Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:34 AM

55 posts, read 158,376 times

Advertisements

My apologies if this has already been asked, however, I too am considering to move to San Diego from L.A. Lived in L.A for almost 10 years since moving from Texas-my home. I never cared much for L.A. since it's a bit too fast and too big for me. I like smaller areas, suburban, family-oriented with a smaller town feel or mid-size city feel.

Option A:

I would prefer to pay $800 for a 1 Bedroom. Does this exist? ANYWHERE in San Diego or surrounding cities? Or, will I have to settle for paying 1,000 for a 1 bedroom?

Option B:

Renting a single for LESS THAN $800..Does this exist?

OPTION C: ROOMMATE BUT PREFER NOT TO

Need an area for singles 30s-40s, safe, clean, malls, cafes, people, social, dog walking, etc.

Thank you to all who reply to this probably redundant question. However, I do appreciate your time as this will REALLY help me make the best decision for my next big life move.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 AM

387 posts, read 2,131,051 times
North Park, City Heights, Barrio Logan... You could totally find rentals in your price range!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 AM

Thank you. I'll research the areas. Anything helps.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:26 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
City Heights would be a location for rents lower than $800.

If you want to upgrade from City Heights, Normal Heights and North Park will have some 1 bedrooms in the $800/month range. Some better neighborhoods will also have $800 apartments in their dumpiest sections (University Heights, Hillcrest, Mission Hills, Kensington - Overlooking a freeway really reduces the rent). Just so you know, these low cost apartments were typically built in the 1950s through the 1970s. They won't have A/C, may or may not have a laundry room on site, and may or may not have a parking space for you. They were built as cheap housing, and they are still priced that way. On the plus side, North Park is an up and coming neighborhood, and Normal Heights while not up and coming, is stable and does have its charms. City Heights - only if you must.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
I'm in North park, I pay $825 for a one-bedroom cottage, built in the 1920's (wood floors, nice deco details, plaster walls, very nice!), with laundry on-site.

There's places like mine all over the neighborhood. You should be fine

Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I'm in North park, I pay $825 for a one-bedroom cottage, built in the 1920's (wood floors, nice deco details, plaster walls, very nice!), with laundry on-site.

There's places like mine all over the neighborhood. You should be fine
Wow! That sounds like a bargain. Not a huge bargain, but probably 10% lower than the current market clearing rate for one these old cottages. I think your landlord likes you as a tenant, and wants you to stay.

If you want charm on a budget, these California Bungalow Courts are the way to go. If your neighbors are good, these are great places to live.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Wow! That sounds like a bargain. Not a huge bargain, but probably 10% lower than the current market clearing rate for one these old cottages. I think your landlord likes you as a tenant, and wants you to stay.

If you want charm on a budget, these California Bungalow Courts are the way to go. If your neighbors are good, these are great places to live.
My neighbors are fantastic. I'm a lucky duck.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
As Jenkay said, there are some good deals in the North Park area and some are in older neighborhoods that aren't too bad. Neighbors tend to be quite friendly and nice in that part of town too.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
As Jenkay said, there are some good deals in the North Park area and some are in older neighborhoods that aren't too bad. Neighbors tend to be quite friendly and nice in that part of town too.
The key, really, is to try to avoid blocks that are almost completely lined with the larger, ugly, nondescript, and cheap complexes that were built in the 80s. There's plenty of areas that are a good mix of smaller older courtyard/4-in-a-row one-story complexes, smaller 2-story places built in the 50's and 60's (usually not more than 8 apartments) and single-family homes.

I think it's a combination of higher density/ less pride/aesthetics (people who like the older places tend to be renting them because they *like* them, not just because they're there) and cheapness that makes the "avoid-y" areas less desirable. The bigger, cheaper complexes also often have more section 8, which unfortunately can (not always, but it's a concern) mean less desirable neighbors.

North Park and Normal Heights can be very block-by-block different in terms of how nice/neighborly/friendly/safe the area is, but it's fairly easy to tell what's what by simply surveying the block you're looking at

Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Default Thanks to Jenkay and Kettlepot and all who replied

This information is wonderful thank you all so much. I'll start looking at North Park and see what's around.

So has anybody been to Long Beach? If you have are familiar with some areas like Belmont Shore? Los Alamitos? Areas near Cherry and Broad? These neighborhoods are nice. Anyone suggest comparable areas that are like the nicer areas of Long Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego