Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 20,848 times

Advertisements

Quick background: Young (well, relatively speaking), single and looking to buy my first place. Lived in SD pretty much my entire life. I'm attracted to lofty, open spaces so downtown has been the main focus. Little Italy was/is probably my main focus and was recently in escrow on a place, but that's another story. Inventory in my price range is limited to say the least, so I'm looking to expand a bit.

Anyway, love the restaurant/bars in Park, Normal, and University, just never really considered living there until now. As everyone knows, these areas are very spotty and nice can turn to downtrodden very quickly.

Since I'm not really familiar with the residential area, I'd like to know the "nice" areas of each hood so I can focus my search. I'm aware the North of Adams is pretty desirable, but what else? Also love the Mission Hills and Bankers, but don't see myself having much luck finding something there.

Also, I have what could be considered a "nice" car. I've never had to worry about vehicle safety before. Should it be a concern in any of these areas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
University Heights: Most desirable area is north of Adams or west of Park Blvd.
Normal Heights: North of Adams
North Park: Immediately north of Balboa Park and Morley Field, North of Upas west of 30th and South of Upas east of 30th, Along Switzer Cyn.

In all of these areas the best blocks tend to be either along the canyon rims or adjacent to Balboa Park. As for vehicle break-ins, if you have a nice car you should have off-street parking, a garage is better. Vehicle crime is extremely common throughout central San Diego (including Little Italy). All the areas I mentioned are single-family home areas, not many apartments off the busy and somewhat ugly main streets (i.e 30th, Adams, Park blvd, etc). Personally if I was young and single I would stick to condos in downtown SD, Little Italy, or beaches. Most central SD residential areas are older homeowner / established / quieter

Last edited by NYSD1995; 06-20-2010 at 02:50 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 04:23 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
In my own opinion, the area of San Diego directly east of Balboa Park from the park to about Boundary Street between Upas and Ash Street is acceptable. This is not as desirable as the truly primo areas that Sassberto mentioned, but they are decent and more affordable, and you haven't actually mentioned a budget. You need to be careful about living on main thoroughfares like 30th Street, or being to close to the freeways. Also, every once in awhile the odd Huffman Hovel made its way into the area. You need to be on the look out for those. Another portion of North Park which is nice is north of Adams between Texas Street and I-805.

However, what the houses in these areas are not, are 'lofty' and 'open'. If you are not about preserving older architecture none of these neighborhoods which Sassberto and I have mentioned are for you. In these areas it is the older architecture which forms the desirable portion of the neighborhoods, and the better preserved the exterior and interior of the house is, the better it has held its value. If you buy one these homes and remodel and modernize it, you will depreciate the value of the house. If you restore it, you will increase its value. And we aren't talking 10 or 20 thousands of dollars. A bad modernization could devalue your property by a 100 thousand dollars.

If you want new, but can't afford Downtown or Little Italy, then you need to concentrate on the new Condominium projects that lie between University Avenue and El Cajon Boulevard. Don't buy a condo conversion that was originally built in the 1960s, or 70s, unless it's your only choice.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:53 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
However, what the houses in these areas are not, are 'lofty' and 'open'. If you are not about preserving older architecture none of these neighborhoods which Sassberto and I have mentioned are for you. In these areas it is the older architecture which forms the desirable portion of the neighborhoods, and the better preserved the exterior and interior of the house is, the better it has held its value. If you buy one these homes and remodel and modernize it, you will depreciate the value of the house. If you restore it, you will increase its value. And we aren't talking 10 or 20 thousands of dollars. A bad modernization could devalue your property by a 100 thousand dollars.

If you want new, but can't afford Downtown or Little Italy, then you need to concentrate on the new Condominium projects that lie between University Avenue and El Cajon Boulevard. Don't buy a condo conversion that was originally built in the 1960s, or 70s, unless it's your only choice.
kettlepot, brilliant post!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:33 PM

Happened to be in the area today, so I decided to check the residential areas around Normal and University Heights (pretty much all the areas Sassberto mentioned). Didn't make it in to North Park.

My quick takes:

University Heights - Above Adams and everything West of Park is great. Vibrant and yet still quiet. Seems like a nice place for a new couple or starting a family. Vaguely reminds me of small scale Mission Hills (similar vibe, but smaller area/houses). After doing a quick search on Redfin, this area is out of my price range.

Normal - above Adams was not quite what I thought it was. Still not quite "there" yet, at least for me. Price seems too high for what you get in that area.

I'm not going to rule these areas out, I just don't have too high hope of finding something that will fit my needs and more importantly, my budget. Still need to check out more of the North Park residential.

Conclusion: pretty much what I already thought. While these areas are pretty nice, I don't think they are for me. I think I'll still keep my main focus on Little Italy and East Village. I can always keep visiting Park/Normal/University for my drinking/eating/general debauchery. When I have the money or move to that next stage in my life, hopefully I'll have enough $$$ for Mission Hills. If not, I've got some great backup hoods to choose from.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:50 PM

What Kettlepot mentioned in regards to modernization is one of my concerns. I do believe if done correctly, a property can be "modernized" while still retaining original "charm." It's and fine, delicate line, but I personally believe it's doable.

I have been looking for a 2/2 in downtown. It's on the edge of my pricepoint, but still possible. As I mentioned, I was in escrow on a property in Little Italy which I withdrew from due to concerns I had with the building. I am thinking about adding true lofts to my search, but I'm also concerned with future resale value. With a loft I also won't option of having a roomate either. Aesthetically they are my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego