what's cool to them.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 14,589 times
Thanks for the feedback. 3 weeks is much better than what we have to deal with. What's your average electric bill during the months when you run your a/c? I've heard horror stories about CA electric prices. It sounds like Temecula will be much better because you get that break at night, versus the constant heat we experience here in Arizona.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothystephens View Post
Thanks for the feedback. 3 weeks is much better than what we have to deal with. What's your average electric bill during the months when you run your a/c? I've heard horror stories about CA electric prices. It sounds like Temecula will be much better because you get that break at night, versus the constant heat we experience here in Arizona.
Our largest electric bill so far this year (last month) was $133. BUT- we live in a tiny single story house....about 1250 sq. ft. We have all energy efficient appliances and a gas stove/dryer. Plus, the house is shaded and is north/south facing. So if you've got a bigger home, no shade trees, older appliances, big windows on your south/west sides, then your bill will be a whole lot higher. One month a few years ago when we lived in Fallbrook, our electric bill was over $300, so it's going to really depend...

Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothystephens View Post
This is what I wrote in a retirement thread:

"Don't move to California for electric rates.
I use TOU (Time of Use) to get cheaper rates. 10 AM to 6 PM Mon-Fri is the most expensive.

25% at the lowest rate of $0.06225 per kWh
53% at next low rate of $0.07815 per kWh
22% at the high rate of $0.26127 per kWh
Which comes to $65+ for energy charges

When I take my total bill and divide by total kWh, it comes to $0.22983 per kWh.
They add in taxes, delivery charges, bond charges, etc, etc, etc, that is basically half my bill of $130+

(Course, we just had a killer heat wave here. But I'm doing pretty good for a 2100 sf home. I have friends whose homes are half the size of mine and their bills are close to mine)

And people wonder why I plan to move when I retire!"

Old 09-05-2009, 10:11 PM

191 posts, read 665,790 times
Can anyone who has a pool comment on what months you can swim in the evening. Do you need a heater and if so what does it cost to heat the pool or jaccuzi. I hope to move to the Temecula area, most likely menifee or canyon lake or winchester and put in a pool. Can anyone suggest how best to heat the pool to keep the bill down.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2009, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 25,420 times
Bettsnow: 3 months a year it is hot, but not as bad as Arizona. Even though we hit 105 from mid August through mid Sept, evening are still relatively cooler. If you have the option get into a house that backs up north. Also the hillside is much cooler. Ladera gets hot too. Folks there like to say their weather is more beachlike, but that is the furthest thing from the truth. The reality is in SoCal every mile you get away from the beach weather goes up a few degrees, humidity falls, and the cools become cooler. Ladera is 15 miles inland. Not as hot as Temecula, but when its toasty in Temecula it is also toasty in Ladera. We looked long and hard at South OC compared to Tem, and finally settled here (a couple years ago). I have 2 kids in school and that it what brought us here. Wonderful community...

Old 09-11-2009, 11:00 PM

7 posts, read 25,420 times
I read note in regards to electric bill.....north/south facing house and quality construction will make a difference. I live in Morgan Hill, between the afternoon breeze and the house being north/south facing electricity consumption is lower than what we were paying to heat/cool our house in Ohio. 8 months a year we don't use heat/cool...only a couple months sporadically the heater will kick in and only a couple months sporadically the air will kick in.....the rest of the time we're aux-naturelle and it is just fine... I have family who live in Laguna Niguel which is further west than Ladera, and the added humidity there sometimes compensates for the high heat inland...

Old 09-11-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
I read note in regards to electric bill.....north/south facing house and quality construction will make a difference. I live in Morgan Hill, between the afternoon breeze and the house being north/south facing electricity consumption is lower than what we were paying to heat/cool our house in Ohio. 8 months a year we don't use heat/cool...only a couple months sporadically the heater will kick in and only a couple months sporadically the air will kick in.....the rest of the time we're aux-naturelle and it is just fine... I have family who live in Laguna Niguel which is further west than Ladera, and the added humidity there sometimes compensates for the high heat inland...
Yep...our April/May electric bill was only $28! Yes, that's twenty-eight. That was nice .

Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 14,589 times
I wanted to thank everyone for posting their point of view. It's been very helpful. On paper, everything about Temecula is very appealing. We're just looking for some break from the Arizona heat and were concerned, but it sounds like the highs don't get that high plus you have the cooler weather in the evening with the breeze. Sounds very appealing! The temps in San Diego are more appealing, but we couldn't touch a house down there in an area that we'd like to live in. Plus it sounds like Temecula is a much better place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties