Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:28 AM

47 posts, read 426,472 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Miami all my life but soon I will soon be moving to San Diego. I have asked numerous questions about the city and everyone has been very helpful, and I have yet another one. Here in Miami as is probably known, we have very high humidity in the summer months. In all honesty, after living here for so long, I'm completely used to it and while its not the most pleasent weather phenomenon, I guess i'm pretty used to it. Having never lived in a dry climate, does anyone who has made the move from a relatively humid place to Southern California have any comments on like...adjusting to this change? Is it a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:33 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitalive305 View Post
I have lived in Miami all my life but soon I will soon be moving to San Diego. I have asked numerous questions about the city and everyone has been very helpful, and I have yet another one. Here in Miami as is probably known, we have very high humidity in the summer months. In all honesty, after living here for so long, I'm completely used to it and while its not the most pleasent weather phenomenon, I guess i'm pretty used to it. Having never lived in a dry climate, does anyone who has made the move from a relatively humid place to Southern California have any comments on like...adjusting to this change? Is it a big deal?
I grew up in NY which has humid summers. I can say that I LOVE the dry weather. My skin, and sinuses are much drier. The only drawback is the Santa Ana winds which occasionally happen. Hot, extremely dry desert air blows in and it is very uncomfortable.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 AM

41 posts, read 371,516 times
SD weather is great compared to Miami. I was in SoCal last summer during an apparently humid spell and it wasn't that bad at all. Here in Orlando if I get caught in a *really* extreme humid part of the year(Aug)...it feels like you can't even breath! It does get colder though in SD during the winter so get some jackets and sweaters...some things you probably never had to shop for in MIA.

I would say between 3-5pm is the most uncomfortable time of the day in Orlando during the summer...mucho mucho mucho caliente! Thank god for Willis Haviland(A/C inventor)! One thing that'll be a surprise to you is that you don't need AC in SD. That implication alone should make you grin

Last edited by FL2CA; 06-28-2007 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Jax

108 posts, read 638,929 times
My husband would disagree about the no AC in San Diego thing. We used one during the summer in our Coronado condo...definitely helps you to sleep better. That said, I live in FL now, and you will LOVE LOVE LOVE the less humid summers and better weather overall in San Diego. I wouldn't worry about adjusting to it if I were you. It'll be cooler at night during a good part of the year than what you're used to in Miami, so just have a jacket or sweatshirt on hand when needed. Enjoy!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Personally, I got the feeling that humidty was an aberration in SoCal. When would be the most humid months of the year in SD?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,082 times
I grew up in NY and am here in NY right now & I can say that at least a dozen times in the last 24 hrs I have said, "I am NEVER going to complain about the weather in San Diego again."

The humidity in NY is pretty awful and I KNOW it's nothing like Florida or Texas humidity. I will take SD's lower humidity anytime.

LOL - I agree...I think SD's heat is enough to warrant a/c.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
LOL - I agree...I think SD's heat is enough to warrant a/c.
Maybe for the rare times when there's a heat wave or something to that effect. I just don't buy the claim that SD needs AC...at all.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:44 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
Quote:
Having never lived in a dry climate, does anyone who has made the move from a relatively humid place to Southern California have any comments on like...adjusting to this change? Is it a big deal?
Going from a humid to a dry climate won't require an adjustment at all. It's definitely an adjustment going from a dry climate to a humid one, though.

As sampaguita said, the dry weather is only bothersome during the dry Santa Ana's that happen in the Fall sSason. Having dry lips and skin for a few days can be annoying. Everytime I'm in Arizona or Colorado, I just shrivel up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2SD
Personally, I got the feeling that humidty was an aberration in SoCal. When would be the most humid months of the year in SD?
Being from Florida, you probably laughed at us when you heard us complaining about the humidity when you were here, right?

As you found out, the humidity here is nothing compared to what you deal with in Florida. The "more" humid months here tend to be in July and August when the hurricane season in the Pacific Ocean is in full gear. What happens is that the remnants the hurricanes drift north and bring thunderstorms to our local mountains, and at the same time moisten the air over San Diego. It comes in spurts and can last for just a couple days and up to a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2SD
Maybe for the rare times when there's a heat wave or something to that effect. I just don't buy the claim that SD needs AC...at all.
I'm sure the folks living in the eastern parts of the city would argue with you on this one -

ALPINE, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

ESCONDIDO 2, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

EL CAJON, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

SAN PASQUAL ANIMAL PARK, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

Now compare those temps to the ideal conditions along the coast:
SAN DIEGO WSO AIRPORT, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

While A/C isn't a requirement if you live on the immediate coast, those of us who live further inland, know that having A/C makes life more tolerable during the summer months. After the brutal summer we had last year - highs in the 90's(and even a few 100's) w/lows in the mid 70's - we bought a mobile A/C unit and now I'm ready for the "July Fry" to begin

Last edited by sdurbanite; 06-29-2007 at 02:07 AM..

Old 06-29-2007, 05:24 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
Quote:
I grew up near DC in MD where the humidity would soak your socks after 5 mins in August.....then moved to Socal for 15 years....now live in Dallas (where it has rained 4 months straight).

All I can say is you will soon discover why people pay large sums of money to live in places like San Diego.

The only issue I had with the dry air at first was sinus related. A couple times in the summer driving out to Palm Springs with the windows down caused some damage. I also agree with Sass that the Santa Anna winds tweak the sinus a bit as well and dehydrate you to no end. Overall, these occurences are few and far between and I believe you'll spend most of your initial time in San Diego questioning why you did not move there sooner. It's utopia for fantastic weather.

Sincerely,

Someone badly missing the sunshine

Old 06-29-2007, 03:15 PM

Well you're right. I can imagine AC being needed in the eastern parts of the county. I do recall visiting Poway during July and there was a very noticeable jump in temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego