Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 PM

9 posts, read 20,048 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...

I was just wondering if anyone's familiar with the Ontario/Mira Loma area? I just graduated from college and I'm considering a job opportunity there since there's a possibility that I might get hooked up with a pretty sweet corporate type job out there through a Japanese friend of my dads in the auto industry. So I thought I'd research a bit... I was born in Los Angeles (Downey) although I'm a typical Hispanic-American Miami kid through and though. In Miami, I currently live in West Miramar/West Pembroke Pines and I really love the whole laid back-ness of it all, it's quiet, and pretty safe. What nearby neighborhoods over there would be similar? Extra points if the neighboorhood is known for inhabitants similar to Rachel Bilson and Mischa Barton running around.

lol Just kidding (little OC humor, everyone says I'm like Seth Cohen! Maybe it's the hair?).

The only thing I've noticed is that Ontario and Mira Loma are pretty far from the center of L.A...

Which is a bit worrying since I'm young (just turned 23) so I'd like to be able to hang out at some the "cool L.A spots" every now and then without having to drive for hours. lol

Here in Miami, I'm about 30 miles (about 45, 1 h4 with traffic) from Miami Beach/South Beach and all that jazz. I actually don't really go there too much (incredibly to many people I've met), since I'm not much of a club person, but I do occasionally venture out to have a night out with friends, dinner etc. Coral Gables too. Mostly though I pretty much stick to Miramar, Pines and just hangout with friends locally, catch movies, play some xbox, have dinners at home, soccer, go to the beach etc.

The other thing I'm kind of worried about is that I know absolutely no one in L.A. Well, except for my grandpa (he lives in Studio City). And he's this really weird, older ladies man type dude. In Miami, most of my friends I've known since pretty much middle school. I'm just a tiny bit of an introvert so I'm kind of worried about making new friends over there, especially since its definitely going to be different to what I'm used to (totally new friends vs. people I've known for forever). So I hope I can find a place with lots of cool, interesting, young people to meet.

Thanks for the help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 20,048 times
No help anyone?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
In Mira Loma you'd be less than 1 1/2 hours from downtown LA on the 60, averaging traffic. Without traffic it's an hour, even less, but when's that gonna happen? It's actually not a bad freeway for getting into Los Angeles. Hollywood's just another skip further but through guaranteed traffic.

Mira Loma itself is pretty zilch. One interesting note about it is it used to be called Wineville until the Chicken Coop Murders (did you see Changeling?) forced the town to change its name. I think the coops are still there, actually. I suppose you could live further west and closer to the LA border, but there's no real advantage in terms of the neighborhoods you've indicated you would like. Live close to work. You're not that far from LA. There's a MetroLink station really close by if you want to take the train, too, for daytrips. Not good for nights out, since the schedule is pretty limited to commuter hours.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfabregas4 View Post
Hey guys...

I was just wondering if anyone's familiar with the Ontario/Mira Loma area? I just graduated from college and I'm considering a job opportunity there since there's a possibility that I might get hooked up with a pretty sweet corporate type job out there through a Japanese friend of my dads in the auto industry. So I thought I'd research a bit... I was born in Los Angeles (Downey) although I'm a typical Hispanic-American Miami kid through and though. In Miami, I currently live in West Miramar/West Pembroke Pines and I really love the whole laid back-ness of it all, it's quiet, and pretty safe. What nearby neighborhoods over there would be similar? Extra points if the neighboorhood is known for inhabitants similar to Rachel Bilson and Mischa Barton running around.

lol Just kidding (little OC humor, everyone says I'm like Seth Cohen! Maybe it's the hair?).

The only thing I've noticed is that Ontario and Mira Loma are pretty far from the center of L.A...

Which is a bit worrying since I'm young (just turned 23) so I'd like to be able to hang out at some the "cool L.A spots" every now and then without having to drive for hours. lol

Here in Miami, I'm about 30 miles (about 45, 1 h4 with traffic) from Miami Beach/South Beach and all that jazz. I actually don't really go there too much (incredibly to many people I've met), since I'm not much of a club person, but I do occasionally venture out to have a night out with friends, dinner etc. Coral Gables too. Mostly though I pretty much stick to Miramar, Pines and just hangout with friends locally, catch movies, play some xbox, have dinners at home, soccer, go to the beach etc.

The other thing I'm kind of worried about is that I know absolutely no one in L.A. Well, except for my grandpa (he lives in Studio City). And he's this really weird, older ladies man type dude. In Miami, most of my friends I've known since pretty much middle school. I'm just a tiny bit of an introvert so I'm kind of worried about making new friends over there, especially since its definitely going to be different to what I'm used to (totally new friends vs. people I've known for forever). So I hope I can find a place with lots of cool, interesting, young people to meet.

Thanks for the help guys.
You could live in Riverside or Redlands. Both are college towns full of young people.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 24,336 times
Although Redlands is actually more like 2hr away from LA. I'd say northern Ontario (if you can afford it), or southern Rancho Cucamonga are wonderful places to live. They're safe, clean and not too far from LA (at night not 1hr away from Long Beach).

Old 10-06-2009, 12:06 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
I wouldn't do it if I was you based on the info you gave...I think you'd end up regretting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties