Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times

Advertisements

Im a 25 single female moving to sd and i have no idea where to start. i graduated college a year and a half ago and took that time to travel and relax, now im ready to finally get started in the "real world" my best friend is out there and ill be staying with her for about a month or so to get situated but i have a few questions:

1. how much money is really needed to survive? without a job for about a month or so and be able to put the deposit down on a 2 bedroom ( a friend is moving with me later on from SF)
2. is it hard to get bartending jobs?, i want to start there to get the initial cash flow
3. how the hell do you get your stuff out there. i don't want to drive bc i know id end up spending way too much money and making a trip out of it. i have maybe a studio apt worth of belongings. i can't find a company that will ship my car and stuff or let me put more than 100lbs in the truck. *this is my biggest stress

ANY TIPS WOULD BE HELPFUL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
I moved from Boston to SD back in June shortly after graduating college, so I guess I can help

1. I'm not sure, it would probably depend on where you live. I'm sure that in central SD it wouldn't be too difficult. If not there are lots of jobs available if you need cash.

2. For a 2 bedroom it's going to depend on where you live. You'll need around a months rent in order to put the deposit down. It would be pretty helpful if you gave a better idea of where you were planning on living and what your price range is.

3. The towing company I used was mildly sketchy and it cost about 800 bucks to ship my car out, and they let me put about 50 lbs worth of stuff in the back. If you have any furniture, ditch it. It's going to be expensive to move anything large with you and you can probably get replacement stuff of Craigslist to hold you over. Everything else I just packed in suit cases and flew over with. I had my parents ship my books/CDs/DVDs via media mail and anything else I didn't feel was vital via USPS.

This site was pretty good when I was looking for a company to move my car: Transport Reviews.com - Comprehensive Auto Moving Industry Information Including Customer Ratings & Reviews.

If you have any other questions feel free to hit me since I've been there before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego