Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times

Advertisements

The California High Speed Rail (which will take 15 years to complete) is set to have a stop in Murrieta! I think this is awesome, as it cuts travel time to LA & SD in half (and that's without traffic).

What do you think?
Do you think it will help people in SW Riverside who have to commute to LA & SD for work? Or do you think people will be stubborn and stick to their cars?

I think it has great potential and am happy to hear of it, but I'm bummed it will take so long to build. I live close to Murrieta, and would likely find it easy to drive there & hop on a train to go to LA & SD. On a train you can do other things too (ie. read, eat, nap), as you don't have to focus on driving. Seems a lot less stressful to me.

Check out the official site, where you can compute approximate travel times between cities:

California High-Speed Rail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM

209 posts, read 749,239 times
looks like i would have to go all the way to LA and then back down to orange county.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionrules View Post
looks like i would have to go all the way to LA and then back down to orange county.
It's not going through Orange County. That's why I said LA & SD. I think it's a good thing...if it went through OC, then they'd just skip past Riverside (like the metrolink does).

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,460 times
[quote=orangeapple;9650619]The California High Speed Rail (which will take 15 years to complete) is set to have a stop in Murrieta! I think this is awesome, as it cuts travel time to LA & SD in half (and that's without traffic).

BART in the Sf Bay area was supposed to have a complete loop around the Bay for an efficient mass transit layout. It was started in the 1960's and here it is 2009. That is approximately 40 or so years. The loop is still not complete and probably won't be.

So.........we have better things to do than discuss the high speed rail system as we wil all be dead if it is ever built. With the California economy the way it is it probably won't be built.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
The California High Speed Rail (which will take 15 years to complete) is set to have a stop in Murrieta! I think this is awesome, as it cuts travel time to LA & SD in half (and that's without traffic).

What do you think?
Do you think it will help people in SW Riverside who have to commute to LA & SD for work? Or do you think people will be stubborn and stick to their cars?
I think it's awesome as well, and long overdue.

BTW, people in SW Riverside County don't have to commute to LA/SD. They live in SW Riverside County by choice, no one is forcing them to live that far from work.

The train is an excellent idea, but I think it's more geared toward cross-California travel as opposed to daily commuting, those who live in Murrieta for example would still have a long commute to OC (if that's where they worked), but would be great for those that work in SD.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
BTW, people in SW Riverside County don't have to commute to LA/SD. They live in SW Riverside County by choice, no one is forcing them to live that far from work.
Many reasons people commute: some of us were born/raised here and all of our family/friends are here, there's far less job opportunities here, it's too expensive in LA/SD/OC to live there, etc.

I actually don't commute right now, but I may have to in the near future, and I know people who currently do. It's certainly possible to work close to home, but it's harder to find jobs that pay well enough, especially in this economy.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:01 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Many reasons people commute: some of us were born/raised here and all of our family/friends are here, there's far less job opportunities here, it's too expensive in LA/SD/OC to live there, etc.

I actually don't commute right now, but I may have to in the near future, and I know people who currently do. It's certainly possible to work close to home, but it's harder to find jobs that pay well enough, especially in this economy.
I'm in complete agreement.

I was raised in Corona/Riverside and I know exactly what you mean, and what you stated above in bold are some of the exact reasons I left CA. That was my choice, and I do not fault people for wanting to stay in CA.

However, many people in Murrieta/Temecula, etc, probably didn't grow up there, and moved there from OC/SD/other parts of IE, because they could afford more house for less money, etc. We've even got out-of-state transplants here on the forum that target Murrieta/Temecula because "they heard it was a good place to live", or because it won "such-and-such award" on a best place to live list. When you ask them where work will be, they will say Irvine, or somewhere else ridiculously far away. Why would anybody in their right mind take a job (when moving from out of state) and choose to live an hour away from work? The job wouldn't be worth it IMO if they couldn't pay them enough to live well close by.

Basically, all I'm trying to say is that (unnecessary?) commuting severely affects QOL. I think the train will be an asset to the community and look forward to the positive effects it has on the area.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 AM

27 posts, read 162,722 times
I have always loved public transit done well. My kids beg for vacations to be in places with good metro systems. We go on school breaks to DC, Chicago, Bay Area, Boston, etc. and ride around seeing everything. So this is exciting to me. I can see them, decades from now when this finally gets finished, all grown up and rolling on and off the high-speed-light-rail-awesomtastic-train with their Segways. They, and all of our children and possibly even some of us if we are still productive at that point will be able to work where we choose while living where we choose without so much harm to the environment and our family time.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 PM

144 posts, read 390,781 times
Can we not stick the cost on a credit card like everything else?? Imagine the airmiles!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 PM

209 posts, read 749,239 times
Too bad it didn't run into Orange County. It has the potential to take a lot of cars off the freeway and improve many people's quality of life. I would ride it. But I will continue to drive to OC to the job I love and back to the family and community I love without complaining. Hell, if it's as fast as they are saying then maybe it's worth going all the way to LA and back down to OC. I would rather read and eat breakfast on a train then drive a car for the same amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties