Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,840,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Because we all know middle class suburbia is really creepy and scary...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 PM

41 posts, read 107,618 times
Default Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
And I love walking on the beach barefoot as well!

California isn't for everyone - obviously - and if you feel conflicted, then it may not be for you. But some of us love it deeply...

Riverside is "old California" - it's got orange groves, and three colleges, and the coolest boutique hotel you've ever seen. It's hot in summer and beautiful in winter. It's old Victorian houses, and little craftsman cottages, but there's also suburban sprawl. It's a major city with a population of over two-million - but it can feel like a small town at times. There's great poverty in some parts, and great wealth in other parts, and everything in between.

I think it's a great city and i've never felt at all unsafe there, but then again I've lived in downtown San Diego and Los Angeles, and never had any trouble.
Most of this is true, except Riverisde the city has a population of 300,000. Riverside the county has millions of people. All in all, Riverside is a good city. I was born in Glendora and raised in Riveside for the past 20 years (I'm 25), so I know SoCal and Riverside well. I've never had any kind of a problem with gangs/drugs/crime. I'm not sheltered by any means but I do live in one of the better parts of the city (Arlington Heights). Alessandro Heights, Woodcrest, and the downtown area/Wood Streets are also nice. So to the OP: In my opinion, don't pay any attention to crime rates and ugly descriptions. Riverside is decent. Although if you're unused to culture diversity or dislike social conservatives (i.e., republicans), Riverside might not be for you. I, for one, love being surrounded by Mexicans, blacks, and Asians (I'm white). I could definitely do with less conservatives though lol. Eh, that's what weekends in LA are for

Anyway, hope I said something worthwhile to make you less apprehensive about the potential move.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM

41 posts, read 107,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2349 View Post
I teach high school and live in Riverside. I've seen some negative comments about Riverside and none are true. It is a clean city and very forward thinking on the environment. In fact the state endowed upon Riverside the title of Emerald City (the first one in the state!). The city fleet has more hybrid and alternative vehicles than anywhere else. The largest CNG fueling facility in Calif. is at the city yard and is open to the public. Riverside met the state's recycling standards years before anyone else!
How many cities can boast of having 3 universities in it in addition to a large community college?
If you want to live in a bedroom community, then pick Yucaipa or Temecula. They look the same. If you want to live in a diverse, unique and beautiful city you would be proud to call your own, then Riverside is the choice for you.
Word

Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 PM

130 posts, read 292,254 times
Default opened my eyes

[quote=rah;13982734]California cities of 250,000 or more residents, by crime rate per 100,000 residents (2008 numbers):
That was a really good chart
I have seen some seedy areas in Riverside and some beautiful residential and downtown areas. I thought it had a bad rep but your chart really opened my eyes.
I know San Fran really well and would have classified it as an old upscale very cool town.
It it several notches up the list from riverside as far as crime goes ...and since I know where you are supposed to go in SF i am never scared there.
I will consider riverside when we move because of that chart

Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 PM

74 posts, read 243,694 times
I have shopped and spent time in Riverside over the past 20 years, and it has some really upscale areas, some upper-middle areas, some regular old middle class areas, and some poor areas. Something for everyone, and crime generally follows according to neighborhood. Compared to L.A., the gangs and crime are much less. Overall, very AVERAGE as far as cities go.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:55 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,350,993 times
There will be more gangs in FL, NOLA, TX and CA because of the year round pleasant weather. Gangs are creatures of habit too and will gravitate toward areas in the US with the best weather.

The local police department should be able to tell any prospective new reisident what the crime stats are in the 1000 block of ABC street. As to actual gang activity I doubt that Riverside is any worse than any other city of the same population in America.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:58 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,158,475 times
I just want to add that people tend to paint CA with a broad brush in general. I don't know if it's because of insulated locals that only watch the news and never get out or newbies from other areas that are afraid of what looks different from what they are used to.

But when people throw around the issues of gangs, crime, pollution, cant breathe, etc., I think, where did you come from and where exactly are you living now that these issues make life unbearable here?

And ontop of CA getting this bad rap, the Inland Empire and Riverside get ripped into escpecially hard. I work with the court system and with civil cases out of court so I am aware of local crime issues, not just statistics. And crime IS everywhere...in America. But Riverside is really a typical CA city for its size. You can be perfectly safe and happy living here. I think some people want planned communities with security walls and controlled access and anything that isn't like this with a spanking new shopping big box center down the road is "ghetto".

Riverside actually has character. Yes, smog is very bad some days. But not being able to breathe? Maybe those people are extremely sensitive with their asthma. But people go about buisness normally, despite "dirty" air. Yes, it is awful to see and know it's there, but CA cities are located in valleys, not open plains. So it's a definite drawback but it comes with the territory.

Crime is higher in CA, it is a very populated place. You have to be careful where you live to avoid having section 8 neighbors. But isn't this everywhere? At least I think it is. So it is no different here. And higher crime has more to do with the population being high IMO. Most crime is actually in fighting with gangs, people on drugs and domestic violence. This can EASILY be avoided be law abiding citizens. Just use common sense to avoid any random crime that could happen anywhere.

The bottom line is, Riverside is what you make of it. If you show up predisposed to being afraid and depressed, it will be "bad." If you come with an open mind, you will find it's mild winter weather, nearby mountain views, shopping and diversity is very refreshing and the city to be quite liveable. So it is what it is. I think it is silly to TRY to have a long commute in CA. Why not TRY to live in a nice area near one's job??

Well, I just wanted to give my perspective, I don't live in Riverside but I work in the Inland Empire and am there quite a bit. Please, don't be overly worried about safety and liveabilty soley based on stats online and horror stories from city data. The excessive negativity skews what the area is like to the average, open minded person.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:36 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,039,147 times
I have a friend in IL who had to make 3 visits to Fontana between 2007 and 2011 before he finally saw a smoggy day. Imagine that.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,158,475 times
I also would like to add, my experience with congestion hasn't been as bad as I was led to believe either. Not to say traffic is light and efficient, but I expected gridlock in every direction around the clock practically when I first arrived....and ironically, the times I have had traffic issues has been during late night construction lane closures which have lead to huge backups. And of course there has been congestion here and there, but overall the road and freeway network is efficient assuming there are no accidents or rain storms. So that is another "complaint" that is overdone. Unless again, you are one of those people who choose to live 40 miles from your place of work. Then your odds of getting stuck in traffic more frequently are higher.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,675,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There will be more gangs in FL, NOLA, TX and CA because of the year round pleasant weather. Gangs are creatures of habit too and will gravitate toward areas in the US with the best weather.
That doesn't explain Chicago and Detroit and a pretty large number of other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties