Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 44,080 times

Advertisements

Agree with most comments here. Cooling your house doesn't have to be painfully expensive in the Temecula/Murrieta area. Take advantage of the cool nights, which are reliable outside the period from mid-July to mid-Sep. Even in that hottest part of the year, the "monsoonal moisture" period is intermittent. I have a 2-story 2300 sq ft house and generally manage to keep electric bills under $50 in the summer. Fans and windows. Tips: plant stuff in your yard and get shade over your west-facing windows as soon as you can. People who pave their yards with concrete and won't plant trees or bushes, and then complain about the blazing sun and heat, are insane. In inland SoCal, the western sun is very, very hot until the second it goes down. Shade your west-facing exposures.

One thing to expect in Temecula and Murrieta is really heavy traffic. There's just a lot of it. Any major artery that intersects the freeways is clogged during the day.

There are good real estate bargains in both places right now, though, and they are indeed family-oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,534 times
After a few days in near 100 today was only 90 in Temecula with lows in the high 60's. Rest of the week is to be low 90's in the day and low 60's at night. This is typical of July/Aug. Coming for Tucson this will seem like a dream. The consistant hot weather is only in late July thru early Sept. Because of the ocean breeze that comes in the afternoon. Only the mid day during the hot months do you look for a cooler inside place. Mornings and later evenings are great.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
I lived in Southern OC most of my life & relocated to Temecula 10 years ago. The summers in Mission Viejo & RSM were exactly the same...minus the mid-day predictable breeze. We go to AZ every summer for a week and Temecula is NOTHING like that. OC people love to think of Temecula on a par w/Lake Elsinore...or Death Valley for that matter. I've had a dozen OC friends who just think anything out of their area code is just intolerable & trashy. Visit Temecula...it's a wonderful city with the normal ups and downs of summer...same as any OC town not on the coast.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,551 times
It's 102 degrees today in Temecula.

The rest of the week is scheduled to be in the low to mid 90's.

Even the hottest parts of OC are forecast to be 8-15 degrees cooler.

Temecula is a desert. A nice, family oriented desert community.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM

60 posts, read 252,845 times
Temecula is NOT classified as a desert under any geographical classification used in the USA or the rest of the world for that matter.

I have lived in Orange County for all but 3 years of the 17 years I have lived in the USA. I have also lived in Europe and even spent 6 years in Adelaide, South Australia which has a similar climate to SoCA. I just moved to the Temecula area a few months ago.

People may want to "describe" it as a "desert community" but that is an opinion likely based upon their previous experiences for comparitive purposes and regretably highlights our poor education system here in the USA. Unfortunately it is not an accurate description.

I think someone mentioned earlier that we grow a lot of grapes here in Temecula and grapes don't grow in the desert . Indeed, both the Adelaide area of South Australia and many parts of Italy & Greece have an almost identical climate where it does indeed reach 100 degrees in summer. These areas share the same geographical climate type.

For USA purposes this uses the Koppen Cassification System and the Temecula area is mostly classed as "Semi-Arid, steppe" with some areas to the far east in the "Mediterranean/Hot Summer" region, hence why it is the same as some parts of Italy & Greece etc.

If you would like more info take a look at pae 4 of the Government document here - http://www.dfg.ca.gov/biogeodata/atl...im_12b_web.pdf

Also a descirption of the various climates can be found here - 7(v) Climate Classification and Climatic Regions of the World

Finally, 7 of the years I lived in OC were spent in Ladera Ranch. It is cooler in the winter and during the summer you often get the marine layer in the mornings. If you do NOT get the layer in the morning it can get very hot and it is a "basin" so very little wind. Often in the 90's but not in the 100's

Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Temecula is only 24 "air miles" from the Pacific ocean and has a Mediterranean climate. I don't think they plant vineyards in the desert, and there are a lot of them in Temecula. It is indeed semi-arid, as is most of SoCal. I think the only thing that distinguishes much of the SoCal cities is merely the amount of irrigation. Cut off the irrigation and it would all look the same in most places; semi-arid.

All that said, it does get hot in Temecula. It's hotter than OC. We have just over 30 days of 100+ temps a year. Most weather sites have a history feature that allows you to look at daily weather in the past. I use Weather Underground's a lot. You can view it on a monthly calendar and see the no-kidding facts for any location. I really don't care for the real hot days, but I can say that I expected worse. Prior to living here I figured I'd see 3 months of straight scorching weather. It's nothing like that. You get plenty of reprieves and often have a cool breeze at night. And of course the rest of the year isn't bad at all.

Nothing beats the SoCal weather closer to the coast though. The temps drop rapidly the closer you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties