Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,107 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'll be moving to SD in September and was wondering what the job market is like in finance world? I am an analyst in credit risk area for a financial firm and would like to find a similar job out there. Any clue anyone? Thanks for any incite you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 09:01 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,385,945 times
There are some opps here. Corporate Finance stuff is hardest to get, you need corp HQ's and there are only a few F500's here. You are mostly looking at Qualcomm, Sony etc.. Otherwise mostly smaller/midsize tech and biotechs with anemic finance departments.

There is a big First Advantage operation here as well as several stock brokerage service provider places (LPL being the biggest). There is also consulting, Booz Allen Hamilton and RSM McGladrey have offices here.

There are a lot of people coming off layoffs in mortgage right now so expect a little more competition than usual. If you have a good reputation and personality you shouldn't have a problem finding most white-collar jobs in SD.

I don't want to scare you away from SD but you will make less money for the same job in LA. Just be prepared to have to resist the lure of 175k/yr contract work in the Entertainment industry ;-)

Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,107 times
Thanks for your reply, Sassberto. I hear Qualcomm is tough to get it, how valid is that statement? In addition, I hear Sony is closing their SD branch, are they still hanging in? Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:57 AM

9,523 posts, read 30,385,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel T View Post
Thanks for your reply, Sassberto. I hear Qualcomm is tough to get it, how valid is that statement? In addition, I hear Sony is closing their SD branch, are they still hanging in? Thanks again.
I can't speak to Finance (I am a software dev) but Qualcomm is easy to get in as a contractor but much harder as a perm employee.

Sony is building a brand new tower and is moving their HQ from NJ to Rancho Bernardo. They always hire / layoff the production people but I don't think that impacts the corporate stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego