Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM

43 posts, read 70,830 times

Advertisements

I've lurked here a long time and am finally posting; and yes, I've found a few threads that address my question, but I'm at a dead end and don't know where else to look. Here's the deal:

DH and I have both just retired; our house is under contract for a cash sale and is supposed to close in early October. For the last two years, we've investigated where to move and have decided on one of the towns of coastal north SD county (but only as far north as Carlsbad).

All the advice I've read here (and elsewhere) says that we should rent before we buy, which makes good sense to me. The problem is finding short-term rentals (4 months or less, furnished or un, we don't care) where we can live while figuring out where to buy. I don't want to spend more than $2K per month.

The hitch seems to be our pet; he's a dwarf house rabbit (under 4 pounds) who is litter-box trained and very rarely has "accidents." He doesn't vocalize, so he's completely quiet; nor does he chew furniture.

My DH is in SD right now (and will be for several more days) and hasn't found a single property that will accept a pet rabbit. We've tried all the usual suspects for rentals -- Craigslist, SignonSanDiego, corporate housing sites, etc., with no luck. We're about to give up. Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Definitely try private owners vs. a management company/apartment complex; private owners are typically much more flexible. We found our place of 1.5 years, amazingly, from Craigslist and it has been great. Just be cautious of scams from Craigslist.

Honestly I don't think you necessarily need to disclose your rabbit to potential landlords. If he doesn't really make his "presence" known than no one will know. If it gets you into trouble later, claim you thought the pet issue applied to dogs & cats. Sounds like a cute little bunny bun you have. =)

Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 AM

129 posts, read 340,701 times
The pink squid has a point. There's a sentence I never thought is say. Almost all hoa rules about pets are aimed at barking dogs. I dont know that I would volunteer the rabbit on my Information sheet. But I can think of several property managers that would work with you on that.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:40 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDinsider View Post
The pink squid has a point. There's a sentence I never thought is say.
Aww, what?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
A rabbit is a pet. You need to disclose your pet to your landlord. If you don't dislose your pet, your landlord can evict you at any time.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
Tell the landlord it's a service animal.

I've heard of people going into restaurants with their pet snakes (they claimed it was therapeutic).

Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
A rabbit is a pet. You need to disclose your pet to your landlord. If you don't dislose your pet, your landlord can evict you at any time.
Cruitr has a point! Not disclosing it can only create problems later.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdokie View Post
I've lurked here a long time and am finally posting; and yes, I've found a few threads that address my question, but I'm at a dead end and don't know where else to look. Here's the deal:

DH and I have both just retired; our house is under contract for a cash sale and is supposed to close in early October. For the last two years, we've investigated where to move and have decided on one of the towns of coastal north SD county (but only as far north as Carlsbad).

All the advice I've read here (and elsewhere) says that we should rent before we buy, which makes good sense to me. The problem is finding short-term rentals (4 months or less, furnished or un, we don't care) where we can live while figuring out where to buy. I don't want to spend more than $2K per month.

The hitch seems to be our pet; he's a dwarf house rabbit (under 4 pounds) who is litter-box trained and very rarely has "accidents." He doesn't vocalize, so he's completely quiet; nor does he chew furniture.

My DH is in SD right now (and will be for several more days) and hasn't found a single property that will accept a pet rabbit. We've tried all the usual suspects for rentals -- Craigslist, SignonSanDiego, corporate housing sites, etc., with no luck. We're about to give up. Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks!
Have you tried getting in touch with one of the big property management outfits? They probably have an inventory of available properties and will know who takes pets, who would accept a rabbit, etc.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 PM

129 posts, read 340,701 times
"I would not have a problem finding a rental for someone with a rabbit." I tested that theory this afternoon by calling the 2 property management contacts I have dealt with the most. Both had sarcastic answers. Point being....they don't care about rabbits, fish, etc. They care about pets that effect neighbors. They understand that at least half of all their "no pets" properties, have some kind of pets in them. I think the reality of the situation is your friend OCDOKIE.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDinsider View Post
"I would not have a problem finding a rental for someone with a rabbit." I tested that theory this afternoon by calling the 2 property management contacts I have dealt with the most. Both had sarcastic answers. Point being....they don't care about rabbits, fish, etc. They care about pets that effect neighbors. They understand that at least half of all their "no pets" properties, have some kind of pets in them. I think the reality of the situation is your friend OCDOKIE.
You're right. My lease says no pets, and I have a cat. But I moved in without the cat, he was already there and moved in with me, shortly after I moved in. Now, when there's a vacancy, they're advertised as "cats allowed." But there would be no problems if someone had a rabbit.

Either OCDOKIE is a troll, or they're not looking at all, just making telephone call. And the OP hasn't been back to post, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego