Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 60,296 times

Advertisements

Being relocated to riverside with husband/elementary age kids. Have you ever googled Riverside, CA? The reviews are graphic, the crime rating scores are high, and just today I read there are 186 gangs in the county - is Riverside safe? Are there certain sections of town to avoid, or others that are preferable to live in?
Thanks in advance for the advice and candid feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:20 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
I love Riverside!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
These questions are kind of broad, but chances are that you'd be fine.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:58 AM

90 posts, read 321,559 times
Safety is a relative term altogether, however, having lived in different parts of the country, including CA for 11 years, CA is not an altogether safe area. It does depend on how you define safe.

There's a greater incidence of gangs, violence, fnancial and property instability than anywhere else I've seen. There is a greater disparity between the haves and have nots, which makes for greater irritation in interpersonal matters. Lots of comparisons. You may very well 'be fine,' but that will be at a greater personal cost than can be tabulated. Southern CA has a greater superficiality and a greater need for personal freedoms at other's expense. While Californians extol personal freedom, it is at a cost to those who don't get their first slice of the pie. Does this make it unsafe? There are other parts of the country that don't have that, you don't need such a thick skin, and you do fine without such intrusiveness. How much sand do you like in your shoes until your socks wear out, your feet are irritated, and a particularly sharp grain gets to your in-grown toe?

That's what I'm talking about. It's not such a rat-race elsewhere. Is that a safety issue? There are greater risks to personal freedom and identity. Play your chances.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profgent1 View Post
How much sand do you like in your shoes until your socks wear out, your feet are irritated, and a particularly sharp grain gets to your in-grown toe?
And I love walking on the beach barefoot as well!

California isn't for everyone - obviously - and if you feel conflicted, then it may not be for you. But some of us love it deeply...

Riverside is "old California" - it's got orange groves, and three colleges, and the coolest boutique hotel you've ever seen. It's hot in summer and beautiful in winter. It's old Victorian houses, and little craftsman cottages, but there's also suburban sprawl. It's a major city with a population of over two-million - but it can feel like a small town at times. There's great poverty in some parts, and great wealth in other parts, and everything in between.

I think it's a great city and i've never felt at all unsafe there, but then again I've lived in downtown San Diego and Los Angeles, and never had any trouble.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 AM

41 posts, read 314,945 times
I'm from a small town in PA, about 9,000 populace total, but wanted to input my thoughts.

Anymore, there are 2-3 large drug raids per year per city (this including the surrounding 3-4 cities). Their have been gangs and gang violence since I can remember.

I believe it is relative to the area and just because there might not be any stats for violence in a city, doesn't exactly make that city safe.

Here's a pretty good website:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Good luck on your searches.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 05:23 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 AM

169 posts, read 698,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm987654321 View Post
Being relocated to riverside with husband/elementary age kids. Have you ever googled Riverside, CA? The reviews are graphic, the crime rating scores are high, and just today I read there are 186 gangs in the county - is Riverside safe? Are there certain sections of town to avoid, or others that are preferable to live in?
I went to UCR about 10 years ago. The university was fine, but I didn't like the City much. Downtown wasn't a place to walk at night. I would look into Redlands instead.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm987654321 View Post
Any reason you can't live near, but not actually in Riverside? I'd go south to Temecula with kids. I don't know Redlands, but have heard it's nice. There is an area I used to drive through every week in Riverside that looked nice. It was on Van Buren, and there were some nice houses south of that area. Couldn't say how the schools were though.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
And so, Riverside gets shoved aside for the usual suspects.....the Temecula's and Redlands'es of the world.

For shame.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
To the OP:

Riverside is quite large in area. I would think you should be able to find SOMETHING there that will meet your needs for safe and comfortable shelter.

As for the poster above expostulating on the "rat race", Riverside is not known for being the center of THAT, per se.

The only case where that could be made is for people (and there are many of them) that have so "bought into" the idea that they must have a house RIGHT NOW or VERY SOON that they are willing to work in LA or Orange County (or some other place that gives them a 40-70 mile commute ONE WAY) and to live in Riverside or even more distant places.

This is not to put down Riverside or anywhere else, but I'm not so sure that people making that commute care for where they live so much as that they have a HOUSE.

If you are working in the area, I say go for living in it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties