Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 03:54 AM

3 posts, read 24,678 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I will be moving to the San Diego area in the Fall to attend SDSU master's programs. We're moving from Washington state and visited the area briefly to check out some apartments. After narrowing down our search (eliminated El Cajon because of apartment location and Fashion Valley because of the extremely high rental price), we now need to decide on living in the College Area or La Mesa.

I've read a bit on these forums about the areas. College Area seems like it is sketchy because of the crime activity created by the overwhelming number of undergrads. The apartment we are looking at in the area is located on Rolando (practically on El Cajon Blvd) and about 3/4 mile from campus. We'd be renting from a private owner. The building itself is gated and secure, but the surrounding complexes and buildings seem somewhat slimy. We took a drive tonight and saw a hooker about a block down from the cul de sac we'd be living in. The owner suggested we live within the boundaries of College Ave/El Cajon/Montezuma/70th if attending SDSU. He also suggested that, though we are within walking distance, a bicycle to get to campus would be our safest bet.

The property in La Mesa is located on Parkway Drive, just north of Fletcher and I-8. The complex is from a rental company who seems to have gotten okay reviews at best. The road leading to the apartment is not lit well and the complex itself has none of the security that the other apartment offers. I've read that La Mesa is a relatively safe neighborhood, but have also heard it is in steady decline because of the now somewhat shadier demographic of renters. Online reviews have also talked of break-ins within the complex, namely on the first floor (which is where the available apartments are located).

Security is my main issue as my girlfriend will need to get to and from campus in the evening. We're both torn on what to do. Should we opt for the more secure apartment building in a sleazier area (College Area) or for the less secure complex in the somewhat safer area (La Mesa)? Prices for both apartments are comparable. I've read up on the info myself, but I'm still having trouble deciding which is better/safer. Crime is a problem everywhere, but we need to stay in budget. Unfortunately, this was the only time we were able to visit the area to look for prospective places. It would have been much more helpful to visit while most of the student body was here, but we don't have that luxury.

Anyone have suggestions? It would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 AM

9,523 posts, read 30,373,968 times
Pick the La Mesa apartment. If you are talking about Rolando Courts apartments, they are totally ghetto.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,534,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Pick the La Mesa apartment. If you are talking about Rolando Courts apartments, they are totally ghetto.
Sass...
I no longer see a Moderator tag. Did you quit?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:01 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,373,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Sass...
I no longer see a Moderator tag. Did you quit?
Yes, I resigned. Between the job and 2-year old I just don't have the time anymore. I'm just a regular citizen now

Old 07-10-2010, 07:51 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,534,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Yes, I resigned. Between the job and 2-year old I just don't have the time anymore. I'm just a regular citizen now
Too bad. You did a good job. So who is the current moderator?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:48 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,747,805 times
I also would opt for La Mesa, some of the apartments of Baltimore are pretty nice, though old, they have been taken care of from what I can tell. La Mesa has seen an increase in crime in the last few years, it seems like every other day, there is something happening, from robberies, car break ins, stolen vehicles, and just other random crimes. Nothing serious though like homicides, but still, it's changed in certain area's, and in other spots it's like it's never aged a bit. But generally it's a completely safe place to live, more like the home of old people.

I never thought of La Mesa being ghetto years ago, but now it's starting to become that way, especially over on University near Helix High. Some of the homes on the hills are really nice though, but overall it's just whatever.

This happened last night

Woman robbed in La Mesa, two arrested - SignOnSanDiego.com

I just remembered, there was a murder in this one apartment complex I think it was the "Roman Villa's" near the border of La Mesa and Rolando on El Cajon Blvd a couple weeks ago. I don't know the cause, but it was probably a drug deal gone bad like always.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:03 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,159,435 times
I lived in la mesa 20 years ago and loved it. There is an apartment complex right near the trolly system, 2 minute walk, very well managed, a bit expensive now, but very good location. I used to take the trolley to work back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego