Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 AM

39 posts, read 163,945 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm new to SD, and I recently moved into the southern part of Banker's Hill, about 3-4 blocks from the 5 both west and south. The price was good, the apartment was really nice, and during the day the neighborhood looked pretty good. I was getting somewhat desperate to find housing and I'm only out here for six months, so I went for it. There were plenty of people walking/riding bikes, it had a nice view, and it seemed like a decent place to live.

I moved in last night, but already I've seen quite a few homeless people wandering around the neighborhood. I think it's mostly overflow from the downtown areas. The building I live in seems pretty safe, but I'm mostly worried about my car since it's very new and there's only street parking available.

So, mostly I'm asking if there's a lot of crime in this area? Is my car safe on the street all night? Should I invest in a wheel-lock (ie The Club) or something similar?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,569,720 times
Very safe... but get and use a 'club.' Nice cars on city streets are prime targets.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,396,319 times
There is a homeless/rescue mission just to the north of you, north of the 5 "S" curve, so there will be many homeless transients making their way in the area around your building. I would put San Diego's homeless more in the category of being bums than thieves.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:56 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
It's pretty safe overall but there a lot of homeless in the area and a lot of really shabby apartments too - tends to attract tweakers. Definitely watch out for your car more than your person.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
I live downtown and the homeless folks are well known to anyone familiar with the area. Homeless yes, thieves, not sold on.

I think car thieves are car thieves, not homeless car thieves. The homeless for the most part just tweakers or minding their own business as other posters have said already.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
It's safe enough but the homeless shelter does mean there are bums around. That said San Diego bums seldom do more then simply ask you for change. The crime rate is quite low. There rarely is even aggressive pan handling as it is against the law and the bums who do it quickly find themselves in jail or chased out of town. Pan handling mostly takes the form of holding a sign while standing on the street corner.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the responses guys! The bums where I come from usually hang around the parts of town you don't want to be in. I wouldn't say that they're thieves, but rather that the criminals tend to follow close behind. I talked with a few of my neighbors, and they're mostly friendly young professionals. I bought a brake lock just to be safe, but I feel much better about the area now.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I live downtown and the homeless folks are well known to anyone familiar with the area. Homeless yes, thieves, not sold on.

I think car thieves are car thieves, not homeless car thieves. The homeless for the most part just tweakers or minding their own business as other posters have said already.

I've lived in Bankers Hill for over a year, parked on the street, left the car on the street for weeks while I was traveling, and have never had a break-in. The only time I've ever had a car theft incident was when I was in the Gaslamp.

Banker's Hill is overall pretty safe and there are some really nice areas near 5th and Laurel. A lot of pretty, older Victorian and New England style homes. But there are a few sketchy houses here and there.

Caveat: I do avoid the the area on 2nd between Cedar and Hawthorne. As a previous poster mentioned, that's where the rescue mission is and it's a rough crowd. A lot of girls at the law school get harassed walking to and from if they take 2nd down that stretch.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I've lived in Bankers Hill for over a year, parked on the street, left the car on the street for weeks while I was traveling, and have never had a break-in. The only time I've ever had a car theft incident was when I was in the Gaslamp.

Banker's Hill is overall pretty safe and there are some really nice areas near 5th and Laurel. A lot of pretty, older Victorian and New England style homes. But there are a few sketchy houses here and there.

Caveat: I do avoid the the area on 2nd between Cedar and Hawthorne. As a previous poster mentioned, that's where the rescue mission is and it's a rough crowd. A lot of girls at the law school get harassed walking to and from if they take 2nd down that stretch.
Which part of Banker's Hill did you live in? I'm only a few blocks from Little Italy, but the nothern part seems really nice.

Also, in Gaslamp did someone break into your car or did they actually steal it?

Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,378 times
this is a website I have been using, you can get crime stats and map your area. On paper, Banker's Hill looks pretty safe to me.
San Diego Regional Crime MAPS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: