Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 PM

49 posts, read 165,332 times

Advertisements

I will be overseas for an extended period of time. Is it necessary to turn off the refrigerator and hot water boiler when I am away? It is a good idea to have lamp timers? Is there anything else I should do before I leave town? Oh, I have already notified my local post office to hold all of my mails until further notice. I hope you all can give me some good ideas. Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:14 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdude View Post
I will be overseas for an extended period of time. Is it necessary to turn off the refrigerator and hot water boiler when I am away? It is a good idea to have lamp timers? Is there anything else I should do before I leave town? Oh, I have already notified my local post office to hold all of my mails until further notice. I hope you all can give me some good ideas. Thanks a million!
unplug everything that is electrical, turn off gas lines, I would even close water valves from underneath sink

Old 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
I would call the gas, electric, etc companies and tell them to turn off service until you get back.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
• Make sure the doors are open on the unplugged refrigerator while you're gone.
• Have water shut off at the main, unless water is needed to keep plants alive.
• If water will stay on, shut off all angle stops at the supplies to toilets, sinks, and the washer.
• Shut off power/gas to your boiler and drain it.
• Shut gas supply off.
• Have a few interior lights set up on random timers.
• Also have front and rear porch lights set up on timers. Don't leave them going 24/7.
• Shut all drapes/blinds.
• Have someone drop by periodically to pick up fliers, free newspapers, phone books, and anything else dropped off or otherwise left on the premises.
• Leave a radio on.
• Arrange for periodic yard work to keep plants alive, weeds down and trash picked up. No need for the home to become an eyesore, which would also attract attention from the wrong element.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:51 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
• Make sure the doors are open on the unplugged refrigerator while you're gone.
• Have water shut off at the main, unless water is needed to keep plants alive.
• If water will stay on, shut off all angle stops at the supplies to toilets, sinks, and the washer.
• Shut off power/gas to your boiler and drain it.
• Shut gas supply off.
• Have a few interior lights set up on random timers.
• Also have front and rear porch lights set up on timers. Don't leave them going 24/7.
• Shut all drapes/blinds.
• Have someone drop by periodically to pick up fliers, free newspapers, phone books, and anything else dropped off or otherwise left on the premises.
• Leave a radio on.
• Arrange for periodic yard work to keep plants alive, weeds down and trash picked up. No need for the home to become an eyesore, which would also attract attention from the wrong element.

Good advice. I'd add, don't tell anyone other than immediate family members that you're leaving. Also, leave a contact number for the person who might be keeping an eye on the place for you. Put any valuables you have in a safety deposit box. Make sure everything is locked up tight, including the garage and shed if you have those.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM

great pointers! thanks!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:51 PM

is it a good idea to remove the battery terminals off of my car's engine while I am away to prevent the battery from being drained? I will be away from home for about 6 to 8 months. my car is a 2010 Ford EDGE.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:01 PM

I would do that. I would also not want a lot of gas in the tank.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,431 times
Why would anyone leave a radio on. I understand the purpose but a short in the radio could start a fire. Batteries would only last a couple of weeks.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:54 PM

I was a firefighter for 27 years and can't ever recall an operating radio being the cause of a house fire. That includes tube as well as solid state radios.

Double
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties