Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:54 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I'd say people suck everywhere, they just have different ways of sucking.
Amen to that! haha

Quote:
SD people are so incredibly flaky, it's not even funny, and it really is mostly just a SD thing (and to a lesser degree, other parts of CA). They take flakiness to a whole new level here -- it's not just that both parties say "let's hang out" then neither calls each other. That I could live with. But: We've made plans to meet, I go there, and the other person doesn't show up, nor do they answer when I try to call them to see where they are, nor do they call me back. Then when I happen to see them later they were just like "oh, I was busy" or "I forgot" & shake it off. UGH. And this has happened with multiple people too, from different groups.
No, not everyone is like this -- but too many are, it's happened way more often than not. This is the norm. It's just plain not the norm anywhere else.
Damn, I understand the flakiness thing but I've never had it as bad as some people like you and others describe it as. That just sounds messed up; not calling back and blowing it off later would p*ss the hell out of me and I'd go off on people like that. I'd do that same anywhere else too. Maybe that's why I don't encounter that too much, my friends know better. I've managed to filter out people with that little of loyalty, morals, and character. I know I can be kind of aggro and blunt with people but it helps keep it real and filter out that flakes and BS'ers very well. I would never even attempt to deal with people with that little of respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
I've encountered flaky people from everywhere. Like Radical347 said, some people just suck.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
I apologized in that thread and haven't touched it since. Anyways I'm open to the fair crticisms of SD, but some of them are really off the wall like it's "full of rude people everywhere" "It lacks culture and intellectualism" Those are the kind of criticisms I take hard because they are simply not true and I don't want posters thinking of moving here seeing that and thinking that's how it is for real when those are off the wall statements.
Hey man, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about that. If someone decides to move to SD, they're going to do it regardless of what anyone on a forum says. This city is high on people's list.

For what it's worth, I know people here aren't rude. I can talk crap and poke fun at the city and people are still nice to me so that says a lot. Like someone else said, just enjoy Sd because it's true that your passion for it is strong, like my passion for my home. I know what that's like.

Go to Lake Murray or Lake Miramar. Or Fiesta Island or Torrey Pines or Mt. Laguna or maybe go clubbing downtown or PB. I've done both. Go the to Adams Ave. st fair, it's coming up if it hasn't passed. Just try not to let others get you down. I have done all of the above things in SD.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Shut up and get a life. like seriously. I'm out. This place is lame at times. for real.

Pot does wonderful things. like seriously. Try it sometime. I'm out. Peace.
Quote:
You all bitched about me attacking people for bashing sd but then when I do something to calm myself you still *****. ungrateful middle aged pricks. seriously. get a life.
Good god, just give up already. It's obvious you can't handle C-D and all that it entails including negative remarks about SD. You give SD a bad name on other forums so might as well quite now before you make the city look worse than you already have.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:28 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post

...you can have it...no culture,no diversity, nothing to do....Enjoy.

Wow,
And what experiences do you have in NC? Every location has it's advantages and disadvantages. Please look up best places to live. Just Google it. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Area is constantly in the top 10.

Some people value affordability and education, which may not be a priority for you babe. Besides, he is talking about retiring, and SD is not a cheap place to live.

This just came up on CNN:
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...mag/index.html

Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Default Well This Has Been Intersting!

There are so many things I love about San Diego and the things that are not so good are things found thoughout the State such as income tax. Whenever I close my eyes and picture a place where I am "Chillaxing" I think of SD and HI (where I am now). The beaches, THE WEATHER JUST THE WHOLE OVERALL SEA TO MOUNTAIN ENVIRONMENT - AHHHH I like having the same vibe here in HI, but I want it on the Mainland, thus our return to CONUS.
To the pp who thought military folks are rude and brash, I understand that is your perception with which I strongly disagree. For many seasoned military folks and their spouses they have adapted quickly to new environ or suffered badly (and perhaps the latter is what you encountered). We always looked forward to the new location and attempted to become a part of the community quickly, because we didn't have the luxury of time to development friendships over a long period of time. If you were lucky or so blessed, you could get a follow-on tour or a return tour to places you enjoyed.
For whatever reason I could not get a tour in SD, although I wanted one (my designator was Intelligence and during most of my Active Duty time women were not onboard ships) if that had been the case I could have gotten SD when asked.
Anyway, eventhough I love San Diego, I did find when we lived in the Rancho Penasquitos area, I had some difficulty cultivating friendships with my neighbors. Did not have that same problem when we lived in the Bay Area - that I just don't understand!!

Old 09-12-2010, 03:17 AM

256 posts, read 736,402 times
Transient, lack of roots.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:24 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
Transient, lack of roots.
Not sure I agree with this. I'm not an SD native but I have roots here, both established and a bit were here. In my case, it's a bit different as my dad is from SD and my mom, while born in Oakland, graduated HS here.

Also, once you've been here a while, whether you like SD or not, you will become established in much the same way as a native does.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Is the water quality really that bad?
No, California has very high water quality laws so the water quality coming out of the tape is quite good. Now, due to the fact that most of it must be imported and it costs big money to maintain and build all those aqueducts and reservoirs so the cost of water is pretty high but quality isn't a concern.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:47 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I don't know whether this would classify as a San Diego thing but I've noticed whenever I drove down to SD, traffic on the freeways, all cars go the same speed in all the lanes. Usually happens around the Oceanside area, before the 805 forks off. Weird, indeed.
I think that is more of an Oceanside thing (bad drivers not moving right) which I credit to loads of people from fly over states coming there with their horrible driving habits. Most native Californians know slow traffic needs to move right and the fast lane needs to be kept open as a passing lane but the transplants are still driving like they're on some country lane in Tennessee rather then in a major urban center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego