Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,147 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to the Inland Empire and we know almost nothing about the area. We have three young kids, so we're kind of concerned about air quality. A friend of ours swears there's no smog in Chino Hills--anybody know if this is true? Any insights would be really appreciated. Jenny

Last edited by JennyEvans; 05-03-2007 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 05:45 AM

49 posts, read 243,716 times
Smog, most (80%) of the inland empire is of smog during sunny days from the metro area of LA. Some spring days are beautiful and some fall days are great. We do get the June gloom but usually clears up by noon. The smog makes for such beautiful sunsets during the summer or when it warms up in the 80-90's. To answer you, there is diffinite smog in the area.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 29,013 times
Default Chino Smog

Chino definately has smog, there was an article in our local newspaper (Press Enterprise I think) that said the area around Claremont, near Chino had some of the worst air of the Inland Empire. All that smog just moves from LA thorough our valley down to the Inland Empire - and Chino, Claremont, Ontario is right in the way. I believe some cleaner air in Riverside/Inland Empire is closer to Murrieta and Temecula.

Steve
Primemax Realty

Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,176,883 times
[quote=Primemax;839137]Chino definately has smog, there was an article in our local newspaper (Press Enterprise I think) that said the area around Claremont, near Chino had some of the worst air of the Inland Empire. All that smog just moves from LA thorough our valley down to the Inland Empire - and Chino, Claremont, Ontario is right in the way. I believe some cleaner air in Riverside/Inland Empire is closer to Murrieta and Temecula.

Steve
Primemax Realty

And you are correct! I just moved last year from Murrieta, having lived in the area since 2000. I also lived in Redlands back in 1999. There is NO comparison with smog levels in Temecula/Murrieta compared to the rest of the I.E. On most days we could look to our north and SEE the brown air, while it was perfectly clear where we lived. If air is your concern, check these towns out.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 PM

329 posts, read 471,095 times
Smells like manure day and night

Old 06-11-2007, 02:47 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,176,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
Smells like manure day and night
Are you saying Temecula does? I can honestly say that's totally untrue. Norco, now, that's another story...

Old 06-16-2007, 01:34 AM

59 posts, read 605,675 times
Default I hope this helps you! You may want to look at the cost of living index too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyEvans View Post
My husband is being relocated to the Inland Empire and we know almost nothing about the area. We have three young kids, so we're kind of concerned about air quality. A friend of ours swears there's no smog in Chino Hills--anybody know if this is true? Any insights would be really appreciated. Jenny
Air Quality Poor in Southern California?????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well,
Let us all look at the facts. Here is what the American Lung Association has to say:

Rankings - American Lung Association site (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=50752 - broken link)

Scroll down to the middle of the page where it ranks U.S. Counties Most Polluted by Annual Air Particle Pollution.
1) Riverside, Ca
2) San Bernardino, Ca
3) Los Angeles, Ca

8) ORANGE, CA

You decide. Is the Air Quality poor in So Cal (even Orange County, the O.C. ! ! !) ? Hmmmmm?

Old 06-17-2007, 03:19 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,987,732 times
Move closer to the water, the cleaner the air is ........

Old 06-21-2007, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 11,721 times
Lived in Chino Hills for over a decade. Beautiful NEW / FAMILY ORIENTED city. New homes, good schools, many parks. Very diverse population as is most of southern california. Access to many freeways.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:51 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,832,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Are you saying Temecula does? I can honestly say that's totally untrue. Norco, now, that's another story...
LOL!!!!!!!!!! My in-laws live in Norco. I can vouch for that.

Yep, it's very smoggy. Strangely, though, I don't think the smog detracts from the beauty--I saw someone else defended the beauty of the area. What it looks like is just either a hazy summer day, or like it's overcast and about to rain. (But we all know that doesn't happen, LOL. Except in the late winter/early spring a few times.)

I'm sure you're (the OP) more worried about the health aspects than the beauty, though. Yes, it is smoggy, for sure, sometimes visibly so, sometimes not, but it's pretty much always there. I think there may be sites where you can get smog updates, like a daily thing. You know, they tell you how bad it is on any given day. My DH (who grew up around here) tells me (he told me this AFTER we moved, mind you...) that there used to be days when the kids weren't allowed to play outside for recess due to heavy smog. From what I understand it's not like this happened every day or anything, but it happened.

SoCal is constantly trying to clean up its air pollution problem and to be fair, has made strides during the past three decades or so, but frankly, until public transportation is kicked up around here, the amount of car emissions alone are keeping up the smog problem something awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties