Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 PM

70 posts, read 178,176 times

Advertisements

How about the parking situation in Mission hills or North Park? Why is parking so hard in Hillcrest do thry have alternate side parking or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexSteel View Post
How about the parking situation in Mission hills or North Park? Why is parking so hard in Hillcrest do thry have alternate side parking or something?
I can't speak to Mission Hills, but:

When I lived near 3rd & Pennsylvania (in Hillcrest) the parking was nightmarish during the day, then in the evenings it was fine. I was on the first or second block in that wasn't metered, so all the people from the businesses would park on the residential streets.

Now that I'm in North Park near 30th & Adams, there's parking galore during the day, but it fills up *fast* after 6 with people coming home after work. I can always park within 1/2 or 3/4 of a block from my place, though, unless I'm out at night and get back late.

You learn to parallel park real quick in either neighborhood, that's for sure

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I live on Wilson, behind North Park Produce, and the parking is horrible. Even during the day, parking is bad, due to the amount of people shopping at NPP. When both of their lots are filled, shoppers take up all the street parking. Starting around 5, whatever parking there is fills up fast. It's so bad that when I come in at night, I have park either on Wilson Avenue by PepBoys or by US Bank across from the Chevron Station on 36th Street.

My priority when I start working full time again is to move to a larger place that has parking.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
The parking SUCKS. I know people that are moving based on this alone. They cannot park anywhere near their place during the week for more than a couple hours or they get a ticket. It's also on a mesa so unless you are a strong cyclist forget about riding to the beach, Mission Valley or downtown. It's kind of hippy but car centric.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 AM

713 posts, read 1,957,661 times
Hillcrest is gay. I just don't find it fun when you go down to pick something up a guy says to me, "nice butt" and winks at me.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Hillcrest is gay. I just don't find it fun when you go down to pick something up a guy says to me, "nice butt" and winks at me.
Really? Yeah, like that ever really happens. Maybe in your dreams.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
I was going through this thread wondering how many posts it would take for someone to give up the PC BS and mention the blatantly obvious; it's the center of gay culture and living in SD. If you were to ask someone about Hillcrest in a bar, that would probably be the first thing mentioned. People on this forum will describe every attribute of a neighborhood in excruciating detail except one thing; if it's gay. They will bring up if the area is left or right, working class or liberal, has bums, has too many yuppies, has lots of families, has crime, and so on. But if the area is gay, it's treated like a secret unless the OP states he or she is gay. I see the same tendency in the Seattle forums. Everyone insists "it's no big deal, they weren't being PC." As if all of the other things they describe about a neighborhood are a big deal...

Hillcrest is a very neat neighborhood. It has a good vibe and neat little restaurants. But yes, it is also very gay. That may or may not be a concern to the OP. Heck, I know gay people who say they don't want to live in a gay area. An area being gay should be treated the same as any other attribute of an area that usually gets mentioned. It's not gay bashing to mention it any more than mentioning an area has a bunch of yuppies is "yuppie bashing".

But I know, everyone will insist they weren't being PC.... yeah right.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
\
But I know, everyone will insist they weren't being PC.... yeah right.
So which part of Hillcrest do you live in? We just last week moved to a house, but lived 2 blocks from University, in Hillcrest, til then. In our condo complex, there were 8 units. Only one was occupied by a gay guy, the rest were married couples, many with kids. Our neighbors? All straight couples, many with kids. Our entire street had maybe 2 gay couples on it, so you are so wrong in your assumption. We lived there for over a year and would have never gotten that vibe from living in Hillcrest and walking around the neighborhood (vs. going out to bars in the area). Until you live there, don't spew nonsense. You'd be shocked to see the number of young, straight couples with babies, that seemed to be 80% of our neighbors.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM

San Diego in general is a great city. I lived there for 5 years. Definitely one of the best places we have lived. I don't think you can go wrong moving there. The only reason it's not on my list of final destinations is because my wife and I need to see more green...as in forests, wilderness, etc. I just can't get into the semi-desert look of SoCal. If you don't care about those things, come on down. It really is a nice place to live. And there is a neighborhood to fit just about anything you might be into; be it gay, party scene, family, etc.

Last edited by CarawayDJ; 01-17-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
So which part of Hillcrest do you live in? We just last week moved to a house, but lived 2 blocks from University, in Hillcrest, til then. In our condo complex, there were 8 units. Only one was occupied by a gay guy, the rest were married couples, many with kids. Our neighbors? All straight couples, many with kids. Our entire street had maybe 2 gay couples on it, so you are so wrong in your assumption. We lived there for over a year and would have never gotten that vibe from living in Hillcrest and walking around the neighborhood (vs. going out to bars in the area). Until you live there, don't spew nonsense. You'd be shocked to see the number of young, straight couples with babies, that seemed to be 80% of our neighbors.
Don't try to argue the obvious. I din't say it's 100% gay. I said it's the center of gay culture and living in SD. That it is. If you are trying to deny that you are living on another planet. Again, it's not gay bashing to point out such a thing. It's an attribute of the area and deserves to be mentioned much like every other attribute that gets mentioned.

Here are a few links:

Hillcrest, San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gay Pride Parade, Hillcrest, San Diego, California | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hanneorla/74546987/ - broken link)

http://sandiego.gaycities.com/bars/nid/4001/

So what were you saying again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego