Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:33 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

I tried the search function, but couldn't find anything. Is there anywhere to park near that airport for an extended time? If you've parked there, can you tell me what you paid? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 02:39 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Yup... off Pacific Highway there's a long-term parking lot we've used several times. I think it was around $11/day. It's the one that's actually run by the airport/San Diego Port Authority (rather than an outside company).

Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I don't think the airport in Carlsbad is very big. I looked on their website and didn't anything about parking, but there are several limousine services. You're best bet is probably to call them.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
It's not a real airport. It's a general aviation airfield. 80% of traffic in & out of there is private individuals flying their rented 2-4 passenger Cessna's for "$100 burgers" at nearby airfields.

There is a small long-term parking lot next to the airport, on Owens Ave., that costs $3/day.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Oh crap, I am so sorry... I didn't look at the title... I was talking about the main San Diego airport. Sorry!!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
It's not a real airport. It's a general aviation airfield. 80% of traffic in & out of there is private individuals flying their rented 2-4 passenger Cessna's for "$100 burgers" at nearby airfields.

There is a small long-term parking lot next to the airport, on Owens Ave., that costs $3/day.
United Express flies in and out of there, and you can fly to and from Mexico and Canada, last time I checked. I think that makes it a "real" airport.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
United Express flies in and out of there, and you can fly to and from Mexico and Canada, last time I checked. I think that makes it a "real" airport.
I'd say that any place that allows me to take off and land (assuming I ever decide to spend $10,000 and ten Saturdays to get the general aviation pilot license, something I've been meaning to do for at least 5 years but never had enough time and/or money to do), is, by definition, not a real airport.`

More to the point, McLellan-Palomar only has a 4900 foot landing strip, which is far too short to allow anything but the general aviation aircraft and some smaller business jets to land. For example, Boeing 737 requires 6600 feet.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
I'd say that any place that allows me to take off and land (assuming I ever decide to spend $10,000 and ten Saturdays to get the general aviation pilot license, something I've been meaning to do for at least 5 years but never had enough time and/or money to do), is, by definition, not a real airport.`
Lindbergh field is used for private planes too. I landed there and took off as a passenger in a small private plane 4 or 5 seater.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 AM

450 posts, read 1,407,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
There is no service to Mexico or Canada. US Airways and American used to serve the airport, but canceled their flights.

United Express has 4 round trip flights per day at Carlsbad all to United's LAX hub to connect passengers to other flights.

Exciting news though is the arrival of the new airline California Pacific Airlines that will make its hub at Carlsbad. It will begin its first flights in spring of 2011 and has won important regulatory approval. The first three destinations will be Oakland, Sacramento, and San Jose. It will later add Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Cabo San Lucas. It has optimistic goals to serve Canada and the Midwest by 2015.
California Pacific Airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
California Pacific Airlines

^^^ I like their policies! Two free checked bags

Cal Pacific picked a great plane too. The Embraer 170 is a regional jet that has the comfort and feel of a larger plane without the middle seat! It has very good reviews from passengers. Here are some pics of Embraer 170's. I love this plane!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Lindbergh field is used for private planes too. I landed there and took off as a passenger in a small private plane 4 or 5 seater.
Really? During daytime (between 7 AM and 11 PM)? I did not know that. They seem to have planes coming in and out every couple of minutes during business hours. I'd hate to try to squeeze into that. It's hard enough to communicate with other people in these forums if you're a non native speaker. Trying to talk to the air tower when you know that screwing up could mean another PSA 182 .. no thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego