U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 PM

17 posts, read 76,248 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are late 40’s, early 50's--no kids & not much money. We’d like to move from the winter-like summers of San Francisco to a warmer climate & would really appreciate some resident’s views on San Diego neighborhoods or perhaps even it’s surrounding areas. Sacramento was a thought but we feel it’s too slow-paced for our tastes. We both like the desert or at least a drier climate but I’m not sure we’d be entirely happy being too far inland.

We like a relatively quiet neighborhood, but as city people, also like being close to some kind of ‘hub’, where there are a few shops, cafes, maybe some fresh produce and the sidewalks don’t completely roll up after 6. I’m a graphic designer/lab tech and my husband’s into body-building. A gym close by would be nice but he rides his bike everywhere even in this hilly city so that’s not too big an issue.

A bungalow or cottage in an older neighborhood for not more than $1,000/mo would be ideal, but anything with a little history would be great--layers of peeling paint doesn’t bother me as long as there’s some character and it’s safe. We don’t mind kids but prefer not to end up being in an area that caters more to young families.

Of course we can’t expect every one of our desires to be met but I’m an optimist!

Kensington, Normal Heights, North and South Park all sound good but wondering which might be more of what we’re looking for or if there are other areas I may have missed.

Thanks so much for any input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,899,149 times
"A bungalow or cottage in an older neighborhood for not more than $1,000/mo would be ideal"

Good luck with that.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM

2,970 posts, read 4,588,477 times
Couple of things. First of all, you won’t find anything in that price range in urban San Diego, in particular the neighborhoods you’re mentioning. Second of all, while coastal San Diego is warmer than coastal San Francisco, those neighborhoods are far from an inland climate. It’s been quiet overcast with marine layer for much of the summer this year (and only hovering the high 60s, which is unusual), while farther inland, it’s been sunny and warm (as is happening in the Bay Area too). If you mentioned the dry heat of Sacramento as a preference, then these parts of San Diego are not where you want to be – I’d look farther inland. Third, if you’re looking for warmer summers with access to city life, then why not just stay in the Bay Area and move somewhere farther inland, so that you can still go to San Francisco? Or is that also a financial issue since the Bay Area is more expensive? I hear it’s been an absolutely gorgeous summer inland. With that in mind, if you do want to move to San Diego on this budget looking for a cottage, I might suggest La Mesa. It’s a pretty suburban city, but there is a small, slightly sleepy downtown with some nice older neighborhoods full of cool homes, and it’s both cheaper and sunnier/hotter than coastal / bayside areas of SD. You will get that funky neighborhood feel, and there is at least an element of being a hidden gem of a city. There is a farmer’s market, independent restaurants, etc., but also solid suburban infrastructure, and trolley access to downtown.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM

14,900 posts, read 30,018,674 times
In North Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, and Golden Hill, one bedroom cottages can be found for under $1,000. Forget Kensington, you may possibly find something in South Park, but you'll have to go look for it on foot. I do have a friend that lives in South Park that pays $700 for her one bedroom cottage, though.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
"A bungalow or cottage in an older neighborhood for not more than $1,000/mo would be ideal"

Good luck with that.
Oerdin! ["...would be ideal"] I appreciate your response but why bother?
It sounds like you could use a cheaper rent!

Last edited by MunchWife; 07-26-2010 at 12:35 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 PM

tstieber: Wow, lots to think about! Thanks for the re-direct regarding the weather. I did read something here about Gray May & June Gloom and decided that wouldn't bother me much as it is nice to get a break from the heat too, but if this is a sign of a more permanently changed condition it's definitely something to take into consideration with the weather's instability the world over. And, as much as we love desert, somewhere like Palm Springs (though I have loved vacationing there) might be too much change to get used to.

Not leaving the Bay Area has been a consideration but the Bay Bridge isn't worth having to drive over -- frankly I hate it! Completely uprooting and finding a new job appeals to us. Thanks for your suggestion of looking into La Mesa, I will absolutely do that.

moved: Thank you, I knew they must be out there! I saw this thread here which isn't that old and why I had some hope:
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ntals-san.html

Now I have a few more possibilities to explore, much appreciated. If anyone needs info on moving to Vancouver in Canada (there's also one in Washington State) I would be happy to advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>