Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:18 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikingBikingSwimming View Post
I do love Indian Canyons and going up on the Tram...You can be in a pine forest in only 20 minutes from Palm Springs, love it!
I see the Tram holds a great appeal (for obvious reasons), unfortunately it's also the means by which some hikers (who may even be solidly experienced and knowledgeable hikers) get in trouble up on the mountain and end up having to get rescued or worse.

So be careful, HikeBikeSwim. I want to you to be around for the day we might run into each other and share a kind word or two up high on the rock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:25 PM

112 dF right now in PD. Whew, must be hot! That's the hottest I've seen yet this spring and summer in PD from weather.com live data.

Hey Coachella Valley locals, I'm wondering...are the 120 dF temps a real localized phenomenon in a few areas and only for a short while in the late afternoon or what? I just haven't seen 'em yet while watching on weather.com.

P.S. Hey Twinkle, didja forget about me? Dance on over with that valuable info, please...

Old 07-18-2009, 04:55 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
120 in the summer is not that unusual...probably a little warmer than usual, though...We just moved here but my folks have lived out here since 1972 and i remember one 4th of July it was 124. I am not a hiker, but my brother is, he hikes all over out here, but he doesn't do much of it during the summer.
That's not to say you can't do it, but be prepared, go EARLY in the day and know your limits.

It looks like there are some areas to hike out by Whitewater, we are geocachers and there are a lot of caches..looks interesting, might check it out.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I can tell you that the PS news will only report the temps at about 108 or 109 or something real pansy like that. But my car and other people's cars' temp gauges can't all be wrong. Mine shows 122, same with my husband's car, and two friend's cars I've been in. Later it will show like 116 or 117. So, yeah, it's pretty flippin' brutal and hot here!

Old 07-18-2009, 05:13 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I can tell you that the PS news will only report the temps at about 108 or 109 or something real pansy like that. But my car and other people's cars' temp gauges can't all be wrong. Mine shows 122, same with my husband's car, and two friend's cars I've been in. Later it will show like 116 or 117. So, yeah, it's pretty flippin' brutal and hot here!
Official weather stations have temperature sensors in vented enclosures. The reason is accuracy: if the sun is shining on the sensor it apparently produces much more erratic readings then you would get in the shade.

Send some heat up here! We've only had a couple days this summer that have cracked 90.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM

83 posts, read 427,306 times
Default Biking Tramway Road

The Desert Cycling Clubs has lots of like minded folks, and you would have instant friends and riding partners.
Also, ride your bike up the tram road to the station. A real workout. The downhill will scare the bejebers outta you, but think of Alberto Contador in the Alps...

Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM

83 posts, read 427,306 times
Yes, this heat is normal. not for the faint of heart. "It is a dry heat" lasts for 4 summers then you start dreaming of Wasthington state or Oregon.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:57 PM

It's been humid here for the past few days. Hot - and I KNOW it's way more than what the local news is reporting - and humid. It sucks right now. Even the banks temperature/time displays are showing way more than the news is reporting.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Just a heads up, people.

It's too hot to hike, officials warn | MyDesert.com | The Desert Sun

Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Official weather stations have temperature sensors in vented enclosures. The reason is accuracy: if the sun is shining on the sensor it apparently produces much more erratic readings then you would get in the shade.
Yup, methinks you are correct.

Funny thing though, as all the Coachella Valley dwellers here are attesting to, when one is out in the open sun, it really is that much hotter!!

Quite a heat wave down Palm Springs way this past week! It was sad to read about the three deceased hikers (all separate incidents) last week. Sometimes Momma Nature just don't mess around...one mistake from the less well prepared and it's "curtains".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties