Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times

Advertisements

I played tourist with a friend this past weekend, and had a great time. We stayed at the Howard Johnson on Rosecrans, which was clean if not amazing.

We spent Saturday at the zoo, yesterday at Sea World, and this morning at Balboa Park. The bell tower clock at the Museum of Man caught our attention when were in The Treehouse at the zoo, and we couldn't resist finding it and seeing it up close.

Honestly, I could have done without Sea World. It was very over-priced for what it was, but that didn't surprise me.

I loved the zoo, and can't wait to go back! I was surprised and pleased to see so much greenery in unexpected places, and watching the penguins swim around was wonderful. I also loved the shark exhibit, and the see-through tube exit when the sharks were swimming all around, including above us! The condor exhibit was also one of my favorites.

I had such a good time at Balboa Park, and we barely even scratched the surface. We didn't have time to go into the Natural Museum of History, for example, but the architecture of all those buildings was stunning. I only wish we had a similar park here in L.A.!

We didn't even go into downtown, Mission Beach, etc. I guess we have to save something for our next trip, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 PM

129 posts, read 340,701 times
Awesome!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 AM

176 posts, read 634,919 times
Check out the Wild Animal Park next time too.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I played tourist with a friend this past weekend, and had a great time. We stayed at the Howard Johnson on Rosecrans, which was clean if not amazing.

We spent Saturday at the zoo, yesterday at Sea World, and this morning at Balboa Park. The bell tower clock at the Museum of Man caught our attention when were in The Treehouse at the zoo, and we couldn't resist finding it and seeing it up close.

Honestly, I could have done without Sea World. It was very over-priced for what it was, but that didn't surprise me.

I loved the zoo, and can't wait to go back! I was surprised and pleased to see so much greenery in unexpected places, and watching the penguins swim around was wonderful. I also loved the shark exhibit, and the see-through tube exit when the sharks were swimming all around, including above us! The condor exhibit was also one of my favorites.

I had such a good time at Balboa Park, and we barely even scratched the surface. We didn't have time to go into the Natural Museum of History, for example, but the architecture of all those buildings was stunning. I only wish we had a similar park here in L.A.!

We didn't even go into downtown, Mission Beach, etc. I guess we have to save something for our next trip, right?
The shark exhibit and the penguins you described were at Sea World, right? I don't think they have sharks at the Zoo, or else I've missed them many many times.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
The shark exhibit and the penguins you described were at Sea World, right? I don't think they have sharks at the Zoo, or else I've missed them many many times.
No sharks or penguins at the SD Zoo...

Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 PM

213 posts, read 744,741 times
Me Too!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Oops... I didn't structure my first post quite right. No, there are no penguins and sharks at the zoo! Thanks, Sassberto, for setting the record straight.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:36 PM

181 posts, read 466,046 times
LoL... San Diego is wonderful!

When we decided to move out here, we also stayed at the Howard Johnson on Rosecrans.... VERY CLEAN and CHEAP PRICES... nice to have a fridge and microwave too

Glad you enjoyed your visit out here, San Diego is a truly beautiful place and easy to fall in love with Check out La Jolla Cove, Coronado, Birch Aquarium, Seaport Village and Old Town.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 PM

241 posts, read 713,138 times
It's postulated that it means a whale's vagina.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
It's postulated that it means a whale's vagina.

Obviously those people take movies too seriously.

Saint Diego.

The area has long been inhabited by the Kumeyaay people. The first European to visit the region was Portuguese explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, who sailed his flagship, the San Salvador, from Navidad (Mexico). Cabrillo claimed the bay for Spain and named the site San Miguel. In November of 1602, Sebastian Vizcaíno arrived with his flagship "San Diego", sent north by Spain from Navidad in Mexico. Vizcaíno surveyed the harbor and what is now Mission Bay and Point Loma, naming the area for the Spanish Catholic saint St. Didacus (More commonly known as San Diego). On November 12, 1602, the first Christian religious service of record in California was conducted by Fray Antonio de la Ascensión, a member of Vizcaíno's expedition, to celebrate the feast day of San Diego.

Not even close to the phrase in German. In German it would be, "Die Scheide eines Wal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego