Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:50 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
My advise, invest in land not properties. I had renters in California in several of my properties from Simi Valley to Apple Valley and they were horriable!!!!! My rentals were $$ buckets. Renters don't care for the home they are living in period. I think out of the 15 years I had my rentals I maybe had two good renters. All my houses were nice homes in good areas and went to crap when renters came in.

And for those renters that are good in this forum, I wish I had you for a renter. Becuase most great renters tend to stay right where they are.

What problems I had:
Illegal cable and power wired to the house
Swamp cooler floods
Two renters knock down walls in my homes
Carpet ripped up
Fires from little kids and their parents not watching them
One home in Apple Valley was used as a drug house.
Hesperia home flooded from kids flushing down toys in the toliet
Countless hours at the court house, bank return check fees,
...the list goes on and on

I had good houses not junk in good neigborhoods/areas. One in SVL, One on the Mesa in Hesperia one off Apple Valley Rd in Apple Valley, one in Pinon Hills off Phelan Rd and one in Oak Hills.

I lost BIG time on these homes. I found an invester that purchased 1/2 of them for what I owed on them. I did own them all free and clear but as the rental market got bad with people that didn't care about their rental homes I had to take loans out on the homes to pay for the damages they made. Thousands and thousands of dollars gone. So I cut my loses and sold vowing never to do that again.

Oh, and never, ever rent to family. PERIOD did that too got burned.

Most of these people passed back ground and credit checks...only to find out later that they weren't living there at all. They would rent from me and let their other family members live there on their credit. One home I rented to this couple with two kids everything was fine. Until I needed to come by and pick up the rent because it wasn't deposited on time and then people that lived in my rental were not the people I rented to. And gave me the story that the people that lived there before (whom I rented too) rented the house out to the new people there now....
WOW! Lots of stories like yours...I did NOT meet anybody ever that owned rentals and was happy with the business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
WOW! Lots of stories like yours...I did NOT meet anybody ever that owned rentals and was happy with the business
I have owned a couple of rental properties for years, and haven't had any problems. I have strick rules, and the renters follow them or they move out.The biggest problem I had was having to sue a property management company for not doing their job, but I collected on that.
My father had eight rental homes, and an apartment complex. He worked his butt off nights and weekends, as he chose to do all of the work himself. When he retired and sold all the properties off, he became a very wealth man. Seeing his success is why I decided to get involved with rentals. I am now retires and that extra $3k a month I get for doing nothing, works out very well for us. Not only do I collect a lot of free money every month, but the properties have appreciated nicely over the years. Even in a down market, my properties are worth at least double what we paid a dozen years ago.
If rentals properties weren't so lucrative, people wouldn't be doing it. Granted, it's not for everyone, but if you do it right, it can make life very confortable.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,113 times
im moving to apple valley on monday...i keep being told im moving to the felony flats too but there is only 1 apartment complex which is the 1 im moving into and its surrounded by nice houses with horse property. if anyone can tell me if i'm moving there id appreciate it. im a single mom with a 2 year old son. im moving on broken bow rd.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
You're on the Western edge, zahonsmom. I wouldn't worry about the Broken Bow location. Of course, that depends on who lives in those apartments. That I can't tell you.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 AM

7 posts, read 28,905 times
We live on Broken Bow and are moving at the end of this month. We had been here for the last 9 months and in the beginning everything was great but now they are shutting down the elementary school and making the middle school a K-8 Grade. The neighborhood is getting rougher and a family member that is with the San Bernardino county police said it is getting pretty bad again over here. I think it is all personal preference my middle schoolers have been happy here but my elementary school age children have not been happy but again I think it is different for everyone. I know some people over here that have lived here for more than 5 years and just deal with the up and down crime problems.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,898 times
I have only lived in Felony Flats a very shot time. Everyone I have met so far seem to be ok. The streets are Zuni, Serrano, Sago. Like I said so far it's been calm and quite, I,m enjoying it here. we sit outside most of the day when I am home. We watch the kids play, and so far no trouble. I grew up in Carson Ca that was supposed to be a bad area, but I thought it was a good area.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,709 times
Default Any Info for me?

I just moved to Apple Valley a month ago (knowing very little about the town) and today I was told by a resident who has lived in Apple Valley for 23 years that I live in Felony Flats. I never heard of it so I looked it up onine and found this message board. What is "Felony Flats" - is it just a place with lots of trouble or is it dangerious? You say you moved in in late 2010, how is it going for you? I haven't seen any trouble yet, but I worry. I am a single female and live behind Phonenix School? - Behind Ralphs on a street called Wanaque (and I don't even know how to pronounce it! Anyone?

By the way, to the guy who had rentals around here in Apple Valley - I am sorry for your experience. I am one of those exception - rent before its due, treat the property as if it were my own and make my own small repairs......... there are some of us out there who really are good people - just not homeowners. Had I known I was moving into a dangerous place and you had a rental in a safer place, I would have jumped on your rental! In fact, I am on a month to month and if it is really bad in my neighborhood................

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19naya54 View Post
I have only lived in Felony Flats a very shot time. Everyone I have met so far seem to be ok. The streets are Zuni, Serrano, Sago. Like I said so far it's been calm and quite, I,m enjoying it here. we sit outside most of the day when I am home. We watch the kids play, and so far no trouble. I grew up in Carson Ca that was supposed to be a bad area, but I thought it was a good area.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 10,125 times
Don't move to flats...I am caucation rented a 2 bdrm on Serrano/zuni.... worst part. didn't know I was a minority. was told by someone they thought I should know I was a target. Major Gang. I know what that means and previously new some member elsewere. think that's the only thing that saved my but. I asked realtor if I would be safe, they said oh sure....Not even close. thank god I was warned because could've been bad but mentioned I had friends in the family. still took my car but brother got it back. lost a tv and tablet. DONT believe that they have cleaned it up. AV in general is full of all types. Richer areas are a target to be robbed and single white women to be raped, robbed....well you know

Old 10-23-2016, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,091 times
I currently live in the area of apple valley known as felony flats. In the 3 years I have lives here, I cant say I have witnessed any felonys... they should call it misdemeanor meddows.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgAV View Post
Don't move to flats...I am caucation rented a 2 bdrm on Serrano/zuni.... worst part. didn't know I was a minority. was told by someone they thought I should know I was a target. Major Gang. I know what that means and previously new some member elsewere. think that's the only thing that saved my but. I asked realtor if I would be safe, they said oh sure....Not even close. thank god I was warned because could've been bad but mentioned I had friends in the family. still took my car but brother got it back. lost a tv and tablet. DONT believe that they have cleaned it up. AV in general is full of all types. Richer areas are a target to be robbed and single white women to be raped, robbed....well you know
you are so full of it. i am white, i live in the heart of felony flats have for 3 years, and i havent had any problems... you are obviously a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties