Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:46 PM

21 posts, read 85,875 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

What can I say, I love San Diego, every bit of the gaslamp district, through petco park, and all the way out to Coronado. I make it out there about once a year or so; I have some buddies in SoCal.

So I'm in Richmond, Virginia right now, but not by choice.

So now that I've finished my MBA, I'm ready to take that next step and move to a real city where a single guy can make stuff happen.

I've always enjoyed myself every time I've been to San Diego.. I can't think of any issues I saw with the people; everyone seemed really approachable and laid back.

But I've been reading some stuff from locals lately, namely this guys who blogs at www.singlesteve.com and he said being a single guy in San Diego sucks.. Is this true?

Just save me the move if it is, I didn't know there was a problem. I mean, it seems like a decent sized city, and the gaslamp is always packed.

And if you the think the is a case of "the grass is greener" just check reateanything.com and type in Richmond VA reviews and you'll find pages of 1-star ratings from people swearing Richmond is the worst place on the planet for young single professionals.

What do you guys think? Should I think twice about moving out there?

Best,

- Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 04:34 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Last time I was single in San Diego was 5 years ago, but I doubt it has changed much since then. All I can say is that it really depends on you. San Diego is pretty much like anywhere else, and the most important key to dating women is confidence. San Diego may have a reputation for being "Man Diego" where girls have options, and it has a reputation for having girls that are stuck-up, shallow, materialistic, superficial, etc. There might be some truth to that, but they are not all like that. San Diego, being a city of 1.4 million, is a mixed bag, especially with its diversity.

It seems like you are already familiar with SD and Gaslamp. That was my hangout spot when I was single, but I actually preferred the local neighborhood bars, like the Second Wind in Santee where I lived. In Cahoots in Mission Valley on a Wed. night was another nice spot (if you don't mind country music). In my nine years living there, I've had periods of times of good luck and periods of bad luck. If you do move out there, good luck and don't get discouraged.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:19 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondGuy View Post
Hey everybody,

What can I say, I love San Diego, every bit of the gaslamp district, through petco park, and all the way out to Coronado. I make it out there about once a year or so; I have some buddies in SoCal.

So I'm in Richmond, Virginia right now, but not by choice.

So now that I've finished my MBA, I'm ready to take that next step and move to a real city where a single guy can make stuff happen.

I've always enjoyed myself every time I've been to San Diego.. I can't think of any issues I saw with the people; everyone seemed really approachable and laid back.

But I've been reading some stuff from locals lately, namely this guys who blogs at www.singlesteve.com and he said being a single guy in San Diego sucks.. Is this true?

Just save me the move if it is, I didn't know there was a problem. I mean, it seems like a decent sized city, and the gaslamp is always packed.

And if you the think the is a case of "the grass is greener" just check reateanything.com and type in Richmond VA reviews and you'll find pages of 1-star ratings from people swearing Richmond is the worst place on the planet for young single professionals.

What do you guys think? Should I think twice about moving out there?

Best,

- Phil
I think the SEAandATL is spot on. I am well traveled and have lived in several major cities around the world. Regardless of language and cultural differences, people are more or less the same. Its a matter of how well you translate your intentions and confidence to the opposite sex when you are "on the prowl".
Now I just took a quick look at that singlesteve blog and well....it seems more like a rant than anything else with lots of white noise. I am not sure how much stock one should take in something like that.

I never caught your age but this can have a major impact on your day to day life and social groups. Typically I have found, the older one gets, the more effort it takes to really meet new people regardless of location. I am no psychologist, but I tend to find my friends "getting in the pocket" so to speak. They are married or are getting married and starting to head down the family track, thus their eagerness to meet new people is not as forthcoming compared several years ago.
You will find more mid-twenty somethings to younger 30 year olds in the downtown area. If you were to move to a suburb outside of downtown like Poway, I think you will be seeing a heck of a lot more families. OF course these are generalities.

If you have never lived outside of Richmond before, then maybe a fresh start is good for you. Whether saying the grass is greener here in SD is totally subjective to your attitude and what you are looking to achieve. I mean you could just stay online and ask all the questions you want on forums. Or you can just go and experience life without the cellphones and computers and live in the moment.

BTW....the gaslamp is not always "packed" I live here and the only time its packed is on the weekends or when there is a massive convention in town
Other than that it is super quiet during the week.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:19 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
Being single in San Diego is like being single in any other city. You have to have confidence and put in the effort. A women is not going to come knocking on your door and immediately fall in love, though that would be awesome if that happened. There are miserable singles in every city. Sometimes it's because they themselves are lacking confidence or didn't put in enough effort. The Gaslamp, downtown, and Coronado should be great places to meet singles, but you should also try other places around the county like La Jolla or Mission Valley, wherever you feel comfortable

Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM

39 posts, read 174,086 times
I noticed in the Gaslamp areas, there are a lot of young blonde girls perhaps college students or young professionals. In fact, they make up at least 75% of the young girls there.

So, do these white girls go for Mexican, Black,and Asian guys as well...since that's the biggest option when a non-White guy (like an Asian guy) want to date a woman in the downtown area? And most dating ads feature White ladies since that's the largest group of singles.

There's a rise of more minority males going for White girls in San Diego (interracial dating) -- perhaps that can be the case?

Old 08-15-2010, 03:31 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,209 times
I found it awfully hard to date when I lived in S.D., but it was mainly do to the fact that I like fat girls. Everyone in So Cal is so into their looks, tans, health foods, fasting, and all, it is near impossible to even see a big woman anywhere, especially at the beach where I liked to hang out.

I finally gave up and moved to Texas where fat is beautiful. They say that everything is bigger in Texas and that ain't no lie. Even I have doubled in size since being here, and women seem to love us big guys down here.

When I move back to S.D. soon I will have to drop 100 lbs before anyone will even look my way or give me the time of day.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
I found it awfully hard to date when I lived in S.D., but it was mainly do to the fact that I like fat girls.
Lol! Now THAT was funny...

on another note, to the OP, I don't know about the rest of your original post, but that single steve blog you mentioned is hilarious, I've been reading it now for the past hour.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
No wonder the guys on that website are single. They are D-bags

Old 08-16-2010, 10:43 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Whether dating in SD is easy of hard largely depends on your perspective. Like others have said, it depends largely on you. For me, it isn't easy, but I'm a rather picky person. If you're picky and a guy, it will be harder. If you're more open, things get much easier.

As far as SD having a reputation for women being stuck up, that depends on where you're looking for them. In my personal opinion, those types seem to concentrate in the PB area if you're looking at the bar scene. That is, that's how it was when I was into that scene years ago. It may have changed now.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM

70 posts, read 178,157 times
Dating in San Diego is amazing if your a single male, though it might be called "Man Diego" there are plenty of fine ladies that will give you the time of day. And the race thing really doesnt matter i'm a black male and got plenty of love from White, Mexican and Asian girls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego