U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 994 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm looking to move out of Las Vegas. I went on vacation with my 5 yr old daughter to Legoland and found the area absolutely beautiful. I hadn't realized that I missed the water so much. I'm originally from Philadelphia, PA. I now have an opportunity to move out of Las Vegas and I'm considering moving down by the beach! I've gone thru the different post on this site and I see that there is gang activity in Carlsbad. I've also checked the sex offenders list for that city and my goodness is the beach area safe all? There are a lot of red and white dots down there. At the same time I have been reading what a great place Carlsbad is to live in with children. And how great the schools are which is a big plus because the school system in Vegas really sucks. I kind of feel like there are a lot of conflicting posts on here and would like to know what Carlsbad is really like. I'm a single parent with a soon to be 6 yr old daughter and one of the reason I won't go back to Philly is because I feel it is just not a safe place for my child to grow up. Can anyone help clear up at least some of my confusion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,486,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyB View Post
Hello everyone. I'm looking to move out of Las Vegas. I went on vacation with my 5 yr old daughter to Legoland and found the area absolutely beautiful. I hadn't realized that I missed the water so much. I'm originally from Philadelphia, PA. I now have an opportunity to move out of Las Vegas and I'm considering moving down by the beach! I've gone thru the different post on this site and I see that there is gang activity in Carlsbad. I've also checked the sex offenders list for that city and my goodness is the beach area safe all? There are a lot of red and white dots down there. At the same time I have been reading what a great place Carlsbad is to live in with children. And how great the schools are which is a big plus because the school system in Vegas really sucks. I kind of feel like there are a lot of conflicting posts on here and would like to know what Carlsbad is really like. I'm a single parent with a soon to be 6 yr old daughter and one of the reason I won't go back to Philly is because I feel it is just not a safe place for my child to grow up. Can anyone help clear up at least some of my confusion?
There are conflicting reports on most all topics on the this board. That's just the nature of an internet message board. You have people who are barely making it in San Diego or moved here for one reason or another, then you have people who earn enough to live comfortably or grew up here, or people in between, so the opinions here are mixed. You just take it all with a grain of salt, and in some cases, a whole shaker of salt.
That said, Carlsbad generally is safe. There are some "barrio" areas of the town, and yes there are some documented gangs in the area, but it's all in relative terms. Nothing in Carlsbad approaches sketchy areas of bigger cities. The best thing you can do is visit the area, a lot if if you can, and decide what suits you. Carlsbad is a big city, spread out wide, so there are lots of diverse areas to choose from (the beach, La Costa, Aviara, etc.) Good luck on your move.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,501 times
Default Carlsbad

My Daughter lives in Carlsbad and goes to school there. The school is good and there is very little gang activity (if any). As for sex offenders non of my daughters friends have ever had an problems. The water and the flowers make the place beautiful. I wouldn't recommend living near the ocean or batiquitos lagoon because it tends to be cloudy and colder in those areas. Good luck on your move.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:23 PM

364 posts, read 938,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyB View Post
As someone who used to live in Las Vegas, I can relate. Out of Philly and Las Vegas, I would much rather raise my kid in Philly. At least she would get some culture, which doesn't exist in Las Vegas. And you are absolutely right, the school system in Clark County sucks.

My advice, though, is to check it out again. One of the reasons why so many people move to Las Vegas is that they had a great time while on vacation. Then they moved there only to discover what a pit the city really is (I moved there because of a job offer but I was so glad to move back to SoCal when my position was eliminated during the economic downturn of '08).

I say check it out, research the schools and then weigh comments on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego