Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 AM

19 posts, read 71,086 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Especially Twinkle toes who might know the answer to this question about her town....

I have been looking on Realtor.Com in La Quinta and I have noticed a specific area which seems to have a LOT of low priced homes for sale. They don't look too bad from what I can tell.

The area I speak of is to the North West of the lake Cahuilla recreaction area (right above it on the map). It is the neaighborhood where all of the streets are named Avenida or Calle something. And Eisenhower Drive & Avenida Bermudas runs North/South through it. Is this area 'the cove'? If not, where IS 'the cove'?

Is this an area for someone with a 2 year old child looking for a safe, quiet neighborhood to be interested in? We are going out to Palm Desert next week and I don't want to waste our time (or our realtor's) if this is a less desirable area. Please share what you know.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Hi Doghandler,

Yes, all the streets that start with Avenida are in the Cove. The areas you mentioned - Eisenhower and Bermudez are the outer streets that border the cove. The cove is kind of a hodgepodge. Some parts are safe and some not so much. I wouldn't say it's a horrible place, but the closer you get toward the mountain (south, I think) the nicer the area becomes. Some parts of the cove are beautiful, and some are kind of run down. Overall, I would say the area is safe for raising kids. The schools are good too.

I got your DM, but have not had time to sit down yet and give you a really good response to your questions - but I'll try to get to it tonight. I haven't abandoned you!

Old 05-17-2009, 02:07 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,144 times
I live in La Quinta too. I agree with Twinkle Toe's assessment, though I think if you can swing it North La Quinta is better from a standpoint of more consistent safety and great schools. The cove has some good and bad all mixed together so be very careful to look around closely at the surrounding area of any house you might be interested in. I love the area of the cove, but feel much safer up north.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hi Doghandler,

Yes, all the streets that start with Avenida are in the Cove. The areas you mentioned - Eisenhower and Bermudez are the outer streets that border the cove. The cove is kind of a hodgepodge. Some parts are safe and some not so much. I wouldn't say it's a horrible place, but the closer you get toward the mountain (south, I think) the nicer the area becomes. Some parts of the cove are beautiful, and some are kind of run down. Overall, I would say the area is safe for raising kids. The schools are good too.

I got your DM, but have not had time to sit down yet and give you a really good response to your questions - but I'll try to get to it tonight. I haven't abandoned you!
Thinking about buying a seasonal condo out in the PGA West in La Quinta. Do you think that is a good place to own a condo as far as values going back up in 18mos-3yrs? Yes golfer here! Also do you think it will be easier to draw renters than other Cities as it is a golf destination? Also from what i have heard it seems like La Q, Indian Wells, RM and PD are the places to be..with LA Q the younger up n coming city.?? any truth to this?? thx in advance!

thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 PM

You can't go wrong with PGA West. Yes, you are correct - IW, LQ, PD and RM are the places to be. LQ is experiencing a lot of growth right now, but there is still plenty of land and it is not crowded here. Any of these four cities will draw renters, as there are golf courses and country clubs literally everywhere all over the valley.

I don't golf, but my husband is an avid golfer. We live in LQ, but lived in PD in the past. He prefers the public Desert Willow course in PD over the public Silver Rock golf course in LQ. When you live in these cities you can get a resident card to play golf at a very reduced rate, and these courses are very nice. Just from what I've heard, most people prefer Desert Willow, so you might want to consider a rental condo in PD, if your renters want to get the PD resident card and play there.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 10,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
You can't go wrong with PGA West. Yes, you are correct - IW, LQ, PD and RM are the places to be. LQ is experiencing a lot of growth right now, but there is still plenty of land and it is not crowded here. Any of these four cities will draw renters, as there are golf courses and country clubs literally everywhere all over the valley.

I don't golf, but my husband is an avid golfer. We live in LQ, but lived in PD in the past. He prefers the public Desert Willow course in PD over the public Silver Rock golf course in LQ. When you live in these cities you can get a resident card to play golf at a very reduced rate, and these courses are very nice. Just from what I've heard, most people prefer Desert Willow, so you might want to consider a rental condo in PD, if your renters want to get the PD resident card and play there.
Thanks Twinkle Toes!! The condo of interest is on the semi-private TPC Stadium Course so i figre golfers that want a challange will be able to play the course and stay there too.

I have played Desert Willow and yes, it is a great course and only about 10mins away from PGA West, which is nice..I hear the resident deals are a steal! So if you have a La Q resident card you dont get any sort of discount for any other cities courses and vice versa??

I also like the way PGA W is not in the middle of everyting but everything is 10 mins away! LQ is spread out and has a newer upscale feel...IMO Probably going to go w/ PGA West. Cant wait

Thx for the insight.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 AM

No, the resident card is only good for the course in the city where you live. Each city has one. You can still play the other courses but you won't get the resident discount.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,783 times
My husband and I will be retiring as soon as our home sells in Redlands. We are considering a few 55+ communities...Trilogy in La Quinta being one of them. We visited Trilogy 2 years ago and we were very impressed. I have read in the other blogs about an area of La Quinta called the Cove. How far is the Cove from Trilogy and is there a lot of graffitti in that community and throughout the city? I didn't see any when I was there. I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but my husband and I are trying to avoid cities with a bad element and having to shop amongst ghetto people. We are looking for a nice, safe, clean, manicured environment. I was just wondering what types of problems exist with this Cove neighborhood?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Whatever happens in the Cove typically stays in the Cove and doesn't spill out into the Trilogy area.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:59 PM

24 posts, read 101,331 times
I'm not sure why the Cove gets such a bad rap. Unlike most of LQ and surrounding areas of Palm Desert, the Cove is a year-round community with more working people. While most of LQ is decidedly upscale, the Cove gives off a definite (lower-to-mid) middle class vibe. The streets are clean and safe (not sure about the poster who mentioned grafitti-- I've never seen any) and you often see kids walking around or biking alone. The western (not southern) edge of the Cove is more upscale with newer and nicer homes, but the neighborhood itself isn't entirely even-- some streets are definitely nicer than others. But it's not a bad area by any stretch (not even close compared to parts of Cat City or Indio). My parents have lived nearby (by the LQ hotel) and never heard of crime in the area.

That said, if shopping near working class people bothers you, avoid Ralph's on Washington St. and go instead to Henry's or Jensen's, which are far more upscale grocery stores. And skip the Circle K on Tampico entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties