Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM

18 posts, read 98,408 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here commute from Coachella Valley to San Bernardino every morning? There's a good chance I'll find work in San Bernardino, but I would prefer to live near Palm Desert, Indio, etc.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who endures this commute. Is it bad or is it manageable?

Thanks,

TF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 AM

27,402 posts, read 27,449,310 times
We live in the high desert and my son-in-law commutes down the hill every day to work. The downfall is though, when it snows or extreme weather conditions, rather than chance it, he'll stay at his moms overnight because the CHP closes the pass for obvious reasons.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM

493 posts, read 1,450,988 times
We live in Highland, a suburb of San Bernardino. Is there a reason that you want to live all the way out there if you work in SB? You'd be passing Redlands, a very nice community to live in.

Once rural areas, such as Yucaipa, Banning and Beaumont, are growing at a rapid pace. Many new retirement communities have sprung up out that way. Coming in, you'll have traffic building where the 10/60 freeways split, and on into Redlands. Traffic can come to a standstill going down the hill in Redlands toward SB, although it's somewhat better now that lanes have been added to the San Bernardino Freeway.

In the warmer months, you'll have a lot of outgoing traffic because of people going to the river, and out to Laughlin all year. The Friday outbound trip home could dampen the beginning of your weekend.

It will also be considerably hotter in Coachella Valley than in Redlands in the summer.

If I can help with any specifics, let me know. My office is in downtown SB.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,469,259 times
Back in the last century, my company moved. I drove from San Bernardino to the desert.

For 30 days.
I moved.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:08 PM

Hi jmlowman,

I appreciate your willingness to help. I guess what I'll be looking for in the coming months is an apartment in or around SB that's located in an area that's safe and quiet. I heard that SB and areas that are in proximity of SB are unsafe and have experienced a rise in gang activity. Keep in mind, that's what I heard, so I don't want to appear presumptuous. I heard that Coachella Valley was safe and I certainly don't mind the heat! But essentially, I was looking for a place that safe and quiet, and if there's such a location near SB, I'd love to learn more about it. Thanks, again.

TF

Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,406,972 times
You don't want to live in San Bernardino. Yes, there are nice parts to it, but very close by are bad neighborhoods. I mean dangerous neighborhoods. I work in San Bernardino and know it well. As for your proposed commute, it would be tough. There is a bottleneck every morning through Redlands which will grind you to a halt for up to 25 mins. each day, each way.

I would recommend you live in Redlands, a nice community. Lots of old homes, some even 19th century homes, it's quiet, hot in the summer but mild in the winter.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:06 PM

493 posts, read 1,450,988 times
Okay, if you're talking apartment living, then I can't think of anywhere in the San Bernardino area that would fit your criteria. You would be better off in Redlands. I know of one complex near the University of Redlands that is nice, and I'm sure that there are others.

Redlands is a very nice city with a small-town feel to it. The historic downtown is very walkable.

You would be close enough to San Bernardino that you could drive in on the surface streets and avoid the freeway congestion. Probably 20-30 minutes, depending on where you work and live.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,469,259 times
Here are 3 pages of different apartments in San Bernardino, Colton, Grand Terrace, Riverside, Redlands, Loma Linda, etc.

Pay no attention to the actual city it's in - you have to look at the map to see what neighborhood they're in. For example, one may say Colton - but it's on Barton Road close to Loma Linda University.

This may at least give you a starting point!

Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks, guys! I really and sincerely appreciate your help and advice. I WILL follow it.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:20 AM

17 posts, read 55,383 times
I would defiantly move to Yucaipa as this is city is kind of like the last of the Mohican's meaning it really hasnt been hit with all the low income people from LA like all the surrounding city's around San Bernardino, Yes Redlands has some nice parts as well as East highland,Beaumont,Grand terrace but if your looking for an all around communtiy that is nice go to Yucaipa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties