Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times

Advertisements

I've heard the Solana Beach Farmer's Market is good because it's mostly fruits and veggies. Can anyone verify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
There are many farmer's markets around San Diego but (with the exception of Hillcrest and Ocean Beach) many are a little bit too light on the farmers and heavy on the trinkets as Skeke said. You can certainly get what you need for fruits and veggies at them, but I agree that many are not worth a special trip. We recently went to both Liberty Station's and Normal Heights' farmers market and were decidedly underwhelmed. There is definitely more of a focus on selling coffee and prepared food, which I think makes sense given the clientele.

There are places like Henry's, Windmill Farms, North Park Produce and Specialty Produce that have the same / better stuff and are a lot more convenient. Another very nice option is to buy a CSA share or split one with a friend.
Mission Hills is a new one on Friday. Smaller but everything from veges/fruits to eggs to baked bread w/o trinkets. Hope it continues...

Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 PM

126 posts, read 344,212 times
Little Italy has a great one on the weekend. That is right in the down town area, very cool place to live too if you can afford it.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAH View Post
Little Italy has a great one on the weekend. That is right in the down town area, very cool place to live too if you can afford it.
Little Italy Farmers Market is also offering 2 hours of free parking at Washington Elementary. Makes a HUGE difference.

For fresh veggies, Hillcrest (Sunday) Escondido (Tuesday) Ocean Beach (Wednesday) and Little Italy (Saturday) are probably the best. The Adams (Wednesday) and North Park (Thursday) markets are pretty good- North Park in particular has improved greatly over the past 6 months.

I wouldn't bother with the Mission Valley or Liberty station markets at all.

There's a new one in Mission Hills which I haven't been to yet.

Stuff to know:

Hillcrest *can* be a pain to park at. The best thing to do is just look for parking starting on University and work your way farther away- you can usually find something within a few blocks, but circling around the market trying to find something *really close* is frustrating.
I've also had MUCH better luck with parking if I wait until after 12:30 or so to get there.

The othersI mentioned usually have no problem parking- with the possible exception of Ocean Beach- I haven't been to that one in a long while.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 12,050 times
The Little Italy Mercato "Farmers Market" is awesome. Everything from organic meats to the freshest veggies and fruits. Poppa's has some really good seafood including live uni.

They do have a trinket area and they have prepared foods throughout the market as well.

It is by far my favorite farmers market in town. Other good markets are the Ocean Beach and Hillcrest markets. The Hillcrest market is not very convenient and too many trinket vendors.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:03 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka69 View Post
The Little Italy Mercato "Farmers Market" is awesome. Everything from organic meats to the freshest veggies and fruits. Poppa's has some really good seafood including live uni.

They do have a trinket area and they have prepared foods throughout the market as well.

It is by far my favorite farmers market in town. Other good markets are the Ocean Beach and Hillcrest markets. The Hillcrest market is not very convenient and too many trinket vendors.
Just for perspective, I only think there's "too many trinket vendors" when they either outnumber the produce/food folks, or there's just not enough of the fresh food and the space that the trinket vendors are occupying could be better used.

Hillcrest has a *ton* of fresh produce, with lots of variety. If they want to keep adding trinket vendors, so be it, so long as they don't cut back on the good stuff.. Plus, while they *do* have a few of the same trinket vendors as the other markets/street fairs (hippie skirts- does anyone actually buy those?), they also have some that are unique to that location- the guy who makes the little wire sculptures, for example, and the guy who makes the hanging glass vases. Point is, I think that particular market has a good balance.

A couple of markets that could use more produce and less "things", IMO, are North Park and Adams Avenue.

P.S. The lady that sells vintage cowboy boots/shoes/Westernwear on the sidewalk facing the DMV (at Hillcrest) is AWESOME.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkay View Post
just for perspective, i only think there's "too many trinket vendors" when they either outnumber the produce/food folks, or there's just not enough of the fresh food and the space that the trinket vendors are occupying could be better used.

Hillcrest has a *ton* of fresh produce, with lots of variety. If they want to keep adding trinket vendors, so be it, so long as they don't cut back on the good stuff.. Plus, while they *do* have a few of the same trinket vendors as the other markets/street fairs (hippie skirts- does anyone actually buy those?), they also have some that are unique to that location- the guy who makes the little wire sculptures, for example, and the guy who makes the hanging glass vases. Point is, i think that particular market has a good balance.

A couple of markets that could use more produce and less "things", imo, are north park and adams avenue.

P.s. The lady that sells vintage cowboy boots/shoes/westernwear on the sidewalk facing the dmv (at hillcrest) is awesome.
+1

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM

35 posts, read 85,560 times
Went to the Solana Beach one today. Was very impressed with the range of fruit and veggies, really friendly store owners often manned by folks from the farms where the stuff is picked. All had tasters so you could try before buying.

We only arrived in SD this week from South Africa so cant compare this market to the others but we'll be back next Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego