Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:42 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,033 times

Advertisements

This is really starting to get to me. Every time I drive around Mission Valley by the Off Ramp of 8 East toward MV Mall, Best Buy and Target areas and around Hazard Center Road and Mission Center Road I see homeless standing or sitting with signs by the light or along the road. At first it seemed like a couple here and there but lately I've been seeing them at various lights and intersections quite consistently. While I certainly understand homeless need money, food, etc. I feel it's getting ridiculous that they are there all the time and no one has really done anything about it. Not only is this an eyesore but it's also awkward every time you have to see contend with them staring you down at the light and begging for food, drink, money, etc. Do police ever alert them that they can't be doing that? Is there anyone around patrolling to limit this? I think there's more homeless lurking around this area than there are beggers in the gaslamp in downtown. Thoughts anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,289 times
This is becoming a nationwide problem. . . I heard on TV that in SD , police on motorcycles were going to start cracking down on people begging @ intersections. . . .we'll see ha

Old 08-21-2010, 04:29 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
By order of our judicial overlords, the police aren't allowed to do anything about the homeless. Hence their constant proliferation, at every stop sign, stop light, freeway underpass, canyon, and downtown street.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:52 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Interesting, in Austin you are not to encourage the panhandlers standing along the side of the road; and I've heard, no first hand knowledge, that Police pose as panhandlers and if you stop to give them money, you're given a ticket. Can't confirm just heard this third hand from a couple of folks. If it's true, though, I suppose that would discourage both the giver and givee in a panhandling situation.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:31 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
It's not clear that all these people are homeless. I see a number of well dressed younger people in the area looking for handouts. Some are clear cut scammers. I've seen an individual near the intersection of Camino De La Reina and Mission Center with a sign indicating he's a Marine needing cash for an emergency leave to get back home. I almost felt sorry for the guy until I started to see him every couple of weeks out on the street with the same sign.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
There is a big difference between being a panhandler and being homeless.

If you want to help the homeless, donate your time or money to any one of the many charities in town. DO NOT give money to a person on the median. If you feel guilty about it and the guy is walking right by your door, you tell them you give it to x charity. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
I will be going to intersections where panhandlers operate with my own sign that says the same thing as the now famous bumper stickers: "Please Don't Feed Our Bums". These people sicken me. Especially the fat lady who sits at the S 163 Genesse exit. She sits on her ass, always has a cigarette in her mouth, and waits for people to drop money in her bucket. When the light turns green and people start to go, if she doesn't get any donations, she rolls her eyes at everyone. The beggar could at least get off her fat a$$ and walk to the car for the money.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:38 PM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
You gotta learn to do what I posted in a different thread on here a few weeks ago. When I am several cars back from the light, I wave to them and have them run to my car before the light changes. When they get up to the window, I ask them if they can spare a cigarette. I just love doing that! I am such a jerk!

Old 08-21-2010, 11:02 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
You gotta learn to do what I posted in a different thread on here a few weeks ago. When I am several cars back from the light, I wave to them and have them run to my car before the light changes. When they get up to the window, I ask them if they can spare a cigarette. I just love doing that! I am such a jerk!
Yeah, it's kind of starting to sound like you are.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego