Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 16,708 times

Advertisements

Taking a job in Hemet. I have always lived in the Indianapolis, IN area...lots of stuff to do, but not TOO big or expensive. I am taking a job transfer to Hemet very soon, with no time to really prepare for anything or even go there to look around the areas. I've never been to CA. I am curious where would be a good place to live, without a BIG commute to Hemet. Is the price worth staying near Hemet? From what I've heard, I would not want to LIVE in that town, as it's an "old" depressed crowd, with little to do. Do any surrounding areas such as Temecula, or Redlands actually have nicer weather for being outdoors, or is it all hot hot hot? I'd like to live somewhere that rent is affordable, but I'd like to be around a somewhat younger crowd where I can meet people, find events to do (night life) and most important, do some mountain biking daily. I've been looking at these locations: Temecula, Murrieta, Redlands. They seem "drivable" and look like happening places. I hear you get a slightly better breeze in higher elevations, which may be good for biking and not dying of heat stroke. I'm 26, single, and will probably be pulling in around 60k a year, if that helps to decide. Also, I've heard it's cheaper to just rent a room from someone with a house / condo, than to get a single apartment. Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 37,177 times
You might want to check out Idyllwild...it's in the mountains above Hemet (The kids that live in Idyllwild actually go down the hill to Hemet for high school, so it's not too far.) The mtn bike riding is some of the best in So Cal. Not enough snow to really stop riding in winter. There is a cool mtn bike community that puts together rides almost every weekend (Check out Bud's Bike Shop).

Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 PM

149 posts, read 1,022,734 times
My first thought was Idlewilde also.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 16,708 times
Default Temecula?

Isn't Idyllwild a bit of a drive from Hemet? Only 35 miles but I heard it would be a long drive because of the twisty climb up the mountain...is that place affordable? It looks like it would be awesome for trails tho. What about Temecula? It looks like it would only be 40 minutes tops to Hemet, and half way to the beach. I've also "heard" it's a bit cooler climate than Hemet and has much to do. I'm not sure if it's near any trail riding tho...

Old 05-21-2007, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 86,239 times
Default Hemet

I feel for you moving to that area. A relative moved there and always said "why did I move to this ---forsaken place". Rent would not be much there. There are a few small towns on the way to Hemet, which are right off the main hwy you take, which are more rural and hilly. Not bad places. It gets very HOT there in summer and cold in the winter. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,527 times
Default Hemet's not that bad...

I live in Menifee (for 11 yrs now)which is about 15 miles SE of Hemet. There has been such a tremendous influx of people from SD & OC, to this area in the last 5 yrs. that we are now somewhat mini-metropolises, if you will. So, you have Temecula, Murrieta (which is my fav), Menifee, Wildomar, San Jacinto, Winchester, (these are all close to Hemet) stay away from Perris & Moreno Valley they are ghettos. Idyllwild is really pretty but it's a bit of a drive to Hemet. Be prepared, the summers are very hot here, sometimes in the triple digits. I would say your best bet would be either Temecula or Murrieta because they have everything you would need-shopping, entertainment, nice restraunts, young people, etc. Good luck !

Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,527 times
BTW, there are tons of riding trails in almost every city I mentioned. And rent is not cheap anymore. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM

19 posts, read 186,196 times
Thumbs up Give Hemet a chance...I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztbishop View Post
Isn't Idyllwild a bit of a drive from Hemet? Only 35 miles but I heard it would be a long drive because of the twisty climb up the mountain...is that place affordable? It looks like it would be awesome for trails tho. What about Temecula? It looks like it would only be 40 minutes tops to Hemet, and half way to the beach. I've also "heard" it's a bit cooler climate than Hemet and has much to do. I'm not sure if it's near any trail riding tho...
Actually, the drive to Idyllwild would be about the same as to Temecula. Well, I take that back, it really depends on which side of Hemet you are talking about-- It can take a good 20-25 mintues to get from the east (closer to Idyllwild) to the west (closer to Temecula) sides of town. I grew up on the east side of Hemet, and my friends and I were always heading "up the hill" and it rarely took us more than 30 minutes or so. Idyllwild is going to be more on the unaffordable side, probably out of range. Temecula is usually a few degrees cooler than Hemet (still HOT, though...triple digits for most of July and August, like all of the surrounding areas), but also a tad more humid, so you really won't notice. Hemet is legendary for singetrack, and that really is your best bet for mountain biking. Hemet gets a bad rap, but it is really not a bad place. Most of the folks who will comment have not really seen the place in its entirity, let alone lived there. The areas of town that one would "drive thorugh" on their way somewhere else are not all that pleasant, so alot of opinions are based on that. Just like anywhere there are good and bad parts of town. It is true, however, that it suffers from a lack of a "nightlife" if that is what you are into. It isn't really a "retirement" mecca as much as it used to be, but that influence is still felt. I really can't say enough about the riding opportunities available therer, though! Very different from IN I would imagine!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:59 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
I lived in Temecula and Murrieta from 2000 to 2006. For a year of that time I worked in Hemet and still know people that live there.
Personal opinion? DO NOT live in Hemet. The only thing cool there would be the mountain biking. No nightlife, hotter than hell in the summer, lots of tweakers and old people. I always felt Hemet was depressing. There are a few decent neighborhoods, but since you are single and will be making around $60k a year, why live in Hemet?
California is overpriced. Why? Because it's California! Sure, you could save a few bucks and live in Hemet, but if I were you I would spend a bit more and live somewhere nicer, like Murrieta or Temecula. No where is perfect but these towns, Temecula especially, will offer way more bang for your buck.
The only other town would be Idyllwild, but you will be way out, close to practically nothing else. Being young and from Indiana, I'm sure you'll want to explore the rest of Cali, and that would be easier from Temecula/Murrieta.
Also, Redlands is a very nice town, I actually lived there for a while too, in 1999. The only problem there is it features some of the worst smog in California, if not the world. Besides that, it has a great downtown thing going on.
Good luck!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 19,302 times
I may be renting a nice room in Beaumont not far at all from Hemet. All util. commen pools,spa, fitness gym,all in our new home area. Check out Fairway Canyon.com 951-845-7389
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties