U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 03:07 AM

70 posts, read 66,357 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I was hoping to get some advice on a very unusual plan. Im wanting to build a private spot to fly radio controlled model airplanes and need it to be on very cheap land that is sizable enough to put neighbors at a distance due to the possible liability of noise and crashes. for my purpose Ive decided that 100 acres is about right which is why Im look at desert land that most others would deem "worthless". Ive heard that san bernardino mohave county is a great place to start my search. as well as western arizona

nearby schooling isnt an issue and the plan is to truck in water if necessary. I will use a converted shipping container to house the monitor of the land, It will be an "off the grid" setup. Mainly, access to the land, and low price are the biggest considerations.

What can I expect?

Last edited by bela; 07-03-2009 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: error
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 AM

16,799 posts, read 36,572,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bela View Post
I will use a converted shipping container to house the monitor of the land
What does this mean?

As far as the rest of your post goes, it sounds more like you want to set up a meth lab rather than fly R/C planes.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
What does this mean?

As far as the rest of your post goes, it sounds more like you want to set up a meth lab rather than fly R/C planes.
what it means is that there will have to be maintainance on the runway and shelter from the heat. until the club is up and running, a shipping container would be converted as shelter for pilots when they are there and a monitor when the airstrip is not being used on weekdays.

Methlab?????? Ok I wont respond to that and just assume you have no positive advice to offer. thanks....... for nothing but thanks anyway.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 PM

13,740 posts, read 27,128,152 times
My grandfather, the legendary Bert Baker was part of a Scale R/C club, so I know exactly what you are talking about, as he flew at a club site (similar to what you want) in Washington state.

You don't need 100 acres, that is way more than necessary. Even 5-10 acres (or less) would be suitable.

San Bernardino County is in CA.

Mohave County is in AZ.

I'm sure you could find something (rather cheap) without a problem.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
My grandfather, the legendary Bert Baker was part of a Scale R/C club, so I know exactly what you are talking about, as he flew at a club site (similar to what you want) in Washington state.

You don't need 100 acres, that is way more than necessary. Even 5-10 acres (or less) would be suitable.

San Bernardino County is in CA.

Mohave County is in AZ.

I'm sure you could find something (rather cheap) without a problem.
Thank you David, Ive head that joshua trees are all over the place and that they are protected and cant be removed, does anyone know if this is true?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM

13,740 posts, read 27,128,152 times
Quote:
Thank you David, Ive head that joshua trees are all over the place and that they are protected and cant be removed, does anyone know if this is true?
If they can't be removed then those ugly new housing tracts in the Victor Valley sure did a heckuva job building around them.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 AM

Thanx for your help Dave, much appreciated.

Bela

Old 07-09-2009, 01:53 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,300,780 times
Bela -

I'm not an expert, but as far as I know removal, disturbance, destruction, or disfigurement of anything in Joshua Tree National Park is against the law.

But I think *outside* the National Park the trees are fair game, since the seeds are commercially available.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Bela -

I'm not an expert, but as far as I know removal, disturbance, destruction, or disfigurement of anything in Joshua Tree National Park is against the law.

But I think *outside* the National Park the trees are fair game, since the seeds are commercially available.
This is what Im hearing as well. Mohave county in particular is the area im researching. I keep hearing that It is classified as desert land period. At the risk of asking an obviously dumb question, exactly just how rare is rain, and Is this area mainly dried lakebeds? or desert in the "sandy desert" sense?

Old 07-20-2009, 04:49 AM

14,076 posts, read 19,069,304 times
Quote:
This is what Im hearing as well. Mohave county in particular is the area im researching. I keep hearing that It is classified as desert land period. At the risk of asking an obviously dumb question, exactly just how rare is rain, and Is this area mainly dried lakebeds? or desert in the "sandy desert" sense?
Mohave County is pretty mountainous and not "desert" desert like in California. There's quite a bit of brush which would need to be cleared in most places but with just 5 or 10 acres, you could handle that. Along the Colorado River, it's either developed, used for agriculture, part of the Lake Mead National Recreation Area or tribal owned. In other words, it's not likely to be for sale. I'm not aware of any dry lake beds in the county, though they might be out there somewhere.

If you're willing to go that far, may I suggest you go a little farther north? There's a huge dry lake bed just south of Boulder City, NV (between there and Searchlight) which is routinely used by RC aviators already. I don't know who owns it or what the conditions of its use is, but there's somebody out there flying nearly every day. On the downside, it's also used by para-sailors and ATV drivers.

By the way, rain is not all that uncommon and it can sometimes downright pour, which can lead to flash-flooding.

Last edited by stillkit; 07-20-2009 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Additional comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties