Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM

220 posts, read 701,468 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Fell in love with your city last year and am thinking of signing up for a work project in your town for a year that may lead to permanent move..

A CPA from Big 4 experience in Accounting/Tax/Financial field, I never had a problem finding a job in NYC and surrounding CT/NJ as the area is heavy with financial and accounting firms..

just wanted to see if this I'd have a tough time getting a senior/starting manager position in SD.... it seems the big industry here is military, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
my goodness

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ring-move.html

Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 PM

Default Accounting/Tax strength in San Diego??

thanks but have looked at indeed/craigslist/careerbuilder/monster/the usual websites and 2 other recruiters, 1 soliciting me..

a) half the posts above are fake to get your resume and b) obviously the market wont be as strong as the financial capital of the world NYC..

..just wanted to see from people working in the field what kind of accounting/tax work they get into and if it's a large enough metro to move around if wanted..

ie back in NY you have different routes, public, private equity taxes, f500 in house, corp fin, gov't, IFRS, regulatory compliance, forensic, hedge fund valuation, the list goes on..

just wanted to see if the majority here in SD is either military in house accounting (if even large enough) or just your run of the mill public accounting (audit and tax) and that's it - which wouldn't be a deal-killer given the lower cost of living in SD, thanks.

Last edited by looksrich; 08-30-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Zero Fortune 500 and very few corporate HQ's in San Diego. Very few large private sector employers here - Qualcomm is the largest with 10k global employees - compare that to Portland OR, similar size and economic profile with both Nike (28k employees) and Intel, or Denver or San Antonio each w. multiple F500 large employers. Private sector opps are just not strong here - San Diego is a resort / retirement city with a couple of niche tech R&D clusters and a large government sector - no heavy industry, no major port, and little manufacturing - limited at best for opportunity in private enterprise.

However accounting jobs certainly exist. Opportunity will be much lower than what you are used to in NYC. There is not a highly diversified service sector and most of what there is stays pretty entrepreneurial. Most people in your position will move to LA instead for the career flexibility, and COL is not much more than San Diego. Majority of accountants in San Diego are probably new grad / staff. Large public accountancy's have offices here but it is many new grads. Most leave SD to make 100K+ or else become entrepreneurial themselves.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-30-2010 at 10:43 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
or else become entrepreneurial themselves.
thanks sass great post.. cant believe the lack of large companies here given its arguably large-ish size.. i've yet to research the tax structure but given the great coastal setting youd think companies would want to be here, unless i really have just taken NY for granted all this time..

i know theres a growing pe/hf community in newport beach (OC) ala Greenwich, CT so im surprised there are nary any shops in san diego given the great offerings SD provides (beach, restaurants, etc)

im actually planning to go the entrepreneurial route, and have done pretty well having building my own clients on the side.. but im still in transition mode and have a primary accounting role atm and plan to keep it a couple more years (hopefully in SD soon) until i can jump ship fully to entrepreneurial route (hopefully by the beach )

Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
thanks sass great post.. cant believe the lack of large companies here given its arguably large-ish size.. i've yet to research the tax structure but given the great coastal setting youd think companies would want to be here, unless i really have just taken NY for granted all this time..

i know theres a growing pe/hf community in newport beach (OC) ala Greenwich, CT so im surprised there are nary any shops in san diego given the great offerings SD provides (beach, restaurants, etc)
LA is the historical economic vacuum that siphons capital investment out of San Diego. Newport Beach is the Greenwich to LA, not San Diego. It's easy to take the first-class service industries of a Chicago / LA / NYC / SF Bay / Seattle for granted... San Diego is not on par with those economies.... better to compare it to a tier-2 or 3 market like Denver / Portland / Phoenix etc. Even cities considered tier-2 on the east coast like Atlanta, Philadelphia, Boston, etc... have much larger private sectors than San Diego does.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-31-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
as an accountant in LA who was looking for opportunities in SD, there just aren't many down there. positions do exist, but they are with smaller firms and competition is fierce so the pay is lower than you would expect. that's what blows me away about SD, pay is very low relative to cost of living. OC and LA pay much better and also have many more opportunities.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
All the posts here are great in reference to your post and from my experience, accurate.

The corporate climate here in SD is not conducive to the traditional ladder climber. Basically in NYC, the likelihood of landing another position at a larger or same sized firm are more favorable than here. Although there are many headquarters for some well known bio and tech companies from the mid-large scale, I would say most of them were started here and grew into their respective positions over time.
Being as you are looking to start your own client base, I dont have any tips for you except as with anywhere, connections are crucial. This may be difficult in areas with high net worth. I know many financial advisors that were great at what they did, but when it came to cracking the nut with high net clients, it was virtually impossible. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Accounting/finance is one of the few areas in SD where there are jobs, but not many high level/high paying ones. You will be coming from NY area, the arguably financial hub of the universe to an area, like everyone has stated here, that doesn't have many corporate hq's any more, thanks to the state's tax structure which is driving business out of state.

Also, SD is a "who you know" town, especially in the financial field. Jobs are found by who you know that will refer you to good openings. If you have public accounting with SEC and international experience, that always helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego