U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM

46 posts, read 179,129 times

Advertisements

We have been in Temecula for under two years. We have a children that play fastpitch softball, little league baseball, youth soccer, and pop warner football. Every league has "volunteer" managers, usually dad of pitcher, catcher, or quarterback to get more play time. Where do these dads work where they can be at practices and games at 4pm during the week? Then at 5pm when game starts the stand is full of more dads? After two years I noticed alot of parents are home at early afternoon hours. I am new to the area and I did not know the area well. My husband who is a Marine at Camp Pendleton who is home in time to kiss their child to bed, thinks most are unemployed. It really angers him that while he is pulling double duty most are going on sitting on two to three years unemployment benifets and family home life. I want to prove him wrong that these parents are not milking the system for years and are working. But, I took my son to Murietta skatepark yesterday at 4pm and it was full of fastpitch softball teams, and lost dream dads yelling at their daughters to run faster. I am for Detroit. Is there a factory around here, or mid shift jobs, or that many work own hours oportunities. Just trying to cool my Marines temper down as he heads off to Afganistan again as any history major knows it is a tool to build the us economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM

456 posts, read 1,160,220 times
I appreciate what your husband has done for this country and all the time he has put into serving, tell him thank you.

I can't speak for all Dads and I am not one yet (but someday we hope to have a couple) but I work from home pretty much everyday. We just moved to Temecula and I sometimes wonder what my neighbors think (the ones who don't know what I do) when I am home all the time or when I am out doing yard work at all hours of the day, or when I go on a jog midday. They probably think the same things that your husband is thinking. I am sure some of the Dads work from home, some probably have different hours, or possibly a their own business and I am sure some might not work at all. I highly doubt that all of them are just collecting a check for unemployment, but I am sure some are.

Someday I hope to continue to work from home so I can spend lots of time with my kids (when we have them)

Old 04-01-2010, 09:03 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,350,524 times
They could be college professors ... they could own their own business or shop ... they could be in agriculture ... they could be utility workers who work the night shift .... they could work weekends and have 2 "normal" days as their weekend ... Heck, I work in an office; but my hours are 6:30 to 3!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 PM

16,799 posts, read 36,722,150 times
Some could be firefighters (24 hour shift work example: 1 on, 1 off, 1 on 2 off, 1 on 4 off).

Some could be telecommuters.

Some could work swing or graves.

Suggest to your Marine that he not assume sloth is the answer.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,097,054 times
Suggest he mind his own business.
They could work at night , or any hours , home based business , et al.
Whatever happened to tending to one's own family and affairs.
But , he is a member of armed forces , who by order , have to meddle in others affairs. But he and anyone else with this 'public has the right to know' mentality need to relax.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:28 AM

15,607 posts, read 38,740,487 times
Perhaps these dads are lawyers? My husband is a lawyer and he's able to golf with his buddies, go to lunch with me, or basically do whatever he wants, when he wants because he gets his work done very early in the morning and only goes to court on certain days. Oh, and he has a home office where he does all of his work and only goes into the office if he needs to see clients.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 AM

3,052 posts, read 7,170,925 times
Yea, one of my best buds just landed over there today. He'll be gone 6-9 months...possible more since they like to keep people there longer than they are first told.

Maybe some of them got off work early to see the game?

Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 PM

456 posts, read 1,160,220 times
Flex hours, maybe they make up the time later on in the week.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:55 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,456,051 times
Every couple yrs, it appears to me that more & more people OF ALL AGES & GENDERS are free. The gym I go to is very crowded during the late morning time (10am - 1pm). Then, it's crowded again starting around 3-4pm.

I always wondered what kinds of jobs these people have be free right smack in the middle of the day...even earlier than 4pm.

I'm a substitute teacher, so I work on an on-call basis. The days I'm working, I'm off from work generally between 1:30 & 2:30.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,541,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienyie View Post
We have been in Temecula for under two years. We have a children that play fastpitch softball, little league baseball, youth soccer, and pop warner football. Every league has "volunteer" managers, usually dad of pitcher, catcher, or quarterback to get more play time. Where do these dads work where they can be at practices and games at 4pm during the week? Then at 5pm when game starts the stand is full of more dads? After two years I noticed alot of parents are home at early afternoon hours. I am new to the area and I did not know the area well. My husband who is a Marine at Camp Pendleton who is home in time to kiss their child to bed, thinks most are unemployed. It really angers him that while he is pulling double duty most are going on sitting on two to three years unemployment benifets and family home life. I want to prove him wrong that these parents are not milking the system for years and are working. But, I took my son to Murietta skatepark yesterday at 4pm and it was full of fastpitch softball teams, and lost dream dads yelling at their daughters to run faster. I am for Detroit. Is there a factory around here, or mid shift jobs, or that many work own hours oportunities. Just trying to cool my Marines temper down as he heads off to Afganistan again as any history major knows it is a tool to build the us economy.
I was in escrow in Temecula at a job where I would telecommute 100% of the time working east coast hours when I lost my job mid year last year. The job market has been totally dead until the turn of the year this year for most technical positions among others(2 interviews in the last 6 months of last year, but 3 so far in the first 3 months this year).

Your husband is being a little too judgmental considering he can't get fired(dishonorably discharged) unless he screws up pretty bad and the armed forces don't lay anyone off unless your contract is up and you don't re-up. Over 1 in 10 are unemployed in CA and many of them just can't find work because it isn't there. Has nothing to do with slothfulness generally. Anyways, you pay in to unemployment while you are employed so you can have benefits when you aren't, and the military receive breaks on taxes and services regardless, so it's not like he doesn't receive benefits that others cannot. While he may understand that there is a recession going on, not being a civvie in the private sector prevents him from seeing that from the inside.

Anyways, when I was working at home I was able to attend all of my sons practices and even coached on the teams he played on. Many of the dads I know that attend practice run their own business(current baseball head coach runs a realty, football coach is a contractor), work early shifts on practice/game days(benefit of working on the west coast is being able to work east coast hours for many positions), or work at home. And that doesn't count the number of women that don't work at all that attend practice. Men have lost work a lot more this recession than women, and women are making more than ever, so men have been able to stay at home with their children. Being a "house-husband" isn't such a big deal when your wife is making enough to cover the bills.

I've valued my time off, despite searching day and night for work, because I've had time to tutor my child myself and avoid day care in the process. If your husband wants to resent those that chose professions where they can budget their time for their children or simply can't find work, I can't stop him, but he has to remember that his profession was his choice, just like the ER neurosurgeon probably isn't going to attend his sons games because of the profession he chose. It's not quite sour grapes, but this is a virtual world and where you live has less effect on when you work than ever before and it seems he might not understand that fully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties