Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM

160 posts, read 432,105 times

Advertisements

Hello...I have a business meeting near Montgomery Field and was told that the Gaslamp District is "the" place to stay regarding the trip.

Hotel recommendations wanted for Montgomery Field northbound into Gaslamp. 4 Star +

Thanks everybody !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 02:13 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
The Horton Grand is fun... cuz it's haunted. Ask for room 309! Mwahahahahaha

Really, anything "downtown" is close to the gas lamp. The Embassy Suites is nice (ask for a bay view), the Omni is real nice too! Marriott Marina is nice.

Edit: forgot to add... go to the bar at the top of the Embassy Suites for a drink! Such a great view!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
too many good options, but if it were up to me, i'd go with the Hyatt, the Marriott overlooking the ballpark, or the Hard Rock. the hyatt is easily the best place in SD to have a drink and take in a view.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:31 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
All the previous places mentioned on this thread and there's this awesome one where you sit on top of the building and look over at Petco Park and the rest of downtown. (don't remember the name)

Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpritjr View Post
Hello...I have a business meeting near Montgomery Field and was told that the Gaslamp District is "the" place to stay regarding the trip.

Hotel recommendations wanted for Montgomery Field northbound into Gaslamp. 4 Star +

Thanks everybody !
You want either the Hotel Ivy (Downtown San Diego Hotels- Gaslamp Quarter Hotel- Andaz San Diego Near Convention Center) or the Hotel Solamar (San Diego Gaslamp Quarter Hotel - Luxury Hotel Solamar). There are a couple of more exclusive hotels but they will be astronomically expensive and usually you can't get a room without a reference from an existing member (typically these place cater to Hollywood types who want exclusivity and can pay big bucks). Of those I'd go with the Ivy (recently renamed to Andaz) as it's the most exclusive and posh hotel you can get into as a member of the general public.

Be prepared to open your wallet because getting "THE" place in a town like San Diego will not be cheap.

Now, if night life isn't your thing and you're just looking for a great private beach & an awesome room with a view then go to The Hotel Del Coronado. That 19th century classic hotel is the favored destination for presidents and foreign heads of state when they visit San Diego and they have rooms from the merely regular all the way up to palatial suites which a head of state would be happy in.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 PM

A guide to the hotels located in the Gas Lamp District.

Gaslamp Hotel Guide (http://www.gaslamp.org/gaslamp-hotel-guide - broken link)

If you tell us your budget we can better narrow down choices. So far I've only given high end suggestions because you said you wanted the best. Really the only five star hotels not yet mentioned are The U.S. Grant Hotel (founded in the 19th century by the son of the former President) which is right in the Gas Lamp and has an awesome cocktail and food menu which mixes modern with 19th century traditional and The Grand Del Mar which is located in North County and not in the Gas Lamp District.

Edit: Oh, I can't believe I forgot The Lodge at Torrey Pines which is located in Torrey Pines and not the Gas Lamp but it is an AAA five diamond hotel. One of only a few in the country.

Last edited by Oerdin; 08-12-2010 at 08:55 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
All the previous places mentioned on this thread and there's this awesome one where you sit on top of the building and look over at Petco Park and the rest of downtown. (don't remember the name)
That's the Hotel Solamar which is my second favorite Gas Lamp hotel after the Ivy/Andaz. If you're a baseball fan though then Solamar is pretty much the be all and end all of downtown hotels especially when there is a game going on.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Sounds like you are talking about Altitude Sky Bar atop the Gaslamp Marriott. Hotel Solemar has a nice pool deck on the 4th floor but doesn't really look over Petco. Also Kimpton's other Gaslamp hotel, Palomar is nice, formally The Sei, on 5th and Broadway.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:56 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
For coolness and boutique I would say:
Solamar
W
Ivy
Hard Rock

For oldschool luxury, ginourmous pools, and-drop dead views:

Marriott Marquis
Hyatt
Omni

All above are in gaslamp and you will not have to walk far for anything (less than 5 minutes). Montgomery Field will be about 20 mics away via cab ($25) or car considering traffic.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:06 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
The OP posted in August of 2010, so I'm guessing that particular business trip is long past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego