Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 7,952 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was hoping someone could give me suggestions on where to move to. I have lived in southern california my whole life, mainly San Diego fiance is from Boston. I am soon to be married and my fiance and I desparately want to move. We don't dislike S.D. but neither of us have been able to find a decent job in our almost opposite fields his - finance/accounting/Sales mine- art/graphic design. The G.D. job I have now only pays 14/hr and we will never be able to buy a place here on that or have babies . We have considered Charlotte, N.C., Florida, Seattle and Vancouver, Canada (which seems impossible). We have to live near water no land-locked cities for me. I love the beach but could settle for large lake, as well. The most important factor is jobs because I think that has a lot to do with your level of happiness any where you live. love all the stuff to do in SD, beach, weather, nightlife, bbq's but there has NEVER been a good job market here unless you work in Biotech. I love the outdoors and am very athletic and active. I know the weather will be a sacrafice where ever I go but I think I will enjoy having 4 seasons for a change. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 AM

276 posts, read 792,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilv78 View Post
Hi! I was hoping someone could give me suggestions on where to move to. I have lived in southern california my whole life, mainly San Diego fiance is from Boston. I am soon to be married and my fiance and I desparately want to move. We don't dislike S.D. but neither of us have been able to find a decent job in our almost opposite fields his - finance/accounting/Sales mine- art/graphic design. The G.D. job I have now only pays 14/hr and we will never be able to buy a place here on that or have babies . We have considered Charlotte, N.C., Florida, Seattle and Vancouver, Canada (which seems impossible). We have to live near water no land-locked cities for me. I love the beach but could settle for large lake, as well. The most important factor is jobs because I think that has a lot to do with your level of happiness any where you live. love all the stuff to do in SD, beach, weather, nightlife, bbq's but there has NEVER been a good job market here unless you work in Biotech. I love the outdoors and am very athletic and active. I know the weather will be a sacrafice where ever I go but I think I will enjoy having 4 seasons for a change. Thanks!
Please, under no circumstances move to FL. I moved from SD to FL out of necessity several years ago (caring for an elderly parent). SD is very expensive and more and quite crowded, but the climate is great. FL is the most miserable place I have ever lived. If I were in your position, I would move to Seattle or Vancouver. If necessary, move to NC (although I wouldn't live any place in NC except Asheville and to the west).
I know several people that moved from CA to FL mostly due to financial reasons. They have all left now because they hated it. They moved to AZ, UT since it was cheaper. I am only here at the present time because I am still unable to sell my place. I'm telling you that you will hate FL if you are used to CA living. I won't return to SD because I can't afford to do so; however, I can't wait to leave this hot humid hell hole!!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 7,952 times
Thanks! Good to know.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
We lived in Austin and loved it. There are plenty of lakes for water sports and the whole live music scene is great. Due to the University of Texas as well as several other colleges and universities in the area, Austin maintains a very young and hip vibe
The cost of living is decent and rents are affordable.
We are moving to SD, but my youngest son is moving back to Austin - "A BLUE PEARL IN A SEA OF RED" Politically speaking if that is your thing.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:26 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Call me crazy, I'm a native San Diegan who lives for the beach and has never lived in snow, but for some reason, I've always thought I could move to Minneapolis. It's always ranked on those lists of great places to live (I know they can be bogus, but whatever) and for some reason, just seems like a cool place.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Call me crazy, I'm a native San Diegan who lives for the beach and has never lived in snow, but for some reason, I've always thought I could move to Minneapolis. It's always ranked on those lists of great places to live (I know they can be bogus, but whatever) and for some reason, just seems like a cool place.
Minneapolis is actually a pretty cool place, and more than just weather-wise. It's my favorite large city in the Midwest. There is a fun vibe to it. I ate at large Japanese restaurant in downtown Minneapolis a few years ago that had all Japanese cooks. Might not sound like a big deal so someone from SoCal, but for the Midwest it's impressive. Minneapolis may not be as much of a stretch as you may think.

Minneapolis has diverse and interesting neighborhoods with a lot of affordable housing to buy or to rent. The economy is diversified and there are a lot of young people there. Many colleges and universities around. The airport can easily get you anywhere you want to go. No real huge lakes, but lots and lots of little ones to enjoy. Totally worth checking out. I currently live in Madison, WI, but if I had to live somewhere else in the Midwest, Minneapolis would be my next choice hands-down.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Encinitan, you're not crazy! I've not lived in Minneapolis but a previous job took me there plenty of times. The people are really cool, the lakes are beautiful and cost of living appears to be reasonable. I would move there except for: Of course it gets cold,cold,cold!! In the summer their state bird, the mosquito takes over.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Seattle and Vancouver, Canada are quite expensive and the cloud cover, more than the rain, will likely get to you. Think of this "summer's" weather in SD and then try to imagine something more ominous and cold for a good chunk of the year.
Finding another California in the rest of the country is an isometric exercise; lots of straining, but getting nowhere.
As far as Minnesota, you can't realize how frickin' cold it gets there until you've spent a winter in that kind of climate.
This probably won't be of much help, but, as an "ocean person" myself, I'd consider moving to New Mexico for cheaper living. Still lots of outdoor activities available and a range of climates to choose from, albeit all arid. The important thing is to find work, wherever that leads you.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:46 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
New Mexico is beautiful I agree. It has 4 seasons and never gets too cold and never really gets too hot.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Seattle is very expensive to live so you wouldn't really be getting ahead there and the weather is lousy.

I would say check out Dallas, as it' COL is reasonable compared to CA and the economy is pretty good.

also, Northern Virginia/DC has the best climate right now for jobs, mostly because of government hiring. It is expensive but there are jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego