Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM

101 posts, read 182,843 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I lived in San Diego in the mid-90's while my Dad was in the Navy. My fiancee and I have decided to go there for our honeymoon in October. Our hotel is in the Gaslamp District. Based on my memory and a little research, I've come up with a tenative plan of stuff to do.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions of things to do and things to avoid, good restaurants (mix of casual to elegant would be great), and any additional local tips. I want it to be a nice combination of seeing some classic San Diego sights, experiencing the area, and selling my fiancee that we should move there in a few years . Also, any suggestions on LA & Hollywood stuff to do in 1.5 days would be very helpful also.

1) Saturday
a) Arrive at LAX at 11 a.m.
b) Leave rental car agency by noon
c) Drive to San Diego
i) 2 hour straight drive or;
ii) Approx. 3 hour drive + possible stops for lunch & sightseeing
(1) i.e. Santa Monica Pier, Newport Beach, San Juan Capistrano etc.
d) Arrive at hotel (approx 2 PM; 5-7 PM if scenic drive with stops)
e) Nice, but not over-the-top dinner
2) Sunday
a) Relax; explore hotel, gaslamp district, maybe head to Coronado to relax at beach, bike and eat
3) Monday
a) San Diego Trolley tour (maybe)
b) Old Town
c) Mission Bay/Seaport Village
4) Tuesday

a) Free day at Balboa Park
i) Possibly go to museums (Photography Museum is supposed to be awesome)
ii) Possibly go to San Diego Zoo
iii) Possibly go to play
iv) Enjoy scenery, etc.
v) Picnic lunch
5) Wednesday
a) Relaxation day
i) Beach (likely La Jolla)
ii) Hang out at hotel
iii) TBD
6) Thursday
a) San Diego Wild Animal Park
b) Stone Brewery (maybe)
c) Julian
d) Winery tour (maybe)
7) Friday
a) Maritime museum (fiancee will probably sleep in for this one)
b) Boat cruise
c) TBD
8) Saturday
a) Drive to LA
b) See Hollywood sights
c) See other LA “stuff”
d) Swanky LA dinner
9) Sunday
a) Other LA “stuff” TBD
b) Drop off car
c) Fly home

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Well thought out schedule.

Since you're staying downtown, how about a sunset cruise on San Diego Bay?

Hornblower does some nice cruises: Hornblower Cruises & Events : San Diego : Sights & Sips Sunset Cruises

Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM

129 posts, read 340,750 times
I have to disagree with your choice on 9C.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Great schedule. I cannot think of anything to add to it. I live here and still do many of the things on your list. You may find that week go by pretty fast.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
If you're honeymooning in San Diego, why don't you just fly directly into Lindbergh Field, instead of LAX? You'll save yourself some time, and will have more time to do things in San Diego.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
My thoughts:

Monday: 3(C) Mission Bay/Seaport Village

Skip Seaport Village, use that time for your Harbor Cruise which you scheduled for Friday. And frankly, Old Town doesn't do much for me either. I'd rather walk around older neighborhoods like Mission Hills, or South Park, than walk around Old Town.

Tuesday: iii) Possibly go to play

I would do the play on Thursday or Friday night, and make a classy night out of it.

Tuesday: 4(V) Picnic Lunch

Rather than a picnic lunch in Balboa Park, try a picnic lunch at Point Loma's Cabrillo Lighthouse National Monument. Bring windbreakers in case it's windy, but much more scenic. The panoramas of the City and Bay are spectacular. And maybe you'll see some boats and ships enter and leave the harbor. There's a small fee to enter the Federal Park but this is your honeymoon, don't sweat the $5 or $7 dollar parking fee.

Wednesday: 5(A)(i) Beach - Probably La Jolla

How about Black's Beach instead? It's clothing optional. When your wife looks at the fat, wrinkly, old guys walking around naked, she'll either

1) thank her lucky stars she married you, and respond accordingly , or
2) be permanently put off sex for the rest of your marriage.

But you could tell her to have at you while you're still hot.

Thursday: 6 (A)(C)&(D) Can Julian, Winery Tour and Wild Animal Park all be done in the same day? Sounds like a lot of activity and driving for one day to me.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 PM

34 posts, read 52,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
Hi all,

I lived in San Diego in the mid-90's while my Dad was in the Navy. My fiancee and I have decided to go there for our honeymoon in October. Our hotel is in the Gaslamp District. Based on my memory and a little research, I've come up with a tenative plan of stuff to do.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions of things to do and things to avoid, good restaurants (mix of casual to elegant would be great), and any additional local tips. I want it to be a nice combination of seeing some classic San Diego sights, experiencing the area, and selling my fiancee that we should move there in a few years . Also, any suggestions on LA & Hollywood stuff to do in 1.5 days would be very helpful also.

1) Saturday
a) Arrive at LAX at 11 a.m.
b) Leave rental car agency by noon
c) Drive to San Diego
i) 2 hour straight drive or;
ii) Approx. 3 hour drive + possible stops for lunch & sightseeing
(1) i.e. Santa Monica Pier, Newport Beach, San Juan Capistrano etc.
d) Arrive at hotel (approx 2 PM; 5-7 PM if scenic drive with stops)
e) Nice, but not over-the-top dinner
2) Sunday
a) Relax; explore hotel, gaslamp district, maybe head to Coronado to relax at beach, bike and eat
3) Monday
a) San Diego Trolley tour (maybe)
b) Old Town
c) Mission Bay/Seaport Village
4) Tuesday

a) Free day at Balboa Park
i) Possibly go to museums (Photography Museum is supposed to be awesome)
ii) Possibly go to San Diego Zoo
iii) Possibly go to play
iv) Enjoy scenery, etc.
v) Picnic lunch
5) Wednesday
a) Relaxation day
i) Beach (likely La Jolla)
ii) Hang out at hotel
iii) TBD
6) Thursday
a) San Diego Wild Animal Park
b) Stone Brewery (maybe)
c) Julian
d) Winery tour (maybe)
7) Friday
a) Maritime museum (fiancee will probably sleep in for this one)
b) Boat cruise
c) TBD
8) Saturday
a) Drive to LA
b) See Hollywood sights
c) See other LA “stuff”
d) Swanky LA dinner
9) Sunday
a) Other LA “stuff” TBD
b) Drop off car
c) Fly home

So the SD part seems to be pretty complete, the only thing I might add is a sunset balloon ride...it's killer. As far as L.A., I have some suggestions for you...

Eating...for a fancy, unusual dinner, I suggest Opaque. It's an amazing concept, you are dining in pitch darkness, waited upon by waitstaff that are either blind, or highly trained. It's a completely different eating experience...you'll taste the flavours like you never have in your life, and the food is exquisite. You need to book in advance, and it is fairly pricey, so be aware...but completely worth it. Someplace that is less fancy, but no less thrilling is Giovanni's on Venice Blvd. It is tucked away in a little strip mall, but they are authentic makers of Italian food...all the pasta is made fresh by guys screaming at each other in Italian in the back room...it's awesome. Dress is casual there, no reservations...but the line goes down quickly. There's an added bonus for Giovanni's, as well...if you walk East past the restaurant and turn right at the first street...about 100 yards down are 3 houses nestled in some trees that were designed in the 1940's and are modeled after actual storybook houses...they're amazing, the look like they came right off the set of Snow White. In Hollywood, there's Roscoe's chicken and waffles...I promise you...the best fried chicken you've ever had. And if you've never had it with a waffle, just go for it...sounds weird...tastes amazing. If you want to hit the Hollywood tourist sites (Mann's, etc.) do it during the day...the evening can get a little sketchy. Don't be afraid or intimidated by Beverly Hills...I've seen some of the most amazing houses just driving around...and don't be afraid to drive right up one of the hills and wander about...if you get lost, just go down, it's that simple. Head out to Santa Monica pier, absolutely...if only to say you've been there...and then drive up the coast and through Malibu. Avoid the crab shack...if you want to stop for food...Moondance...it's on the left...you'll see it...great lobster. If it's during the day...a few miles up, there's a burger stand on the right...it's run by a blond surfer dude in his 50's...you'll know it's open if his bright orange 1978 corvette is parked in front. Best burgers I've ever eaten...right on the ocean...it's classic. If you're into prime rib...hit Lawry's...semi-casual...and valet parking (make sure you have cash.) They pull a huge rolling meat spit up to your table and carve it right there...a total experience, and amazing food...yorkshire pudding...sigh...love it.

If you want to shop...don't bother with Beverly Hills...go to Melrose...that's where the cool stuff is...some great funky shops there. And while you're over there...stop at Pink's hot dog stand for a quick bite...classic. Line is usually long but SO SO SO worth it. There's also Canter's...classic deli...I saw many a movie star in there...going at night is your best bet.

Ok...that does it for L.A...all the stuff I mentioned you won't find in tourist guides...but I lived there for 5 years...and those were some of my favourite spots...any of things I mentioned can be found via google...and on any GPS.

Enjoy your honeymoon!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM

129 posts, read 340,750 times
I just got whiplash reading all that. LOVE that post nickel9th! Reputation definetly given.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
i also went on my honeymoon to SD. unfortunately spending just 1 week there was not enough time for me to convince the wife to move there. we stayed at the Del in Coronado, you may want to add Coronado to your list if it isnt already there. some pretty nice sights there and a nice beach as well. Tijuana? just a suggestion.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:42 PM

101 posts, read 182,843 times
Hi all,

Thank you all for your awesome suggestions... we'll be on our way to SD in about 2 weeks... very excited. Any recommendations for must-try food... definitely want some good Mexican and seafood as well as one or two fancy dinners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego