Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:08 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,687,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This site has a lot of good links including some of the sites you guys have already shown:
San Diego's Ocean
Have you been in the water lately? How is it? We just need the air temps to warm up. There are currently 2 hurricanes south of us, they need to dissipate and send the remnants towards us to increase the humidity!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:11 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,000,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This site has a lot of good links including some of the sites you guys have already shown:
San Diego's Ocean
Yup yup, that one's on my bookmarks as well

Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I'm into visuals, as well! Wunderground has some cool water temp/hurricane maps for the Eastern Pacific.

Tropical Weather : Weather Underground

I'm sure sav858 has some stuff to share, too!
I wish, there used to be this GREAT Ocean imaging site that had infrared visuals of water temps in just Southern CA so it was easy to see how warm it was and where. NBC 7 used it last year in their weather reports but the site is dead now, too bad b/c it was the best I've seen visually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Have you been in the water lately? How is it? We just need the air temps to warm up. There are currently 2 hurricanes south of us, they need to dissipate and send the remnants towards us to increase the humidity!!
I have gone in about 3 times now, including Sunday and Monday. Sunday was very nice, only took a minute or two for the chill to wear off. But Monday it dropped a little and since it's kind of at that critical point where it's too cold, it took me a while to get it. PB and MB seems always to be a little cooler than North County and La Jolla. I think I will try LJ Shores this weekend.

Thankfully that red tide went away, the water looks so clear and beautiful right now.

But yes those air temps need to warm up, I was about to pull up the old weather thread and let out a rant, haha. This has been quite possibly the coolest June I've experienced in San Diego. I looked it up and so far this month it's been 4 degrees below normal for the high temp in SD, which is pretty significant. And all the weather forecasts show it staying below normal yet the TV weather reporters make no mention of it and keep saying "its perfect along the coast" even though it's been below normal EVERYDAY this month. I'm SICK of temps in the 60's already, bring on some 70's and a little humidity. But even though it has been a little cool, once you get on the sand and the wind dies down it's still pretty nice. And I'm sure people inland appreciate the mild temps.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 9,828 times
Default cold water in San Diego

I have lived in Southern California and Northern California and have an opportunity to move back to San Diego County and I am so looking forward to it.

The ocean water in Northern California, yes even Santa Cruz is COLD, COLD, COLD.

My husband and I went to Jamaica 3 years ago and the thing I enjoyed most was the swimming in the ocean.

When I lived in Southern California I did as you do didnt really spend alot of time at the beach except during the summer months. That's ok cause im almost 100% sure that's what I will be spending my retirement doing along with running on the beach with my dog everyday.

I havent lived near the ocean in 20 years and cant wait. The Northern California oceans are so cold I have never swam in the ocean here.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidirtrider View Post
I have lived in Southern California and Northern California and have an opportunity to move back to San Diego County and I am so looking forward to it.

The ocean water in Northern California, yes even Santa Cruz is COLD, COLD, COLD.

My husband and I went to Jamaica 3 years ago and the thing I enjoyed most was the swimming in the ocean.

When I lived in Southern California I did as you do didnt really spend alot of time at the beach except during the summer months. That's ok cause im almost 100% sure that's what I will be spending my retirement doing along with running on the beach with my dog everyday.

I havent lived near the ocean in 20 years and cant wait. The Northern California oceans are so cold I have never swam in the ocean here.
If you want to find out what the ocean temps are you can go to this site as well as several others:
National Weather Service - NWS Los Angeles/Oxnard

Currently the water temp in San Diego bay is 70F and upper 60's at surrounding beaches. Normally the ocean temp from July to mid Sept is in the low 70's.
Pacific Ocean Temperatures on California Coast

Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,129,160 times
The water right now isn't bad at all in my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego