Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
South Park used to be really ghetto, lot's of poor families and gang bangers. Now it's a nice place to live, and the majority of all the poor minority families have been pushed out through the increase in the housing prices in the neighborhood.

This has had an effect on the area's diversity, as well as the kind of businesses that have opened up recently. I don't like snobs either, trying change things up to fit their uppity criteria. I don't mind hipsters as much, but I really dislike yuppies moving in and completely ruining the old cool vibe of an neighborhood like South Park because they want to make it all fancy and stiff, these people attract Starbucks and all the corporate crap that eats away the unique originality of certain urban hoods. I also can't stand lame boutique stores, pet places, and stupid desert shops, I don't know, but they all seem so annoying. More bars and less hip and expensive restaurants would be better for South Park. How about some down South BBQ joints that serve up some good BBQ? Real food places is needed, enough with the high end, half a plate gourmet eateries that are usually sub par and cost a fortune. I am tired of restaurants selling it's "Atmosphere" to attract people, while not caring about the quality of the food.

I don't even think Hillcrest is all that, it's loaded with corporate chain places, especially on Uni Ave. Nothing original about it. It's ok, but nothing spectacular.

Normal Heights is the last hidden gem in Mid City, it's not as sleepy as South Park, and has more businesses to shop, and eat at.
Gentrification is a sometimes messy and imperfect process to be sure, sometimes bringing with it the very characteristics to a neighborhood one is trying to avoid and escape, South Park is no exception. It does have however, organized community groups which oversee as much as we can, and the Golden Hill Planned Development Ordinance helps. Unfortunately we can't choose all the businesses we want in our areas, (I've been discussing BBQ with the neighbors for years haha) but SP does have a very anti-chain vibe which helps.

No neighborhood is perfect that's for sure, it is nice to see nearly all of the inner ring urban neighborhoods in San Diego changing mostly for the better; albeit with spurts of bad decisions and developments which unfortunately come with the territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Gentrification is a sometimes messy and imperfect process to be sure, sometimes bringing with it the very characteristics to a neighborhood one is trying to avoid and escape, South Park is no exception. It does have however, organized community groups which oversee as much as we can, and the Golden Hill Planned Development Ordinance helps. Unfortunately we can't choose all the businesses we want in our areas, (I've been discussing BBQ with the neighbors for years haha) but SP does have a very anti-chain vibe which helps.

No neighborhood is perfect that's for sure, it is nice to see nearly all of the inner ring urban neighborhoods in San Diego changing mostly for the better; albeit with spurts of bad decisions and developments which unfortunately come with the territory.

Well said T_Damon! Are you a member of one of these community groups?

I agree, change is a difficult subject when it comes to community members. Ultimately it comes down to solid planning and the ability to make the right decisions when needed when the opportunities present themselves. On that end of it, I think its difficult for many to truly understand that aspect of it. Town integrity vs easy profit. Its pretty easy to pick a part what you dont want rather than the other way around.
I cant think of any small business person that is willing to take out a massive loan in their community just to open a business just for the sake of integrity. The reason is, you wont see them because folks are not going to pony up cash for a product they will not need or want...plain and simple.

Take a look at the incredible failure at Market Place Plaza where Magnolia's was. Now that is a prime example of a nice start to something that went south fast. There are many parties to pass blame on but the platform for success was there and unfortunately the products available appeared to be subpar thus weak demand. The rent has to be paid and no new business owner would touch that place because of the past failures of the other businesses.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
We just need property owners to stop being so damn greedy. If you look at the new commercial strip in Santee off Mission Gorge, it's all big chain businesses with zero small businesses.

How are we supposed to attract small businesses if lease prices are out of range for the small guy? This is key to keeping good quality tenants long term. But the temptation of money is hard to deny if you own a building in a prime location, especially if your being approached by a developer, or a large corporate chain business that doesn't mind paying a premium. All this does is water everything down in the community.

You also have to blame investors, and commercial real estate people that own many commercial property strips around the city for high rents.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,464 times
I've lived in SD County for 41 of the last 48 years, and never even heard the name South Park until a few years ago.

I'm thinking 20 years ago most people wouldn't go near the area unless going to Balboa Park. I remember driving in that area with a date about that time and both of us remarking how bad an area it was. We didn't know it was called South Park and would someday be trendy.

Not too long ago North Park was an area to be avoided too.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,197 times
When I moved away from San Diego in 1996 South Park was still Golden Hill. Some time after I left, they began calling the northern part of Golden Hill South Park. That seems to be when the gentrification was hitting big time. The Big Kitchen used to be in Golden Hill. Now it's in South Park. I saw the gentrification changes coming while I still lived here. Now I am back and the changes are substantial. South Park definitely has its own identity now.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
my brother's mom lives in Burlingame, that neighborhood has really always been pretty nice at since I moved here in 1995. We used to go to the Sombreros in South Park all the time. There are still quite a few funky houses in South Park, even on the nicer blocks. Most of the blocks north of there are / were pretty nice too. It's not like what has happened at 30th and University.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
My realtor was suggesting Burlingame to me when I was house hunting. However, I couldn't get passed the extra commute time this more southerly location would add, and steered him back to the neighborhoods along the southern rim of Mission Valley. Also, at the time I was looking, I found the whole 30th Street experience to be too iffy. Nowadays, I wonder if Burlingame or South Park just to the south, might have been the place to be for what I want. Some parts of the commercial area are trendy and cool, other parts are down market and beat down, but over all South Park and southern North Park is an area on the rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego