Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 20,486 times

Advertisements

Fuzz duckie, I live in San Bernardino (County ) High Desert coming from Rialto, CA which is not that far from San berdoo (as we call it) too be honest with you , they ''COULD'NT'' give me a House ''RENT FREE'' in that city. It's mostly crime infested, gang bangers throughout (not necessarily coming from l.a. either) that is why the rent is so cheap most likely its in a run down area of the city, not to say they dont have nice parts of San Bernardino (the north part) by Cal State University but I still would NEVER live there. But if you can try to seek residential set up in the north part of San Bernardino if you can or go next door to Calimesa, Good Luck ! P.S. I moved to So. Calif from New York City myself 19 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,520 times
Question need info on san bernardino county

my family and i are relocating to san bernardino county, i need to know the safety record of areas such as rialto, fontana, colton, highland, we own an appliance repair business and my brother travels to peoples homes to make repairs and i don't want to worry about his safety, we can afford rent as mush as $1600-$2000, which of these areas are recommended?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,553,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTTERFLY18 View Post
my family and i are relocating to san bernardino county, i need to know the safety record of areas such as rialto, fontana, colton, highland, we own an appliance repair business and my brother travels to peoples homes to make repairs and i don't want to worry about his safety, we can afford rent as mush as $1600-$2000, which of these areas are recommended?
NONE OF THE ABOVE ,Sorry > If it is a must then E. Highland $ wise

Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,883,720 times
Actually north Fontana, like Sierra Lakes, is nice (and really cheap), Colton near Reche Canyon is really nice and picturesque, and East Highland is also a great community. Check these places out.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:46 PM

66 posts, read 415,892 times
Default Avoid SoCal

I lived in and around the so-called "Inland Empire" for about twenty years. Specifically in Palm Springs, Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree and Idyllwild. Thanks largely to incredibly inept law enforcement over the last few decades, SoCal has the dubious distinction of being one of the most dangerous areas in the entire U.S.

Cheap rent can be found in most of these places mentioned, but they'll probably be situated in "bad" areas, and/or have some other VERY undesirable aspect to it. Robberies are commonplace in San Bernardino, with sophisticated gang activity that rivals the most imaginative movie script! Hell on earth? Perhaps it's not too exaggerated to say that.

I had a brand new truck and a brand new ATV (off-road) vehicle stolen within a few years of each other, both under incredibly dangerous conditions (for the thief) which leads me to believe these clowns were probably armed with something other than "snide remarks".

Besides....air pollution is so bad it's beyond mere words to describe! Combine that with the normal warm to hot temps, and you've got a prescription for future emphysema, lung cancer, pnemonia, etc. The most likely place to seek "cheap rent", and have the best chances to escape some of the above hazards is Joshua Tree. However, as I found out, most low rent cottages, cabins, etc. were many miles off the main areas of town, and thanks to the close proximity of the marine base at Twenty-nine Palms (about ten miles from J.T.) most rentals were jacked up in cost since landlords know that officers from the marine base prefer off-base (no pun intended!) housing, and are willing to pay for it.

Sometimes ya just can't win! These areas of SoCal were probably really desireable areas 40 to 50 years ago, but no more! Hard core, long-established gang activity, overwhelmed law enforcement agencies, and all the rest tell a sorry tale indeed!

My suggestion would be to AVOID at all costs anything from Fresno south to the Mexican border! The locals (and most especially previous, long-term locals like myself) know the REAL story of SoCal. Do yourself and your family a favor, seek an area that's less troubled by crime and pollution. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,615 times
I grew up in the NE section of San Bernardino in the 70's and 80's and have good and bad memories. We were a middle income family living in a nice neighborhood near Foothill & Arden Av. I recall in the very late 70's and early 80's, a big influx of lower income families moving into the local school districts. Most of the new kids were good and I became friends with many through high school. But the bad ones caused more fights and overall aggression were very apparant in the schools, ultimately scaring many families to move away soon after. It's too bad it's only gotten worse.

Here's what I remember:
I remember the wonderful Santa Ana winds kicking in with warm morning air before school. I also remember the terrific school teachers at Belvedere that always smiled and genuinely loved their kids. I remember the wonderful mountains to the north, east and west turning white after a storm. Oh....and I also remember the knife some kid stuck in my ass because I wouldn't give him a quarter so he could play a video game. Ahhhhh.....good ole' San Berdooooo!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,850 times
Default San Bernardino, huh?...Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzduckie View Post
I'm low income. I found 2 small houses in San Bernardino that were $550.00/month and the other was $600.00/month.
Which is great!!! I want a small house or cottage type of place.
But there must be a catch...Why so cheap? Is it a safe place?
Please, anything you can tell me would really be appreciated.
I live 2000 miles away, now.

San Bernardino is in large part very urban. There are some areas that are desireable, but I guarantee you that in those areas you will not find a house renting for $500-$600. There is an are near Cal State San Bernardino (University Parkway area); very, very nice: middle class working families and college students. Small sections of safe areas in general, but I would be very concerned. I owned a condo there about 4 years back. We had to be in the house before the street lights came on; things happened when it got dark that made our "safe looking" neighborhood not so safe. Call the police department and have them give you an analysis of the number of times they've had to respond to calls in the area of the address that you considering. Go to the Megans Law website to check on predators near your address. Good luck and God bless!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,850 times
Default I'd Choose Fontana...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTTERFLY18 View Post
All of these areas are very urban with a high concentration of criminal activity including gangs. Fontana, however, has really developed over the years and have many locations for which your $1600-$2000 rent will find you in beautiful gated safe communities. I would absolutely scratch Colton and Highland off of your list. Both are extremely urban, highly segregated, and overall unsafe. You will find some decent areas of Rialto, but do check with your local police department on how many times they've had to respond to calls in the areas of homes that interest you. Check the Meagans Law website for predators. We had to live in an apartment in Rialto for six months while we waited for our home to be built. I did a Meagans law check and their were over 100 predators within a mile of where I live and a couple of those were in the apartment building. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,661 times
hi i need help im lookin for a low income were tha move it total 850 n no credit check n it has to b n the san bernadino county n e thing?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
I lived in san bernardino (del rosa) area for 10 yrs & will NEVER live in SB again. SB is a horrid city full of drugs, gangs, crime & illegal alians. I only go to SB when i absolutely have to. Highland is not much better. Plus they are both dirty cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties