Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:42 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times

Advertisements

Firstly forget the visa lottery it does not apply to British citizens.
For a work visa you will need a sponsor.
The best way in my opinion is to visit for three months and “wing it”, if you have to go back then you have to go back but any self respecting journalist should be able to work “something” out.
Much more opportunity in LA for Media people.
Good luck and if you need to know something specific,just ask!!
The only way to pay for your own sponsorship is the EB-5 visa.
It will cost $500,000 which you will eventually get back.
http://www.eb5jaypeakresort.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 14,059 times
Hi Impala

We've already made applications through the green card lottery program (fortunately we both hold Irish passports). But obviously we're aware that it is not something that's not likely to materialise. I'm pretty sure the partner will get the highly skilled visa he is after. The problem is with me. With only an undergraduate degree and three years of experience, I'm not considered a rare opportunity for a potential employer. Might have to look into studying for a Masters degree if I won't find a job in time.

As for L.A - from the three times I've been there I could honestly say that it is not my cup of tea. But thanks for the info

Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 PM

18 posts, read 16,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelieuk View Post
Hello everyone

We're an English couple in our mid-twenties, and we've both decided to move to California (and more specifically to San Diego). I don't think we're going to move before January because we need to arrange the appropriate visas and paperwork but if any of you could help me with a few quick questions I'd be very very grateful:

1. We both work in the Media industry (journalists), and I'm aware that the SD market is very high-tech orientated. We've got loads of experience in the area, and he's got a Masters degree whilst I've got an undergraduate degree, is it realistic to assume we could find something in the industry, or is it relatively-not-too-big?

2. In terms of transport, is it vital to have a car?

Thank you so much in advance, and please do not hesitate to ask should you need to know anything about London!

Amelie
A car is "standard issue" in the U.S. except, possibly, for New York City. It is going to be a new life for you. SD is one of the better, especially N. SD county or S. Orange County.

Cheerio (lived in Driffield E. Yorkshire as a child)

Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 AM

Haha. I love the idea of having a car. You don't really need one in London because of the tube and it is impossible to maintain anyway.

And Cheerio is very North England/Irish! lol. Hope you kept the lovely accent!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 AM

99 posts, read 317,490 times
Quote:

Rogdog - It's okay, I'm not opting for a career in radio/tv. In terms of taxes, I find it very difficult to believe it is going to be anywhere near the English standards. I mean, in the UK, for 40k a year you get taxed about 45% of your annual salary. And if it is oh-so-gloomy in San Diego, why exactly are you living there?
I make about 55 a year and pay through all forms of taxation, about 20.
I assume that's 40k GBP? It's a little more than what I make in USD. If as a foreigner you are subject to all the taxes we pay, your income tax would be a little more than mine, also depending on your marital status, housing status (rent/own) etc.

Sales tax is variable of course depending on what you spend but the rate is about 9.75% varies a little by city.

Don't forget all the little fees. My phone bill for instance on a line I rarely use but which comes bundled with my TV and internet so I keep it, is about 11 a month plus 8 in taxes. I believe that's a 72% tax. It wouldn't be 72% all the way up if I used that line but having it sit idle it's 72%.

Register a vehicle and be prepared for a flogging. My renewal on my truck in 2008 was $435 in 2009 it went up to $590. I opted to move it to our other home in another state and paid $88 for the transfer of ownership, plates, commercial status and 14 months of registration. That other state BTW has no deficit. California is broke. I forgot to tell California about that. They want 900 now with penalties and have a collection agency chasing me around. I'll be moving to that other state in August when I retire.

Why am I here? My family came to San Diego county in 1898. Though I was born in LA, I served in the Navy here, met a girl here, bought a house here, got out of the Navy and had a career here, lived three decades here, raised a family here. But, I can't stay here. It's home no more.

In regards to Spanish: 30 percent of our legal population is Hispanic. Many if not most of those folks speak both languages. 7 percent of our population is illegal and our fastest growing demogrgraphic. 38% per year. By 2015, Hispanics will be half of our population. First generation Hispanic immigrants, legal or not don't seem to bother with English. There's such a large Hispanic population here, they may not need it. And, frankly, they don't much care what the gringo thinks about it. Those first generation folks are working in all the service industries that you might patronize.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 PM

Hey Rogdog, I'm sorry to hear about you having to move away from California.

In terms of finance: I'd be lucky to pay 19 dollars for my Broadband/Landline monthly! Here, it's more like 30 quid (but then you've got cable tv or Virgin, which is another 50 quid a month, easily). Then (regardless to the sum already deducted from my monthly salary, which, as established, is around the 45%), I have council tax to pay (another 110 quid a month).

Everything in England is overpriced. An OK flat in a nice part of London (not Kensington, Notting Hill or anywhere fancy, just a safe, quiet part of town), 1 bed, would roughly cost you 1600 quid a month (excluding bills) and going upwards. Buying a house is out of the question, unless my parents are filthy rich, which they aren't. England is just a very, very depressing place for people who aren't extremely well off.

Also, I know that San Diego is the home of a lot of Hispenic migrants, but trust me, it is nothing in comparison to London. London is a lot more diverse than any US city I've ever visited (including L.A and even New York). None of my neighbours are English. Every 3rd Londoner is foreign-born. In terms of diversity and taxes, I reckon San Diego would be a piece of cake. I'm more worried about getting a job, to be fair!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM

99 posts, read 317,490 times
Quote:
Hey Rogdog, I'm sorry to hear about you having to move away from California.

In terms of finance: I'd be lucky to pay 19 dollars for my Broadband/Landline monthly! Here, it's more like 30 quid (but then you've got cable tv or Virgin, which is another 50 quid a month, easily). Then (regardless to the sum already deducted from my monthly salary, which, as established, is around the 45%), I have council tax to pay (another 110 quid a month).

Everything in England is overpriced. An OK flat in a nice part of London (not Kensington, Notting Hill or anywhere fancy, just a safe, quiet part of town), 1 bed, would roughly cost you 1600 quid a month (excluding bills) and going upwards. Buying a house is out of the question, unless my parents are filthy rich, which they aren't. England is just a very, very depressing place for people who aren't extremely well off.

Also, I know that San Diego is the home of a lot of Hispenic migrants, but trust me, it is nothing in comparison to London. London is a lot more diverse than any US city I've ever visited (including L.A and even New York). None of my neighbours are English. Every 3rd Londoner is foreign-born. In terms of diversity and taxes, I reckon San Diego would be a piece of cake. I'm more worried about getting a job, to be fair!
Yeah, the $19 was just the phone portion. The entire bill is more like 140. But not really important. I left you with the impression that I think San Diego is Hell on earth. It's not. It's a very nice city. Probably the most beautiful in the US. When you see it at night from the deck of an Aircraft carrier on return, it sure the heck is! My point was rather the taxation issue in the formerly great golden state.

I've been to London and yes, the overall cost of living is much more. The average wage is also much more. I still maintain that the total tax that you will pay on a middle class income here is probably equal to what you would pay on that same income in England. It's taken in different ways but added up and taken as a percentage of your gross income, probably within a few points. I'm not sure if a foreign citizen would pay all the same income related taxes though. FICA and Medicare for instance. A renter wouldn't see the property tax they pay, it's rolled into the rent but they pay it none the less. I'm very aware of what I pay on those taxes. If you do have the honor of paying FICA and Medicare and you freelance, you will have the honor of paying BOTH halves of those taxes. A little over 15% on every dollar you earn. Plus Federal income tax, plus state income tax, right on down the line. However I don't want to chase you away. I'd like you to come here, prosper and buy my house!

I'm leaving because of the cultural issue. If I wanted to live in a Latin culture, I'd stay. I don't so I must go. When I need a dose of that, I'll visit. For that matter, if I wanted to keep sitting in traffic, I'd stay. Where I'm going, if there's traffic it because there's a Moose standing in the road. If I wanted to keep giving the government over half of what I earn, I'd stay and keep working. But I like the money I have and want to keep it. So, the job must go. Without the job, there's no point in staying to watch California fail. Thirty years from now I'll just be a jar of ash sitting on my son's mantle. Between now and then, I'm going to goof off, fish and try to destroy my liver. You go ahead and enjoy SD. It was pretty good my first four decades. The change is what gets to me. You won't know the difference. It will be as you found it until it's not. Maybe that's why our species moves around so much.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:49 PM

239 posts, read 723,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdog View Post
I'm not sure if a foreign citizen would pay all the same income related taxes though. FICA and Medicare for instance.
Legal aliens pay exactly the same taxes citizens do, we just don't get to have a say how!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM

102 posts, read 293,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdog View Post
Those first generation folks are working in all the service industries that you might patronize.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to speak English to become a naturalized US citizen?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM

The salaries are not that much higher in England. Most graduates would be lucky and happy to settle into a 18-22k job (in London) and 14-16k jobs in the North East/West areas. People who wish to get into 'trendy' industries (PR, TV, productions etc) would be lucky if they get unpaid internships and will have to live on 12k-14k (in London) when they become permenant. 40k is what you'd expect an established accountant to earn annually.

A lot of people complain about the high population of Mexicans in San Diego - and as a future immigrant I can't really judge anyone who wishes to obtain their city's identity - but I'd just like to point out the the UK's generous (and stupid) benefit system means that asylum seekers knock on our doors in their thousands every month, and whilst I'm struggling to make ends meet, they are living like kings and queens:
Inquiry ordered over Afghan family living in £1.2 million 'council house' | Mail Online

Also, because we're a part of the EU, we've got loads of Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian and other Eastern European gangs on our streets...and their lack of ability to communicate in English is the least of our worries.

Frankly, a part of my frustration with the UK is the fact that it's really unfair, and especially to the ordinary folk, with the job and two kids and white fence. At least you don't have the constant feeling that other people are enjoying the fruits of your hard work, because this sort of system doesn't exist in America (to this extent, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego